any decent karaoke game?

EvilE

CAGiversary!
Is there any decent karaoke game on the Wii? My wife and I thought it would be kinda fun and humorous to have if friends are over and drinking etc..

I think the only Wii Karaoke games are:

Boogie
American Idol Encore 1 & 2
Disney Sing It
High School Musical

Out of those I would probably go for one of the American Idol games. Check wikipedia to see what songs are in each and pick the list you like best.

[quote name='tsmvengy']I think the only Wii Karaoke games are:

Boogie
American Idol Encore 1 & 2
Disney Sing It
High School Musical

Out of those I would probably go for one of the American Idol games. Check wikipedia to see what songs are in each and pick the list you like best.[/quote]

Um...aren't you forgetting something? Rock Band? Far more than just a karaoke game, but it can definitely be used for those purposes. And now that they're doing DLC for the Wii version of Rock Band, I'd say this is your most versatile option. Plus, you could always spring for the instruments, and you've got the best party you can buy! :)

Yeah, I second Rock Band. Go for 2 though as it's light years better than 1. And Guitar Hero World Tour should be good as well, but I haven't played it yet.

You could do Rock Band but I think playing it with just the vocals wouldn't be as much fun as the other games. If you want to do the instruments and everything then sure, it's better.

But how does RB2's singing portion compare to the dedicated karaoke games? I've never played any of the dedicated games and I've only played RB1 (on a PS2), not RB2, but the RB1 version seemed pretty limited. It may be, though, that that's all there is to all the karaoke games, though. I don't know.

[quote name='crunchewy']But how does RB2's singing portion compare to the dedicated karaoke games? I've never played any of the dedicated games and I've only played RB1 (on a PS2), not RB2, but the RB1 version seemed pretty limited. It may be, though, that that's all there is to all the karaoke games, though. I don't know.[/quote]

I would think that this depends on the styles of music that you prefer. I primarily got the Rock Band games for the singing. As much as I love to sing I can't imagine trying to slog through the setlists of the songs in any of the other Karaoke games.

Unless some of the mentioned games are completely broken (which I have never heard); I would expect that you should look at the track listings and figure out what has the most songs that you want to sing. Even with a game like Rock Band that essentially covers 1 genre of music there are songs that I consider duds. There is nothing worse that playing Karaoke with songs that you don't like. Rock Band 2 has the benefit of letting you "skip" songs that you know you aren't interested in.

[quote name='crunchewy']But how does RB2's singing portion compare to the dedicated karaoke games? I've never played any of the dedicated games and I've only played RB1 (on a PS2), not RB2, but the RB1 version seemed pretty limited. It may be, though, that that's all there is to all the karaoke games, though. I don't know.[/quote]
We've actually found the singing in Guitar Hero: World Tour to be a little better than in Rock Band. It's still limited, but it's easier to tell what you are doing and the mix seems better for hearing yourself.

As far as the dedicated karaoke games go, I definitely recommend the Karaoke Revolution American Idol games.

The first Boogie only has one player singing at a time and the vocal tracking is not great. The singing is better in Boogie Superstar but the song selection is very limited and sticks closely to one genre.

We haven't played the various Disney singing games because we don't know the songs.

Yeah, I would agree that it does depend on your musical tastes. If you swing a little more toward the pop and r&b side, KR:AI is the way to go. If you're more of a rocker (especially of the 80s/90s variety) then Rock Band or GH:WT would suit you perfectly. And if you're a 12 year old, then you might enjoy Boogie, Sing It, or HSM, haha.

I own every Karaoke Revolution game and both Rock Bands, and I really don't find the singing portions to be that different in structure. After all, both were created by Harmonix. I also have GH:WT, but haven't done much with the singing...but I do know that it has one of the most fun karaoke songs of all time (Bon Jovi's "Livin on a Prayer").

Overall, I'd say definitely look at the track lists and pick the one you like best. In the end, karaoke is karaoke. It may seem like a waste to buy Rock Band just to use as a singing game. But I know people who buy it only to play the guitar part...and to me, that seems like a waste. It's really just about what you're into. I still think Rock Band gives you the most options, but if you've got friends who want to sing Barry White, or Cher, or Stevie Wonder, then yeah...go for KR:AI.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Overall, I'd say definitely look at the track lists and pick the one you like best. In the end, karaoke is karaoke.[/quote]
While I do agree with this, what I have found in playing all these karaoke games (we also recently went back and got all the PS2 Singstar and KR games) is that I end up enjoying singing the songs I have never even heard the most.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier related to this is that I find the pitch indicator to be especially helpful in the KR games. For a song I don't know, it let's you "cheat" while waiting for the lyrics to scroll all the way over by figuring out where your voice needs to be for the next line.

bread's done
Back