Any deals on XP now that Vista is out?

office depot usually has the upgrade versions for cheap with rebates. I got a copy a few months back for $10 after rebate and coupon.

[quote name='jthieme']Still running Win98 here and probably going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade soon. Anyone know of deals on XP, preferrably pro?[/QUOTE]

Just buy a new computer.. You will need to buy the full verision of windows vista plus your computer will still run slow.. YOu can get a nice dual core computer with windows vista for about 500 with the monitor from bestbuy. Sell the monitor and a really nice system
Otherwise bestbuy is give some freebies. and staples is give a usb flash drive plus use a coupon

Just buy a new computer.. You will need to buy the full verision of windows vista plus your computer will still run slow.. YOu can get a nice dual core computer with windows vista for about 500 with the monitor from bestbuy. Sell the monitor and a really nice system
Otherwise bestbuy is give some freebies. and staples is give a usb flash drive plus use a coupon
He wants XP, and some people don't want to upgrade their whole system just for some crappy eye candy on the "upgrade" that is Vista.

[quote name='jthieme']Still running Win98 here and probably going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade soon. Anyone know of deals on XP, preferrably pro?[/quote]

If you or a friend attend a university, most colleges offer deals on software anyway. Who knows, there might be clearances on the older stuff as M$ forces out the old and tries to cram the new down your throat :)

Thanks for the ideas. There's nothing wrong with my computer, I upgrade my hardware all of the time so buying a new computer just for a copy of XP isn't an option. It's also been over 20 years since I've been in a University so a student discount isn't an option for me either. I checked Office Depot and no sales this week unfortunately, but I'll check there periodically. And Vista's out of the question, XP has enough compatibility issues with older hardware/games.

In the past, Microsoft hasn't dropped the price on old operating systems. Of course that doesn't mean you won't be able to find the occasional deal at someplace trying to get rid of old stock. Good luck!

In the CC ad if you buy Vista you get these 6 items for free:
wireless router
printer
norton security suite
tax cut
spy sweeper
windows one live care

[quote name='ZerotypeX']In the CC ad if you buy Vista you get these 6 items for free:
wireless router
printer
norton security suite
tax cut
spy sweeper
windows one live care[/quote]
Looks like it's only upgrade editions, though, no stand-alones. I don't know about you, but "upgrading" your OS and just over-writing the new one overtop the old never goes well. Too many little things that can go wrong...I'm surprised there's even a market for it.

Technically speaking, let's say the only full OS you own is 98 and you got the XP upgrade, and then buy the Vista upgrade. If you installed from scratch, say after a format or on a completely new system, wouldn't that mean you have to install 98 1st, XP on top, and THEN Vista, since neither of the latter 2 are full install versions?

I thought the upgrade versions allowed you to install to a separate partition and dual boot? There no way I'm getting rid of my Win98 partition. But regardless, I don't want Vista, unless the Vista keys will work with XP?

No. For XP at least the upgrade disc offers to format and install windows clean and new. You even get the New OS smell for free. The only thing it does is look to see if you have a 98 or me full install disc and not of those upgrade discs.

[quote name='jthieme']I thought the upgrade versions allowed you to install to a separate partition and dual boot? There no way I'm getting rid of my Win98 partition. But regardless, I don't want Vista, unless the Vista keys will work with XP?[/quote]

If all of the space on your boot drive is allocated, you'd have to reformat befor eyou could create seperate partions (at least in my experience). I believe there's software which can create new partitions without doing that, but I've never had a use for it. That, or install it on a completely separate hdd.

I have an upgrade version of XP (had it for a couple of years) and it will install on an empty drive. All you need to do is pop in a disc that allows the upgrade for about 30 seconds and then you are good.

TBW

Comp USA had the XP Home upgrade for 39.99 about 3 weeks ago. My local one sold out the first day. No rainchecks. So I'm keeping my eye out.

My g/f is a manager at an Office Max, she's supposed to let me know if they have any sweet deals on XP.

And there usually is some kind of hack or workaround that will allow you do do a full install from an upgrade CD. If you're going from 98, I would think XP would have to do a fresh install anyway due to the NT kernel.

Just buy the OEM version at newegg, It's only $140 and you can choose x64 or regular. You even get a coupon for a free Vista upgrade.

bread's done
Back