Any good internet browsers? Updated firefox doesn't work

wildcpac

Banned
I just updated Firefox and it has slowed down my comp big time. Video and audio is now sluggish and doesn't run smooth anymore. I did a speed test and I was about 15 download and 5 upload. Is there anything comparable to how firefox used to be?

Odd, I've had no issues with FF. One of my friends uses Chrome though and swears by it, so that may be worth a look.

Chrome
Opera
Firefox

I personally use Chrome with FF as my 2nd choice.

Opera is there incase something goes wrong with the 1st 2.

The latest version of FF which was from 2 weeks ago is having issues with audio and video. It's slow, jerky and freezes. I just did a google search and I wasn't the only one having problems with it. It's the firefox released on April 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Opera and IE8. I know that there is a lot of hate for IE8 (much of it justified). But I find it still has the best compatibility with streaming audio and video. But Opera is lighter and faster than IE8 for most browsing needs. Firefox has gotten slower and heavier each generation. So I replaced it with Opera. I haven't tried Chrome yet, so I have nothing to say on that browser.

I use FF on my main gaming pc (using it now, actually), and Chrome for my laptop. Chrome seems to be a bit zippier on the lappy, but that is entirely subjective since I loaded FF with so many add-ons on my computer that it isn't even funny anymore (do I really need a weather, time, and TV schedule app?) Also, Chrome seems to have a really nice minimalistic and small UI that's looks uber-pretty on my small-ish laptop screen, while I could spare the real estate on my PC (though I HATE multiple toolbars: see comment on add-ons above). Also, Chrome is one of those browsers that has a better implementation of HTML 5 (from what I've been told), so it may be worth a try.

In short, if you can't roll FF, then in my opinion Chrome will be the best bet. Nothing wrong with Opera, but they make better mobile browsers imho. IE8 are for MS employees, grandma's, child-eaters, cthulhu-worshipers, animal-sodomites, and banking executive.

[quote name='Number83']I'd recommend Windows Internet Explorer. It just works.[/QUOTE]

eVdSq.png

I usually use FireFox and it has been my browser of choice for a few years now. Although I have to say that it isn't as smooth as it used to be, and I run into various problems with it. I'm seriously considering on just fully transitioning over to Safari.

The only thing holding me back is the way bookmarks are displayed. I love it in FF.

Firefox with minimum addons, like noscript and forecast fox. That is speedy enough for heavy duty web browsing.
Chrome for videos.
But you do need enough ram for Chrome or Opera because each tab is its own process.

i use chrome. its slick and fast. very fast. i enjoy the minimalist UI quite a bit and it uses less resources. extensions are beginning to be released as well, so its just getting better.

Still a Firefox fanboy, solely for my heavy-duty internet browsing.

Chrome for my "quick-lookup, I-don't-want-to-wait-for-30-seconds-for-Firefox-to-startup" browser.

I use IE8 on my desktop and Chrome dev preview on my laptop.

I find that IE8 works very well on my desktop with a quad-core and 8 gigs of RAM. Chrome works well on my laptop with a dual-core and 3 gigs of RAM.

I switched to Chrome after realizing how much memory FF used sometimes even after closing tabs and uninstalling add-ons. Like other CAGs said, the UI is really simple. It's nice to have that extra few pixels of space saved from tabs too.
IE isn't so bad sometimes, especially if you don't have any extra toolbars on it.

It's been a while since I've used Opera so I wouldn't know how it is these days. I remember it being pretty decent though.

Since you're switching from FF, I'd try out Chrome first. You'd get to see what all the hub bub is about.

[quote name='wildcpac']The latest version of FF which was from 2 weeks ago is having issues with audio and video. It's slow, jerky and freezes. I just did a google search and I wasn't the only one having problems with it. It's the firefox released on April 1st.[/QUOTE]

Hmm..I wonder if this issue is still in FF. I've been noticing this as of late. Also, weird instances of not loading mp3 players from websites/video players.

Right now, I use FF as my main with the occasional Chrome for my back up. I'd use Chrome outright, since I love its speed and how quickly it loads, however I have to have extensions and things like Adblock/Noscript in particular. Until Chrome has anything remotely close to the extensions for FF, I just can't transition over.

[quote name='Number83']I'd recommend Windows Internet Explorer. It just works.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. People love to bash it, but this is especially true since IE 8. I guess IE is the ford of the web browser, not particularly snazzy, but gets the job done and gets you there.

bread's done
Back