Any game ever make you cry or really sad?

The ending of Halo Reach was very touching...the whole story IMO. Not to the point where it made me cry, but I felt those sad moments.

Dragon Warrior VII: This one is a little strange there is a sub-story in this game that involves a robot whose master you help out in the past, then you go to the future
and that robot is still trying to care for his master, even though his master has been dead for a very long time
something about that just made me want to cry.
Me too. That really got me for some reason. I guess I can relate to the pathetic loneliness of that robot.

Lost Odyssey was pretty intense and made me cry a few times.

Heavy Rain had some moments too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think I've ever cried during a game, though I recall the whole FFVII Aeris thing being a pretty big "Holy fuck!" back in the day. The ending of Super Metroid is probably the saddest part of any game I've ever encountered, though.

EDIT: Starcraft 2 players - especially those who played the beta, with its many patches - damn well better tear up at this, though:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Also kinda sad:
queenw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Lucca's mom getting her feet mangled in that conveyor belt accident was pretty intense at the time. (Chrono Trigger)[/QUOTE]

Reading that actually gave me chills. Considering how many hours I poured into that game, I can't believe I forgot about that.

As for the answer I had before entering the thread: FFX's ending.

Several of the Final Fantasy games, I believe 7 & 10 were two of them, not sure on the numbers, I believe Chrono Trigger did it for me too. Come to think of it I have probably cried over more video games than movies...this is sad.

[quote name='Jabrim']Several of the Final Fantasy games, I believe 7 & 10 were two of them, not sure on the numbers, I believe Chrono Trigger did it for me too. Come to think of it I have probably cried over more video games than movies...this is sad.[/QUOTE]

10 to 40+ hours to identify with the world and characters of a game, 2-3 hours to identify with a movie.

Makes sense.

I think for me it would be the end of Uncharted 2
when you think Elaine is dead- then they start joking about how scared Nate was about losing here.

My wife was listening to a really sad book on tape while I was playing Uncharted 2, so i may have just been emotionally exhausted- but that part got to me a little.

Other than that--
having to pull the trigger on the Boss
in MGS3 was tough.

I just remembered the exact scene in Grandia 2 that almost did it to me.

When that beast guy (forgot his name!) dies! that sucked so hard.

I also have to mention the ending to Wild Arms 5. It's bit hard to explain but pretty much
one of the lead female characters has been living this endless loop for thousands of years just to be with the main character for a brief amount of time. She goes 500 hundred years back in time and restarts the cycle but erasing her memory each time. It's a tortured existence but she does it in hopes of breaking the cycle staying with the MC. Of course you don't find this out until the end. I thought it was very well done.

I don't know how to insert the spoiler tab, but for me it was the big plot twist at the end of Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not sure there were full on tears, but my eyes were full and my jaw was on the floor.

Final Fantasy 9 had the saddest cut scenes ever. They are with me forever. Aeris' death was sad for me too, and immediately popped in my mind, but FF9 was by far the saddest most emotionally gripping game I've ever played. So underrated, but damn near perfection.

[quote name='drone8888']Final Fantasy 9 had the saddest cut scenes ever. They are with me forever. Aeris' death was sad for me too, and immediately popped in my mind, but FF9 was by far the saddest most emotionally gripping game I've ever played. So underrated, but damn near perfection.[/QUOTE]

Was it the scene with Vivi fighting the Black Mage on the airship? That was a good scene.

[quote name='berzirk']I don't know how to insert the spoiler tab, but for me it was the big plot twist at the end of Knights of the Old Republic. I'm not sure there were full on tears, but my eyes were full and my jaw was on the floor.[/QUOTE]
Using square brackets: (spoiler)Aeris dies(/spoiler).

What big plot twist? The only one I remember was
you're Revan
, but that's not exactly tear-inducing, and came well before the end...

I always have a slight emotional response to the ending of Sonic 2. The ending theme is so beautiful. The storyboard scenes are awesome too-- you get the feeling that animals are genuinely worried, but Tails knows he has to try to save his buddy. And that he does, as the music swells, flies in just in the nick of time with the Tornado and saves Sonic from his freefall that surely would have killed him (unless you have all of the Emeralds)

FF7 is probably the only game I can remember for sure that made me actually cry , both when
aeris died
as well as a little during the final cinematics , but plenty of other games have made me sad.

Heavy Rain , just the game in general.
Halo 3 when
Sergent Johnson died
. Especially how it happened.
The ending of Legend of Zelda : Wind Waker.
Seeing the end of Hyrule and the epic death of Ganondorf was kinda intense.
Super Metroid , the Final battle and ending.
CoD : Modern Warfare , the end of Shock and Awe.
CoD : Modern Warfare 2 , loose ends.
Knowing that most of the 141 die during the mission is depressing , but not majorly so , but then after all that seeing Ghost and Roach die at the hands of Sheppard is brutal.
Klonoa , both when
his grandpa dies
and the ending.

That's all I can think of , both off the top of my head and what others have said that reminded me.

I'm not surprised to see so many people mention a certain character's death in FF7, but for me I didn't personally feel anything for that person. However, it did really affect me when you find out about Red XIII's father's story though.

There was only one game that made me sad, Heavy Rain. I won't ruin it for anyone, so I'll just say when the red balloon flies towards the sky.

Silent Hill 2 ending - when
the guy's former wife is talking about letting go and forgiving him in that letter, that was pretty brutal. It's almost better (and more fun) to choose the demon chick

In the first of the Johnny Maxwell books "Only You Can Save Mankind," Terry Pratchett opened with an advertisement for the game central to the story. In the small print at the bottom was the warning 'Screen shots are from version you did not buy.'

This applied perfectly to Rear Guard by Adventure International for the Atari 800. The company had a habit of doing the same game for computers of wildly different capabilities. Russ Wetmore's Sea Dragon was an excellent Scramble clone for the Atari 800 but far less worthy on all of the other machines. Rear Guard on the Apple ][ looked pretty cool but when I bought the Atari version I discovered it was written in interpreted BASIC! This was the sort of thing one typed in from a magazine, not paid good money for at retail. It wasn't even good compared to some magazine games I'd entered.

I was pissed. Fortunately, the store took it back. Lesson learned.

The ending to FFX After spending all that time with the characters, and
Tidus knows that if he saves spira, then his existence will end, and he still destroys sin to save the world
that gets me every time

[quote name='ihadFG']I'm not surprised to see so many people mention a certain character's death in FF7, but for me I didn't personally feel anything for that person. However, it did really affect me when you find out about Red XIII's father's story though.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm saying! FF7 was a great game and had so many more powerful moments compared to the
Aeris scene -- she was a bad character.

[quote name='epobirs']In the first of the Johnny Maxwell books "Only You Can Save Mankind," Terry Pratchett opened with an advertisement for the game central to the story. In the small print at the bottom was the warning 'Screen shots are from version you did not buy.'

This applied perfectly to Rear Guard by Adventure International for the Atari 800. The company had a habit of doing the same game for computers of wildly different capabilities. Russ Wetmore's Sea Dragon was an excellent Scramble clone for the Atari 800 but far less worthy on all of the other machines. Rear Guard on the Apple ][ looked pretty cool but when I bought the Atari version I discovered it was written in interpreted BASIC! This was the sort of thing one typed in from a magazine, not paid good money for at retail. It wasn't even good compared to some magazine games I'd entered.

I was pissed. Fortunately, the store took it back. Lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

weirdest post ever

FFX = Flawless Victory. It's the only video game that's come close but no cigar. I've yet to watch an ending so well written and properly paced that could honestly compete. I second feeling nothing for Aeris' death though as she lacked the necessary personality for me to care. Plus it was far too random of an act for me to take seriously at the time. I kept staring at the party screen in the menu afterward thoroughly pissed the time I had invested in her stale ass went up in a puff of smoke because of some overrated melodramatic momma's boy I couldn't stand. Thankfully Crisis Core did a bang up job of translating what his fan base saw in him back then which converted me from a hater to a minor fan.

Come to think of it the only FF7 party member's existence I did enjoy (besides Cloud's haircut) was Yuffie's up until that goofy bitch stole all my damn Materia forcing me to hike to her village to get it back. If given the choice death would have been her reward but alas the game had other plans. All Creation saved her from being benched for the rest of the game.

[quote name='Rodimus']I have mixed feelings for FFX2. I liked the battle system, but it was really REALLY girly. I was a little embarrassed playing it at times. The scene when Yuna is singing with the flashback was sad. What I hated the most was the mission structured gameplay. It came across lazy.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Fantastic battle system but my god was that game a waste of money. I knew what I was getting into but held hope the game play would help steer me clear of any terrible plot debris. How wrong I was indeed.

Dead Rising 2: when that mutha f_cker
Sullivan
shot
Rebecca in the forehead
cause I thought Chuck would get to bone her in the end. [no pun intended.]

Lost Odyssey Thousand years of dreams segments.

Everytime Hope spoke and wasn't murdered in FFXIII.

The second playthrough of Heavy Rain when I realized your actions don't mean dick until the last 5 minutes.

I cried on Final Fantasy X when Tidus and Yuna are laughing for five straight minutes....I wanted to kill myself

But on a serious note, the Thousand Years of Dreams things in Lost Odyssey made me quite sad

I would have to say some of the deaths in Valkyrie Profile made me shed some tears. Well, the whole game is very morbid and depressing to begin with since you are recruiting souls of the dead. It's really is brilliant how you get to watch the final moments of the characters lives and some of them encounter such miserable deaths.

I also cried at the end of Ikaruga as well as Radiant Silvergun, and during some of the flashback sequences of Xenogears :)

The original Mass Effect where you choose who lives between (assuming your playing as a straight male) your best mate on the ship and the lady your banging, or at least trying to bang.

Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium (MegaDrive), Where alys dies halfway through the game

The Original silent hill kinda got me a little when the nurse (before silent hill had big-titty fuck-monster nurses) died in your arms, or at your hands :S cant remember which

Pretty much most of the last half of silent hill 2 fucked me up emotionally :s

Yeah... found bits in lost odyssey a bit tearful, then got bored of endlessy level grinding, retarded game design choices, and a story i didnt care about & ejected the disc :) (near end of disc 2)

bread's done
Back