Any Ebay Sellers Run into this? scam?

JediKiller24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Have an unusual situation that I've not run into before, and wondered if anyone had some insight. It sounds like a scam to me, but contacting Ebay support got me nowhere. So thought I'd ask if anyone had a similar experience.

I received a message through Ebay from a member (Strange ebay name too, it's 'member#####' where the '#' are actual numbers) on the 17th, saying 'I bought this item, FAST SHIPPING! BUT NO PLUG! can you help?' The thing is, there was no reference to any item number. I have a lot of items listed, and have recently sold a bunch of items, 3 of which were electrical, and I'm sure all 3 had plugs when they were shipped. At the top of the message, Ebay tells you your history with that member, and it says they have not bid on anything from me in the last 90 days (nor I them). Confused, I wrote back on the 17th saying I didn't know what they were talking about, and could they please reference an item #. I got a response to the affect 'sorry about that, I'll send you another email with the item #/listing' (why didn't she just do it right then?) So I don't hear anything else until today. Today the message says 'I bought this item, shipped it to a friend for her birthday. It was missing the plug! can you help?' again, no item #, and again from an account that has not bought anything from me. Interestingly enough, the account has a 100% positive feedback with over 1000 ratings.
It was at this point that I suspect a scam and called eBay support, however, they said it sounded like a confused customer, and perhaps they thought I was customer support, and if I hear back, I should direct the person to eBay support. dude from Ebay was not at all helpful, imo.

Anyway, was just looking for anyone's thoughts or input on this. Has anyone had a similar situation, or heard of such a thing? Thanks in advance...

The only time I ran into a similar situation was when someone had two accounts and was sending a message from the wrong account. When I pointed out to ebay that the person had two accounts because they were threatening to leave me negative feedback if I didn't refund them for an item that I provided proof that was received ebay said "oh well theres no way for us to prove its not a second person in the household". Ebay blows its as simple as that. Hate em

[quote name='chiwii']Were the messages from the same account, or two different accounts?[/QUOTE]

the messages from both days were all from the same account; an account that hasn't bought anything from me. Upon further investigation, I checked the tracking #'s on the 3 items that I had recently mailed that had electrical cords (since I still don't know what item the person is referring to), and realized that *none* of them had been delivered by the 17th which is when I got the first message. The first package to be delivered from the 3 was delivered on the 18th. so I'm leaning more and more towards this is shenanigans.

If this is a scam, I have no idea how it works.

My first thought it that she thinks that you might have an extra power cord that she needs, and she would like you to sell her one. Can you look at her feedback and try to find out if she recently bought something that is similar to one of the items that you recently sold?

[quote name='chiwii']If this is a scam, I have no idea how it works.

My first thought it that she thinks that you might have an extra power cord that she needs, and she would like you to sell her one. Can you look at her feedback and try to find out if she recently bought something that is similar to one of the items that you recently sold?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I looked through her feedback, and it's an eclectic mix of children's books, children's clothes, and old punk records. I could see if she thought maybe I had more power cords that she might *ask* about them, but to say she bought something that she didn't from me and that there was no cord? strange. I figured they were trying to get me to give an erroneous refund to them for something they didn't buy.

I figure I've contacted Ebay about it, I'm just going to let it ride for now. If she continues to contact me, I'll try to get eBay involved again. still feeling puzzled about it.

I'll update if anything comes of it. Thanks for all the input.

Ebay does blow I send a brand new arcade stick to the buyer.
He gets in contact with me after 25 days and ask for a refund
I was like WTF? He open a dispute and ebay decides to refund him the money taking the money from my paypal account. Ebay has protection program for buyers but what about the sellers Man I hope ebay gets hack and they lose million of dollars just like i have lost my money using this Sh!t.

bread's done
Back