Any experience with trading in games to Best Buy B&M?

AJVtony831

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Some of the values listed on the Best buy trade in site are pretty high and was thinking of trading in a few things this saturday at their store. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with trading in to BB B&M. Are they strict? Are there any rules? I've read in some forums while doing a google search about a receipt being required to trade in items.

I can't stand bb trade ins. Some stores only do trades if you have a bb receipt. Some stores make you give a fingerprint. Some stores do trades in 5 minutes. Some stores pretend like they don't do trades bc they don't know how to do it. Bb does have some kick ass values though. But at least in my experience its so ymmv that its almost not even worth it

It varies from store to store and area to area, as steve nash said. Some will require a fingerprint to trade in, some will require you have a receipt showing you bought the game(s) at a BB store and still some others will just take your stuff and you'll be in and out in 5-10 minutes max.

It all depends on the laws in your area and how they interpret their own companies' policies. If you're lucky you're in an area like mine where they take the games in in trade and don't require anything but your ID for the trades.

Last edited by a moderator:
if they give you any sort of junk in store about no trades or requiring a receipt, go to the customer kiosk in the computer section and look up bestbuy.com/gametradein and show them

I have never been asked for a receipt at Best Buy for trading in my games, nor any of the other problems. In fact I have had nothing but good experiences thus far, and have managed to get some great prices on stuff, usually more than I had paid for some.

I found out the other day though in Tucson AZ if you wanna trade in a tv, phone, console, anything OTHER THAN A GAME, you need a BB receipt. I don't know why this is but whatever. Made more for my 3g iphone on Craigslist.

Argh I tried this a few months back. To trade in 5 games, it took them 40 minutes! I had to go to the back of the store to this video game center area. They asked me for a receipt for the games, in which I told them I didn't have one. 99% of the people trading in games do not have their receipt they either threw it away years/months ago. They need to eliminate that annoying policy because not many people keep their receipts for very long. Now if bb gave you full credit for what you bought it for if you show them the BB receipt...then it would be a good reason to keep it , but that's never going to happen.

There are really no good promos or benefits to trading in with BB. 5-6 years ago when they were testing out this system with select stores, it was banging! I got like 30-40 dollars trade in for Robocop (XB) where I picked it up for 5 at TRU!
Microcenter also had some good promos in the beginning as well when they did it in 2007..now it's shit.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Argh I tried this a few months back. To trade in 5 games, it took them 40 minutes! I had to go to the back of the store to this video game center area. They asked me for a receipt for the games, in which I told them I didn't have one. 99% of the people trading in games do not have their receipt they either threw it away years/months ago. They need to eliminate that annoying policy because not many people keep their receipts for very long. Now if bb gave you full credit for what you bought it for if you show them the BB receipt...then it would be a good reason to keep it , but that's never going to happen.

There are really no good promos or benefits to trading in with BB. 5-6 years ago when they were testing out this system with select stores, it was banging! I got like 30-40 dollars trade in for Robocop (XB) where I picked it up for 5 at TRU!
Microcenter also had some good promos in the beginning as well when they did it in 2007..now it's shit.[/QUOTE]
It probably took that long because the employees weren't trained on it and had to ask about every little facet of the program as they went along. That's what happened on one of my first trips to BB to trade in games.

It does suck that they're not trying to add in promos to sweeten the trades, but I made $30 more than I would've by trying to trade stuff into GS(if I were still allowed to trade there:cry:) or Amazon by going to BB with my games. Of course, I don't even think Amazon would've taken four of my games, since they had NOT FOR RESALE in place of the barcodes, but BB took them after manually looking them up.

All totalled I made $258 from sixteen games, which is not too damn shabby considering how little I paid for them all.;) Even better is the fact that BB now sells Kindle branded gift cards which is essentially a way to cash out BB credit for Amazon credit, which is still much more useful in PA as they're still fighting the state's attempts to have them charge tax.;)

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']I have never been asked for a receipt at Best Buy for trading in my games, nor any of the other problems. In fact I have had nothing but good experiences thus far, and have managed to get some great prices on stuff, usually more than I had paid for some.

I found out the other day though in Tucson AZ if you wanna trade in a tv, phone, console, anything OTHER THAN A GAME, you need a BB receipt. I don't know why this is but whatever. Made more for my 3g iphone on Craigslist.[/QUOTE]

Hmm..I'm in PHX myself, so I wonder if that will be a state wide issue? I am planning to reserve MK9 there and I thought trading in some old games toward it might help.

bread's done
Back