Any DDR fans?

I love ddr, but I don't think I know enough about building to even being to justify this. I have wanted to build one for a long time, but I guess I just always talk myself out of it.

Whole hell of a lot of effort. I'd recommend getting an Ignition at EB with the extended warranty.

Actually, I'd recommend 2, for Doubles.

It may cost some extra but I highly recommend the Cobalt Flux pads. I was using the 1" foam insert pads, first 2 lasted bout 6 months while I was learning, second 2 lasted bout 3 months, and I assume it would just go downhill from there. I have had the CF's for almost 6 months now, and while they are a tad bit scuffed up, they still respond like they are new. And they don't move around at all!!!

Doubles is a lot of fun. So is In the Groove battle mode. I just need someone that is at a comparable level to play with.

I was a DDR fanatic from the ages of 14-17, then I just got tired of it. You know the one kid at the arcade that you hated that kept hogging the DDR machine, that was me. Every once in a while I'll jump on one at the local arcade after a flick with some friends, other wise I pretty much gave it up. Although I do have the DDR pad for the PS2, and I own all US releases of DDR (all collecting dust). Can't wait until the mario dance mix, :bouncy: Long Live Bemani! :bouncy:

I built two of these myself. They're very durable, and since you build them, you know how to fix them. If you're handy and able to solder, it only takes about 10 hours for the first pad and you save a lot more compared to buying a Cobalt Flux which I think is one of the only pads comparable to the one I've built.

I've seen the home built DDR pads before, but this seems pretty good. Anyways I have a Ignition pad I got for $20 and it works just as well. Greatest pad for the cheapest price.

Sweet jesus thats an old page. Surprised thats still up. I used this page back in 2002 to help me make my own ddr pad, I modified it a bit though cause I wanted a 6-arrow pad for solo mode.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']It may cost some extra but I highly recommend the Cobalt Flux pads. I was using the 1" foam insert pads, first 2 lasted bout 6 months while I was learning, second 2 lasted bout 3 months, and I assume it would just go downhill from there. [/QUOTE]

Hence my recommendation of the extended warranty. It would have to fail 20 times to catch up to the price of the CF, not to mention that raised arrows make about a million times more sense than sunken ones. And of course there's the fact that jumping on a soft mat is much more comfortable than hard metal.

And to head off the next question, no, it doesn't slide significantly, especially if you tape two together as I do, doubling the surface area. You might need to shift it a couple inches ever 5 songs or so, but it'll never move enough to mess you up in the slightest in a 10 foot song.

Some people might prefer sunken arrows because its more like the arcade, and you're supposed to wear shoes while you play on a CF which is, again, more arcade-like. Instead of sending one out for a replacement everytime it breaks, someone might want a durable pad that would last them a really long time.

[quote name='mkelehan'] And of course there's the fact that jumping on a soft mat is much more comfortable than hard metal.[/QUOTE]
I agree with that. That has to be my biggest problem with the hard pad is you need good shoes to play.

And to head off the next question, no, it doesn't slide significantly, especially if you tape two together as I do, doubling the surface area. You might need to shift it a couple inches ever 5 songs or so, but it'll never move enough to mess you up in the slightest in a 10 foot song.
I never did tape my 2 soft pads together. I also am not up to 10 foot songs yet. But playing Breakdown heavy the soft pad by itself would have turned by the end of the song. And in endless mode that gets a tad bit annoying.

The warrantee on a good soft pad would be a good idea. I have never had EB offer me a warrantee but if you could get one and they will replace the pad with no questions asked it may be good. What does the price of the warrantee end up running? I have found that the soft pads I had used started to loose sensitivity farily quickly, and required me cutting the pad open to fix. I am not sure they would take the pad back after that. So you would really need some good soft pads to compare with a CF for sensativity in my opinion.

[quote name='RandomNPC']Some people might prefer sunken arrows because its more like the arcade, and you're supposed to wear shoes while you play on a CF which is, again, more arcade-like. Instead of sending one out for a replacement everytime it breaks, someone might want a durable pad that would last them a really long time.[/QUOTE]
That is the other nice thing. It is closer to the arcade. I believe they are even going to be selling a kit to make it even more like the arcade (to simulate the sunken arrows if I recall correctly).

And yes not having to send a soft pad out for replacement every few weeks is also another good plus.

I have had it for just a bit under 6 months. It is time to take a look at the actual pad and see if it should be sent back for any repairs under their warrantee. But I play on it every day and have not noticed anything that would require it to be fixed. It is a nice quality product that has great sensitivity. I just wish I had ordered it earlier in my DDR 'career'.

the ignition pads are well worth it.. all my ddr freak friends have them.. me i don't care for the game much.. I'll only play it at the arcade.. home versions just don't compare. (especially since the home versions don't have Little Bitch)

Cobalt Flux will take just about any level of playing, while only sliding around minimally.
BTW, I know the one of the home versions has Little Bitch on it.

[quote name='urzishra14']the ignition pads are well worth it.. all my ddr freak friends have them.. me i don't care for the game much.. I'll only play it at the arcade.. home versions just don't compare. (especially since the home versions don't have Little Bitch)[/QUOTE]

You could just download stepmania and get that song. I have over 400 songs on my stepmania folder.

I luckily have 2 cobalt fluxes from a friend who doesn't have a working PS2! NOW THATS CHEAP ASS. Yeah these things are great button sometimes you have to really stomp on them if you don't have shoes on (example: me). They aren't hard metal they have plexiglass type material on the top. My friend got these when they were first made and they still work today.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']
The warrantee on a good soft pad would be a good idea. I have never had EB offer me a warrantee but if you could get one and they will replace the pad with no questions asked it may be good. What does the price of the warrantee end up running? I have found that the soft pads I had used started to loose sensitivity farily quickly, and required me cutting the pad open to fix. I am not sure they would take the pad back after that. So you would really need some good soft pads to compare with a CF for sensativity in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

$10 for the warranty, and they don't even look at it before they take it back. You can do whatever you want to it. And the sensitivity in the Ignition is second to none; it's another one of the reasons I prefer it to any hard pad.

[quote name='cyrix`']I luckily have 2 cobalt fluxes from a friend who doesn't have a working PS2! NOW THATS CHEAP ASS. Yeah these things are great button sometimes you have to really stomp on them if you don't have shoes on (example: me). They aren't hard metal they have plexiglass type material on the top. My friend got these when they were first made and they still work today.[/QUOTE]

I don't like how they're perfectly flat though. I can get a little off-center on those, and it feels like I'm cheating a little.

[quote name='cyrix`']cheating? how so,

yeh i also don't like it being level but the screws kinda help[/QUOTE]

You don't have to lift your feet as much.

CF? Enjoy wrecking your legs since you're essentially pounding them on a block of wood, one that gives even less than those INDIVIDUAL panels on a DDR pad at the arcade.
Seriously I'd like to build both a Pump pad and DDR metal pad using the actual sensors from the arcade. Basically I'd knock off the arcade pads design, GUT both pads, make a separate plastic piece for the hardware at the top of the pad and voila! Self contained pad with PANELS that take the impact and is arcade perfect, unfortunately no one's done it or done it right. Beat Gear may be the only one.

[quote name='Sarang01']CF? Enjoy wrecking your legs since you're essentially pounding them on a block of wood, one that gives even less than those INDIVIDUAL panels on a DDR pad at the arcade.[/QUOTE]
Thats where a good pair of shoes come in. Remember there are plenty of people that go out running every day and they are in far better shape for running on cement than I am for playing on a block of wood.

I also have the Cobalt Flux. Best DDR purchase I ever made. I have had it for almost 2 years and it still works perfectly. I looked into the home made metal pads but it looked too complicated for me.

I looked into building my own pad but I ended up just buying one insead. I simply don't have the building skills and tools to make one myself. I went with the Red Octane Afterburner but I kinda wished I spent the extra hundred and got the Cobalt Flux instead because they are way more durable and RO customer support is a complete joke.

Used to have an Ignition V3.0 before I got the Afterburner. It's a great pad but they don't last a long time. I've heard that EB doesn't offer the warranty replacement for them anymore since there has been so many returns on them.

bread's done
Back