Any free droid must have aps or games?

gargus

Banned
I just got my droid incredible yesterday and Im setting it up now and was curious if there any free aps or games that are must haves.

First time with a smart phone, up till now just been regular type cell phones. Its replacing my razr Ive had for awhile.

Handcent - replacement txt messaging program, TONS of customization options. If you like it, you'll have to figure out how to turn off the stock messaging program so you don't get double notifications.

Timeriffic - you can schedule 'settings' on your phone. For example, I have it set to go silent for when I'm at work

Remotedroid - you can use your phone as a touchpad and keyboard for your computer over your wireless network

Have a guitar? Uses gstrings as a tuner
I like mixzing for my music player
I like to always have different backgrounds since I've downloaded about 60+ so I use "wall switcher" to have it change in 45 minute intervals
Use facebook? There's a million options and I don't like any of them including the stock app. I just make a shortcut to the full page in the phones browser, but I use an app called "Bloo" to give me notification alerts.
Cardio Trainer is a pretty nifty app. It will use the phones GPS to track you if you go running/walking/hiking and tell you your mph, exact distance, calories burned, and show you a map of where you went.
Live Scores if you're a sports fan
MotoTorch to use the camera LED as a flash light (use as a widget)
PocketGoozex can be handy from time to time

Some random widgets I like: Texts from last night, FMLife, Gaming Buzz

Most of the time if you can't figure out what to do on the android OS, a long press will do it (kind of like right clicking on a PC)

Oh yeah, ASTRO as your file manager and if you like tower defense games, try Robo Defense (there's a trial and $2.99 version) the trial is pretty extensive and unlimited, but to support the developer, $2.99 is a small price to pay.

Pandora, Amazon (you can scan upcs in store and it tells you the lowest price)

Just got my moto droid last week and havent installed much. Good thread for me to follow up on.

How do you like the incredible so far? Thats the one I wanted from verizon but it wasnt buy one get one free :( so went with a droid for me an my fiance. Ended up with 50+100 back instant for an "alltel upgrade" so ended up paying 150 for two after rebate :)

[quote name='Steggy']Pandora[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'd recommend Last.FM and/or Slacker over Pandora. Not that Pandora is bad but both Last.FM and Slacker have some nicer benefits even for free users. Slacker has genre stations, Last.FM can let you put together a "station" with multiple styles/genres with ease.

[quote name='Steggy']
How do you like the incredible so far? Thats the one I wanted from verizon but it wasnt buy one get one free :( so went with a droid for me an my fiance. Ended up with 50+100 back instant for an "alltel upgrade" so ended up paying 150 for two after rebate :)[/QUOTE]

Hah same boat as you a few days ago. Damn cool phone.

So there is a ap i have been looking for, ill try to describe it. You hold the phone up eye level and move it around and it will show you whats in certain directions; Like restaurants or stores. Does that sound familiar to anyone? :whistle2:#

Cool, Ill check some of this stuff out in the morning. I spent most of today just messing with it and getting everything set the way I want it.

[quote name='Steggy']How do you like the incredible so far? Thats the one I wanted from verizon but it wasnt buy one get one free :( so went with a droid for me an my fiance. Ended up with 50+100 back instant for an "alltel upgrade" so ended up paying 150 for two after rebate :)[/QUOTE]

Its pretty fucking cool so far. I was worried about battery life but I fully charged it this morning and been playing with it on and off all day, talked for a hour on it and been messing with it most of the day and I have half a charge left. Will improve when I stop fiddling with it so much. But I put shortcuts on the main screen so I turn bluetooth, gps, mobile broadband and wifi on and off just by pushing the button so they dont eat up battery life and when I want one turned on I just hit the button and it connects. I turned the brightness down some and some other things and the battery is doing pretty well considering what all the phone does. It was my only real concern.

But its nice. Everything runs nice and fast on it, has alot of cool stuff in it and surprisingly enough just about each time I think "Hmmm I wonder if I can do this" it comes out that I can.

Internet on it is little speedier than I was expecting also. I mean its not blazing fast but just being a phone its not to bad. Was watching dave chapelle standup on youtube in bed with it earlier for a bit.

The googlemaps thing on it is pretty neat to. Im going to try the turn by turn gps tomorow when I run some errands.

But really there is alot of stuff in here I have no freaking idea what it is cause this is first smartphone I ever had. but so far Im liking it alot.

[quote name='Steggy'] Amazon (you can scan upcs in store and it tells you the lowest price) :)[/QUOTE]

I dont understand, what does it do exactly? Cause that sounds kind of cool actually. I dont know how many times I didnt buy something to wait till I got home to see if I could find it cheaper. But I guess Im not sure how you scan something, what prices from where it tells or what it does really.

[quote name='Lice']So there is a ap i have been looking for, ill try to describe it. You hold the phone up eye level and move it around and it will show you whats in certain directions; Like restaurants or stores. Does that sound familiar to anyone? :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I think you're talking about "Layar"?

Haven't actually gotten an Android handset yet, but been looking really close at the options. I'm seriously interested in more info about the Samsung Galaxy S, got my fingers tightly crossed that it makes it to Sprint!

If you do any jogging I'd recommend Cardio Trainer. I just got the phone and I'm pretty impressed so far minus the weak battery life.

ok I've my Moto Droid for a while now.. Get ready for a list haha

1. 3banana
2. 3d Wallpapers
3. aCar (Awesome for keeping up with maintenance on your car)
4. Advanced Task Killer (A must !!!! will save battery life and end all of the apps running in the background you're not using)
5. AppBrain Market Sync (You can basically look at the app store on your pc and sync them with your phone.. easier than looking on your droid)
6. Astro (Awesome file and folder manager)
7. Astro Bluetooth
8. Audio Manager (very nice Widget for managing all volume levels)
9. Backgrounds (another nice wallpaper program)
10. Barcode Scanner
11. Bluetooth File transfer (super fast way to transfer bigger files that won't fit in text or email)
12. I love Dave Chappelle ( so the Clayton Bigsby, Rick James, Lil Jon and Tyrone Biggums sound boards are awesome clips from his show that was on Comedy Central and you can set them as ring tones and all)
13. Dialer One (nice alternative to the regular phone with better options)
14. Dolphin Browser HD
15. Droid Light (nice and easy light that uses your flash led for a quick flashlight, doesn't risk damaging the led like the mototorch led does)
16. Filkie wallpapers
17. Find my friends (finds your friends and shows on map where they are)
18. Gesture Search and Gesture bar (awesome way to search your entire phone for keywords)
19. Handcent SMS (MUST GET!!!!! Awesome alternative to factory texts, and download the 4 additional font packages they offer too)
20. Google Goggles, Google Map Address, Google Sky Map
21. Nesoid and Snesoid... if you're a fan of nintendo and super nintendo you can play any game ever made for these two systems on your droid.. BADASS !!! and the lite version is free... all games are free also.. full version allows you to save your game.. only difference)
22. Pandora.. the one with the open box as a icon (allows you to password protect all naughty or secret pics so if someone grabs your phone they won't even see them)
23. Pandora (the music player) awesome
24. Talk to me (translates any language imaginable)
25. Tic tac toe
26. Solitaire
27. Trapster (tells where cops are running radar and issuing tickets real time on map) like navigation again AWESOMe app
28. If you have a girl which I do.. Truth or dare (has clean questions or you can make it dirty.. lots of fun
29. Zedge Awesome for ring tones and sounds
30. Zimly (cool media player app)

If you hit the button that looks like lines on the main menu, hit wallpaper, and hit Live Wallpapers, you can have animated wallpapers. Download more from the marketplace by searching "Live Wallpapers". I use the grass one, it changes depending on the time of day. It's nice and subtle. There's a LOT of awesome Live Wallpapers out there, both paid and free.

Other than that..

SiruisXM launched their app today.
Opera is a must have for a browser.
Weather Channel should be standard.
Handcent is the best messaging program around. I have it set up to look like an iPhone text conversation. You can also set the LED light to blink different colors when you get a new message.
Google Earth is fun.
Amazon is fantastic.
Ringdroid allows you to edit ringtones. You can use ringzoo.com and have them sent to the Droid.
Wikidroid is a portable Wikipedia.
Pandora is invaluable.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Honestly I'd recommend Last.FM and/or Slacker over Pandora. Not that Pandora is bad but both Last.FM and Slacker have some nicer benefits even for free users. Slacker has genre stations, Last.FM can let you put together a "station" with multiple styles/genres with ease.[/QUOTE]

Pandora has/lets you do those things too.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Google Shopper will let you scan UPC barcodes and will pull up said product along with online prices and what not. Its freaking sweet.[/QUOTE]

Since it says google shopper Im assuming what it pulls up is like if I went to google.com and searched for something under the shopping tab?

How do you scan? Does it do it with the camera Im assuming?

[quote name='Malik112099']Pandora has/lets you do those things too.[/QUOTE]

Ah... I haven't used Pandora since its early days so perhaps they have added those features. I'll have to give Pandora a good run or two then.

[quote name='gargus']Since it says google shopper Im assuming what it pulls up is like if I went to google.com and searched for something under the shopping tab?

How do you scan? Does it do it with the camera Im assuming?[/quote]

You just scan the barcode with the camera. From there it'll pull up whatever information Google finds under that UPC barcode which will let you get pricing and what not. Very handy.

[quote name='MrJymm']I think you're talking about "Layar"[/QUOTE]

You are the man. Thats the one I saw on the droid commercial. Downloading it now. Thanks alot!

Anyone know of a online guide for the droid incredible phones? Ive got alot of shit in here I dont know what the hell it is, some options dont have explanations I understand and Im trying to figure out how to do some things on it I cant figure out. They gave me quick start manual with it, but it doesnt tell me much.

Also, does anyone know a good quality over the ear (I dont want one you stick in your ear) bluetooth earpiece I can get is that doesnt cost a fortune? Mine took a shit and I need to get a new one.

[quote name='gargus']Anyone know of a online guide for the droid incredible phones? Ive got alot of shit in here I dont know what the hell it is, some options dont have explanations I understand and Im trying to figure out how to do some things on it I cant figure out. They gave me quick start manual with it, but it doesnt tell me much.

Also, does anyone know a good quality over the ear (I dont want one you stick in your ear) bluetooth earpiece I can get is that doesnt cost a fortune? Mine took a shit and I need to get a new one.[/QUOTE]

You looking for the user manual? Here:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/droid-incredible-verizon/downloads/

I'm in the same boat as you, just got my Incredible Thursday and it's the first smartphone I've owned so I'm having a helluva time figuring everything out. I did download the sync manager from that link and it works great syncing my contacts and calendar from Outlook.

I'm trying to find some good free apps too, so thanks all for the suggestions.

1. The Moto Droid is better than the Incredible. Hell, My Droid Eris is better than the Incredible.

2. Not too many that haven't been named yet, but off the top of my head:

Aloqa (shows restaurants, shopping, etc near yoyr location)
Antivirus
Barcode Scanner
Beautiful Widgets (better clocks and icons)
Bonsai Blast (The best game on Android Market)
Dolphin Broswer HD (Although, sometimes it is very slow)
Gearoid (Sega Master System and Game Gear Emulator
Gensoid (Genesis Emulator)
Key Ring (scan all of the bar codes on your key chain into your phone, like your best buy reward zone card or Hollywood video card, for example.)
Pac Man
Pinball
PS3 Friends (shows your ps3 friends online status)
Scoreboard
Shazam (identifies music)
Ustream viewer (watch ppv's for free)
Visual Voicemail
Word Mix Lite
Xbox Live Avatar Widget

[quote name='masked lemon']1. The Moto Droid is better than the Incredible. Hell, My Droid Eris is better than the Incredible. [/QUOTE]

lol...whatever you say dude.

The Incredible is a windows OS. Garbage. Keep thinking it's good though. LOL at someone who hasn't even had his phone for a week acting like he knows all about it.

Enjoy not having an SD card. Have fun not being able to root your phone.

[quote name='masked lemon']The Incredible is a windows OS. Garbage. Keep thinking it's good though. LOL at someone who hasn't even had his phone for a week acting like he knows all about it.

Enjoy not having an SD card. Have fun not being able to root your phone.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm the OS is googles OS they designed called Android, newest version is 2.1. Microsoft didnt make it and its not windows based.

And yes it has a SD card slot. Infact verizon gave me a 2gb sd card and a pc usb adapter with it free as some promo thing. I have yet to use it though since incredible comes with 8gb onboard. The fellow that linked me the full manual for the incredible on the previous page even shows it to you and mine has one.

And Im having alot of fun with my non rooted incredible. Its only a matter of time anyway before its done and when it is, I still wont really care that much because it wont effect me.

So in turn I will say, dont act like you know everything about something you dont know shit about. If you dont like it then what are you doing in here? Or are you one of those folks that has a tiny self esteem and a huge ego so you have to run around forums from behind your pc and make stupid, unfounded, unwarranted and unwanted smart ass remarks so you can feel good about yourself?

[quote name='masked lemon']The Incredible is a windows OS. Garbage.[/QUOTE]

What is that guy high as a kite?...ohh wait...

Hmm. I was misinformed. I was told the Incredible runs on Windows 7 mobile, and not the sense UI.

And it does not come with a SD card, from what I heard.

Still, the Eris and Droid are better phones.

SMH at you fools trying to explain 2.1 to me when I have had it since the leak came out about two months ago.

Like I don't know shit about it. Yeah OK. I don't have a rooted Eris with 2.2 FroYo running or anything...

Nobody has mentioned Replica Island yet?

It's a free game, get it. It's a platformer, sort of like Lode Runner (You can also control enemy robots in this one), with a pretty interesting storyline guiding the experience. I believe it was developed by someone over at Google's Japanese arm, which would explain why it's free and does not have ads.

Other free things that may interest you:
Wifi Analyzer (Useful if you want to see the details of a wi-fi network's connection strength)
Jewels (Bejeweled clone)
OpenSudoku (Sudoku of course, with plenty of puzzles)
Barcode Scanner (Must-have app, since it can scan barcodes and QR codes, and it can interact with other apps)
BatteryTime Lite (Shows how much battery life is left, with time details)
FBReader (E-book reader, personally haven't used much of it)
Package Tracking (Useful if you order or ship a lot of things online, since it stores tracking numbers and notifies you of any changes in status)
Google Listen (Supposed to keep track of music RSS feeds I think, I haven't used much of it)
Google Maps (Valuable map/GPS tool)
Google Shopper (Useful price-comparison app, and it can scan normal barcodes too)
Note Me (A fairly robust Notepad app)
PapiJump (A simple arcade-style game that is controlled via the accelerometer)
Bonsai Blast (It's one of those jewel shooting games... I forget the name of the original, but this is a pretty good version)
Amazon.com (Useful if you want to check Amazon's prices)
eBay
Snake (You can't go wrong with this cell phone classic)
Replica Island ('Cause I can't recommend it enough)

masked lemon - why do you keep saying the Incredible is better than the droid or eris? The incredible has a faster processor than the droid phones that were released in the fall. My mom picked up an incredible after she had a droid and I could tell it was very quick (responsive) in comparison. It's running Android 2.1 just like the Droid, only some features are available for it and not the Droid (active wall papers, more than 3 home screens, and some other small things). Bottom line is that it's a badass little phone. I *hated* that my droid had a keyboard and it made the phone bigger the first few months I bought it, but now I couldn't imagine going without one and I would say that's the only pro to the Droid over the Incredible.

Gargus - if you really wanna know the ins and outs of your phone, check out an forum. When I got my Droid I was spending time on droidforums.com, I think www.incredibleforum.com might be where you want to go.

I have read on numerous other forums people saying that the incredible isn't a good phone. Everyone is going apeshit over the EVO.

I'm more than happy with my Eris.

Let's just leave it at that. They all use the same apps.

[quote name='masked lemon']I have read on numerous other forums people saying that the incredible isn't a good phone. Everyone is going apeshit over the EVO.

I'm more than happy with my Eris.

Let's just leave it at that. They all use the same apps.[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't know much about the phone since you made ridiculous claims about it to begin with that are completely false.

Try not being such a fanboy and attacking products you know little about just to make yourself feel better. Try growing up and acting like an adult before you interact with them.

[quote name='lawdood']you obviously don't know much about the phone since you made ridiculous claims about it to begin with that are completely false.

Try not being such a fanboy and attacking products you know little about just to make yourself feel better. Try growing up and acting like an adult before you interact with them.[/quote]

+1

I am neither a fanboy or someone who needs to grow up. I stated what I was told in other forums.

Not attacking the Incredible. Stating that it is not as good as the other 2 Verizon Droid phones is not attacking it.

Ridiculous claims? The Incredible does not come with an SD card. The Eris and Droid do. That is not attacking either, genius.

I had false info about the OS. Not that big of a deal.

I'm 31 years old son, how much more growing up do you think I need to do, exactly?

[quote name='masked lemon']I am neither a fanboy or someone who needs to grow up. I stated what I was told in other forums.

Not attacking the Incredible. Stating that it is not as good as the other 2 Verizon Droid phones is not attacking it.

Ridiculous claims? The Incredible does not come with an SD card. The Eris and Droid do. That is not attacking either, genius.

I'm 31 years old son, how much more growing up do you think I need to do, exactly?[/QUOTE]

Considering your icon and desire to bash things that you know nothing about on the internet, I'd say quite a bit.

[quote name='masked lemon']I am neither a fanboy or someone who needs to grow up. I stated what I was told in other forums.

I'm 31 years old son, how much more growing up do you think I need to do, exactly?[/QUOTE]

The Incredible comes with an SD card, it was in the box with my phone and I have it inside as I type this, another completely wrong statement you've made.

It can take up to a 32g SD card in fact.

You may exit this thread that way -------->

...as part of the promotion, as you stated.

You may stop turning this into a debate and get the thread back on topic.

ok, so the froyo update has been rolled out to regular droids.. it's nice and fast.

Is there a decent e-mail widget to check my hotmail account? Or any good widget, for that matter. I'm using LauncherPro and have seven screens.

[quote name='Scorch']ok, so the froyo update has been rolled out to regular droids.. it's nice and fast.[/QUOTE]

It has? Dammit, doesn't look like it's reached mine yet.

A couple of games I like to play are:
-WordFeud
-Pocket Empires Online

If anyone wants to play WordFeud, my name is "aquaboy1976"

[quote name='aquaboy1976']A couple of games I like to play are:
-WordFeud
-Pocket Empires Online

If anyone wants to play WordFeud, my name is "aquaboy1976"[/QUOTE]

Sent an invite

droid market place down for anyone else? also someone told me that their is a app that will ID music. I'm not sure if it is free or not. I'm looking for one that if I hear a song on the radio or some place that it will ID the song for me on the phone.

[quote name='sendme']droid market place down for anyone else? also someone told me that their is a app that will ID music. I'm not sure if it is free or not. I'm looking for one that if I hear a song on the radio or some place that it will ID the song for me on the phone.[/QUOTE]

Shazam

bread's done
Back