Any fish lovers here? Who has a nice aquarium setup?

binici

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just think it would be relaxing once you have a nice aquarium with great looking fish and decorations all ready to go, however, I am a bit of a noob, so any pros here?

What size really matters? Do starter kits seem cheap quality?
Any other accessories that are manadatory?
I plan on doing a fresh water (less maintainance?).
No sunlight should shine on the tank, right?

I have about a $300 budget, so any tips or feedback would be awesome!

Thanks!

I can't speak to freshwater, but I can tell you about having a tank overall. I did saltwater and had a 140 gallon tank. It was an extremely pricey adventure, but it was gorgeous. I truly miss it and only sold it b/c the cost was too high each month to justify while I was unemployed. I was also moving, and moving a fish setup is a huge pain in the ass (something you should consider if you're not set where you are for a few years).

The amount of work was very high initially, but as time went on, I developed a system of doing things that had me working on it about 30 minutes to an hour a week.

In SW, and I would think with freshwater too, the key is to go slow. Nothing good ever happens quickly. Take your time to get some books on it, buy the right equipment that will last, and research stuff you want to buy before you get your setup going. Never just buy a fish, plant, coral, etc. that you see on your trip to the fish store without making sure that you understand how to take care of it and how it will fit with what you already have.

Have fun. It was a bit of a love hate thing for me. I loved looking at it and was proud to show it to people. However, I constantly worried about it and probably did not spend as much time as I had hoped to spend just sitting there and enjoying it.

Another tip in addition to doing a lot of reading on it before you buy is to find a good local fish store, not Petco or the like, so that you have knowledgable helpers. Take some time to learn from them and to feel them out. If they're conscious about developing you as a long-term customer versus just a quick sale, then you'll have a very valuable resource as you learn the hobby.

[quote name='lawhorns04']Another tip in addition to doing a lot of reading on it before you buy is to find a good local fish store, not Petco or the like, so that you have knowledgable helpers. Take some time to learn from them and to feel them out. If they're conscious about developing you as a long-term customer versus just a quick sale, then you'll have a very valuable resource as you learn the hobby.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I have a few fish stores around my house, which I will visit before the Petco's in my area.

I definetely will stick with fresh water for the price and less maintenance. Thanks for the advice!

I love aquariums. I used to have a 50 gallon, but had to get rid of it when we moved into a smaller place.

Freshwater will be cheaper and easier to maintain. There isn't as much to worry about as far as water parameters are concerned, and the fish are cheaper too.

I think starter kits are fine for a beginner. They don't have the greatest components, but you can upgrade any components you need or want as you get more experience and know what you want. Make sure to get a water testing kit, which doesn't usually come with the tank kits, and a bottle of dechlorinator, which might come with the kit but it probably won't last long. Once you get more experience and know what you want you can buy online or craigslist to save money.

If you have the money and room for it, spring for a bigger tank. One reason is that fluctuations in water parameters don't happen as quickly with higher water volume, so you can catch problems before they go too far. The other reason is that you can fit more/bigger fish in a bigger tank.

You should familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle before you get a tank. Knowing about this can prevent fish deaths early on, which can be very frustrating.

And a few last personal tips: 1) Decorations are nice, but too many and they are a pain in the butt to clean around. I would start with fewer decorations rather than more. Sometimes some negative space in a tank can enhance the look. 2) Maintain the tank. Aquariums are great, but if you leave it to get dirty water and algae all over the place, it makes it seem like the whole room is dirty.

bread's done
Back