Any HD-DVD Customers Afraid... [post in HD DVD thread above]

Status
Not open for further replies.

moviewizguy

CAGiversary!
That your HD DVD player will be broken and you can't play your HD DVDs anymore? I'm scared that will happen, but at least there are some titles that have the dual layer disc. With that in mind, does anybody know what happens if the DVD player is broken? Do we get a new one?

That had me worried somewhat. But I bought a 2 year warranty (which is renewable) from Best Buy and the guy there said if it breaks they will just give me store credit, awesome.

Except for Planet Earth (which I may not keep) I haven't invested (nor will I unless it is a combo disc) in any HD-DVDs. When I got my player I got 4 free in the store and 5 will be coming in the mail so I will not have lost any money on the thing. One of the frees was Hot Fuzz which is a combo so that will always be with me :cool:

Got the thing with a %20 off coupon (brought the HD-A30 down to $160) got 9 free movies, will be getting a $50 gift card, and a warranty that will get my full credit back, and I needed an upconverting DVD player anyways so I am quite pleased. :bouncy:

[quote name='moviewizguy']That your HD DVD player will be broken and you can't play your HD DVDs anymore? I'm scared that will happen, but at least there are some titles that have the dual layer disc. With that in mind, does anybody know what happens if the DVD player is broken? Do we get a new one?[/quote]

that's whey many of us bought a second or third player as a backup player in case one breaks.

If you're really not interested in picking up a back up player at this point, then you'll probably have the option of grabbing one off ebay (prices will probably drop off once software dries up) or getting a combo player if they're still in production.

Last I heard all HD DVD players will explode in 4 months.

eBay. I can buy a brand new Laserdisc player right now if I wanted to.

I doubt finding replacement players will be any problem. In a few months you'll probably find them for $50 all day on ebay. My undeducated opinion is that the players will plummet in price but some of the movies may retain some value, at least until a superior Blu Ray version is released.

If nothing else, in 3 or 4 years time you will probably see Xbox 360s used at Gamestop for $50, and nobody can give away the HD DVD drives that go with them.

Yeah, I'm not too worried. If I could find a Kmart with the 360 add-on for $37, I might consider getting a back up. A really cheap standalone would be nice, too, if I can eventually find one for very, very cheap. In the meantime, I will wing it with the one 360 add-on, and if it breaks, I will go find something on eBay.

If it breaks it break. Although it kinda sucks buying the AO for the 360 back in October and then finding out a few weeks ago that we loose the format war, the good news is that the dvd's in my collection were free (with the promo) and I didn't buy anymore discs because I decided to hold out of a few more months. What happens to all that extra downloaded content like in Transformers hd-dvd? Takes a lot of space and takes forever to download. I assume that studios are going to stop supporting these features as well?

Not at all, besides the fact i've never had a dvd player break on me this also isn't my first electronic item, hell you can still get laserdisc players off ebay.

not worried here either....my A-30 is working fine (knock on wood), also bought the 360 add-on as a spare, so I should be covered for life

hell, my laserdisc player is fine....and, even older, my beta max is fine as welll

I'm not that worried either. Toshiba has stated that they will continue to have parts and repair the HD-DVD players for another 8 years.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']There were plenty made that plenty of people don't want, so it shouldn't be hard to get a cheap used one.[/quote]

Agree... I wouldn't loose any sleep over this... or even buy a second player.

I'd like to see CAG collections of laserdisc and betamax.

My friends and I were at Goodwill last year, and found the first 2 Indiana Jones movies on beta. I would of bought them but there was no player in sight.

Like others have said, I have no problems with my laserdisc player..and I too can buy a new and sealed one if I wanted to, at a reasonable cost.

By the time most of these drives break Blu-Ray burner prices will be reasonable and it will be easy enough to just rip the HD-DVD's to your PC and then burn them as Blu-Ray. It's already possible if you have the 360 HD-DVD addon, an easy to find free piece of software, a PC, and a Blu-Ray burner.

[quote name='moviewizguy']That your HD DVD player will be broken and you can't play your HD DVDs anymore? I'm scared that will happen, but at least there are some titles that have the dual layer disc. With that in mind, does anybody know what happens if the DVD player is broken? Do we get a new one?[/quote]

I was worried about that and it pretty much did happen to me as my 360 died (add on was fine but useless without a working 360). But I had $90 in costco store credit & I used that to get an HD-D3 just before Feb 28 so I was able to take advantage of the rebate (crossing fingers) plus Costco's return policy. And I was also able to get a machine to upscale DVDs that uses my harmony remote, leaving my ps3 to serve as just blu-ray playback.

Of all the HDDVDs I own (17 discs, 16 titles), I would probably rebuy only 8 of them on bluray. I've already rebought 1 of them and almost took advantage of the blu-ray coupon at best buy to rebuy a 2nd one. I'm waiting for Serenity, a revamped 300 with the extras (which probably won't happen) Matrix, Batman Begins, and a few other films. Once that happens, I'll ditch my HD-DVDs and I'll have to decide when I'll get rid of the d3. As long as I can rent movies that are on hd-dvd & not blu-ray, I'll still hold onto it. Once blockbuster ditches all of the HD-DVDs, that'll be 1 less reason to keep it.

I'm not too worried. I got an A30 Toshiba & from everything I've heard, they make quality products. I've picked up 17 HD DVDs since getting it just after the Warner announcement when they cut the price in half, mainly for an upscaling DVD player, & I have no fears of getting stuck with worthless HD DVDs & a broken player.

Well i am picking up a HD/BR player for my computer with my new upgrade. Seeing that I can't play a damn HD-DVD movie right now due to the fact that my 360 is out for repairs because of the RRoD, it's nice to have an alternative player just in case.

i say who cares about the format wars. i cant deny a 5 dollar deal on ebay for 300 in hd dvd. So i think if you find a deal then go after it, but NEVER pay full price for a HD DVD again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back