Any dentists?

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I know this is a weird place to ask, but I could use some advice. Basically one of my teeth feels more sensitive (I've always had sensitive teeth) tonight, mainly to cold water. I looked at it, and there looks to possibly be a weird almost brush strand like thing on it, the tip of which is pink (its really hard to see, as I don't have good mirrors). I take very good care of my teeth, brush 3-4 times a day, flossing more lately, and regular get compliments from dentists about how well I take care of them, so it seems very unlikely to me that is have a cavity (though it has been a while since I've had a cleaning). Insurance hasn't kicked in yet, so it will be at least a few weeks before I can go, so if anyone has any idea what could be wrong and if I should ne concerned, please let me know.

I realize this might sound a little stupid, but I get very nervous about any tooth related problems, and just had to ask someone:cry:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Shit sounds like an exposed nerve.[/QUOTE]

is that serious? Is there a chance it will heal by itself? Any idea what might have caused it?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope you don't mind,

I am not a dentist but I advise you see one right away.

Exposed nerves are usually the result of cracks/chips due to trauma... have you bumped your mouth recently? Have you chomped on anything too hard to chew accidentally (like a fork)?

I wouldn't freak out until you visit the dentist. I know it's Sunday but this is the kind of thing that shouldn't wait. If it is an exposed nerve it will not heal by itself.

Also you should not be brushing more than 3 times a day. I honestly think more than 2 (plus one floss and rinse) is overkill. Sensitive teeth are due to porous enamel which could be worsened by excess brushing.

[quote name='willardhaven']I am not a dentist but I advise you see one right away.

Exposed nerves are usually the result of cracks/chips due to trauma... have you bumped your mouth recently? Have you chomped on anything too hard to chew accidentally (like a fork)?

I wouldn't freak out until you visit the dentist. I know it's Sunday but this is the kind of thing that shouldn't wait. If it is an exposed nerve it will not heal by itself.[/QUOTE]

I really don't recall any sort of trauma, and I feel I would have, well, felt something like that. I mean, can you really chip a tooth that easily? I will try to see one soon:cry:

It really depends on how hard you hit or bite down on the tooth. Tooth sensitivity has a lot of causes but most of them deal with erosion of the enamel. That's why I suggest easing up on the brushing. It is not necessarily your behavior that caused the sensitivity though. That's why I suggest you see a professional ASAP. They can tell you what your situation is and what you can do.

I'm surprised your dentist hasn't educated you on the cause of your tooth sensitivity. It's fairly common but it's a good idea to know where it might be coming from. For example, brushing 4 times a day or using too much mouthwash are possible causes.

As for easing up on your teeth, I do things like eat an apple after lunch instead of brushing. Follow up with regular drinks of water and you can keep your mouth clean without brushing.

[quote name='willardhaven']It really depends on how hard you hit or bite down on the tooth. Tooth sensitivity has a lot of causes but most of them deal with erosion of the enamel. That's why I suggest easing up on the brushing. It is not necessarily your behavior that caused the sensitivity though. That's why I suggest you see a professional ASAP. They can tell you what your situation is and what you can do.

I'm surprised your dentist hasn't educated you on the cause of your tooth sensitivity. It's fairly common but it's a good idea to know where it might be coming from. For example, brushing 4 times a day or using too much mouthwash are possible causes.

As for easing up on your teeth, I do things like eat an apple after lunch instead of brushing. Follow up with regular drinks of water and you can keep your mouth clean without brushing.[/QUOTE]

I guess I could be brushing to hard, I will ease up a bit. I've been between several dentists all the past several most recent times, and IMO they were not very good, so it doesn't really surprise me that they wouldn't try to explain something like that. I really just have to wait a little longer for insurance to start, but I can try to go early I guess and just eat the costs, if you think it might be serious.

Yeah I would definitely call a dentist ASAP. Things like this become more expensive if you wait. A good dentist will help you figure out the best option for treatment along with your budgetary needs.

You are without medical coverage entirely?

At the moment. Insurance starts in a few weeks, and that's when I was going to go, but ill see what I can do. Thank you for your help, hopefully its not to bad (but knowing ny luck...)

I googled images of exposed nerves. Saw some pretty nasty pics. You sure you don't perhaps have a toothbrush bristle or floss stuck in there?

[quote name='mitch079']I googled images of exposed nerves. Saw some pretty nasty pics. You sure you don't perhaps have a toothbrush bristle or floss stuck in there?[/QUOTE]

It's on my front left tooth (forget what its called), so I don't think that's possible. I really don't know what it is, maybe its been there and I never noticed. I've had weird teeth problems before, so it wouldn't exactly surprise me. Thanks for doing the googling though, glad I didn't have to see that*_*

I used to brush after every time I ate something. The only result was people saying how great my teeth looked. I've never heard of brushing too much.

I just hate the way it tastes when I haven't brushed my teeth, and my breath can get rather bad if I don't. I hadn't heard of brushing to much either, but it sounds like it could be a problem:/

If your brushing technique is incorrect you may be harming your teeth if you're brushing them incorrectly 4 times a day. Otherwise brushing after every meal isn't that bad even if unusual - kids with braces are encouraged to do that, but obviously for different reasons.

[quote name='kodave']If your brushing technique is incorrect you may be harming your teeth if you're brushing them incorrectly 4 times a day. Otherwise brushing after every meal isn't that bad even if unusual - kids with braces are encouraged to do that, but obviously for different reasons.[/QUOTE]

well now I get to feel like an idiot an google how to brush your teeth:lol:

Bad breath comes mostly from acidity and the breakdown of organic material (if I remember correctly). Eating something like an apple is good for getting rid of most of the stuff left on your teeth. Drinking water flushes between your teeth (the opposite effect of soda). Altoids are also a great way to keep your breath fresh (low sugar, lasts quite a while).

Brushing after every meal is ideal. But you sound like you are one of those people whose brush bristles are all bent from how hard you scrub. People like that should only brush 2 times a day.

Haven't had a chance to go, but it's not really hurting anymore. I've been brushing lighter, as I think you were right that I was doing it to hard. Thanks for all advice everyone, whenever I can finally get to a dentist I will try to update this.

I've had an exposed nerve before, and it's not something that needs immediate attention. The worst thing that can happen is they pull the tooth. I would wait until you get the insurance. However, don't do something to make it worse. If you chip or fracture it and really expose that nerve, it's going to hurt worse than you can possibly imagine.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I've had an exposed nerve before, and it's not something that needs immediate attention. The worst thing that can happen is they pull the tooth. I would wait until you get the insurance. However, don't do something to make it worse. If you chip or fracture it and really expose that nerve, it's going to hurt worse than you can possibly imagine.[/QUOTE]

well pulling the tooth would be really bad IMO. I don't know how I could have chipped it, so I think it must be something else. I really don't know, hopefully when I get to a dentist they can tell me.

bread's done
Back