Any new developments - ps2/ps3 controller converters?

galvatron2k1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
179 (100%)
Does anybody know what's going on with the controller converters for the ps3 to use the ps2 controllers, arcade sticks, guitars, etc. on the system?

I'm mostly interested in the arcade stick and guitar compatibility...

I know the Nyko one that was going to come out no longer is going to support these functions, but I remember that pelican was supposed to come out with a fully functional converter.

Does anybody already have the pelican converter and does it work?

Sorry, I couldn't find much information while searching the web, although I did see a reviewed converter on www.sdtekken.com that was said to work with all ps2 accessories. Sadly, there was no links posted to find where to purchase the item. Any ideas Markman (I believe you are the closest CAG to that site on this forum)?

Markman has a website where he reviews a few adapters.

One works really well, yes with guitars and arcade sticks.
I forgot his website, but you can find him in ANY fighting game thread.

EDIT:

HAHA, didn't even realize you wrote all this in your OP already.
Should have read it all before posting.

Hi there. The Pelican converter is set to be released in May now.

A Pelican employee/friend of mine confirmed that it does in fact work with the Guitar Hero Controller and arcade sticks for PS2 games as well as work for PS3 games.

And yes, SDTEKKEN.COM is my site and I have an annoyingly large collection of converters... X_X

Can't tell you about the Guitar Hero games, but a 12 dollar Radio Shack usb>ps2 converter works fine with my PS2 pads, hori joysticks, and custom joysticks with dual shock pcb's.

I have the radio shack usb adapter and it sucks. Only a few buttons work on the system interface. None of the buttons work when in a game. I am hoping a firmware update will fix it eventually to run my dance pads on my DDR games.

[quote name='Static X']Works fine for every PS2 game I play. Doesn't give me a problem on Tekken: DR either and works with all my joysticks.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me?

Are you serious? I bought a Radio Shack converter in Nov. of last year and it DID NOT work with PS2 games nor did it work with Tekken 5: DR when I got the JPN version in late December.

I tested it with a bunch of Hori sticks and I know for sure the old Radio Shack brand USB/PS adapters did not work for digital only signals(suck as the T5 Hori stick)...

It however does work with dual shock/dual shock 2 and other analog support controllers...

Thanks for the info on the converters guys! I will definately be waiting the next week or 2 for the pelican one unless they push it back again!!!

Thanks again Markman too for the inside info.:applause:

When I purchased my ps2/usb adapter for my ps3 at radio shack there were two SKU's in the system when an employee performed a search.

Updated to firmware 1.7 and I was pleasantly surprised that the radio shack usb adapter now works perfectly with a dual shock 2 controller. It even has rumble as promised. Now Sony needs to provide DVD and PS2 and PS1 game upscaling and all will be forgiven in my book.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Wireless > rumble. :D

I already have two SIXAXIS, but I want to buy this to use my dance pad.[/QUOTE]

I don't care about the rumble. I'm just saying the Sixaxis sucks compared to the Dualshock2. Extremely awkward R2 and L2 buttons + the controller is way too light. I feel like I could crush it at any time.

I don't really care about rumble or how light it is. Besides, the lighter it is the further I can throw it when a game pisses me off :p

And after using the Sixaxis for so long, the DS2 L2/R2 buttons feel awkward to me.

Has anybody tried the Radio Shack converter with a guitar hero controller, arcade stick, or beatmania?:pray:

Here's to hoping they work because that's my main concern. If the radio shack converter still does not work with those, I will wait for the pelican controller.

Guitar Hero Guitar Hero Guitar Hero, god I am so tired of Guitar Hero.

DDR pads and Dual Shock 2 finally works with the PS3 and the PS2 adapter. 1.7 fixes it all..

Guitar Hero still has problems [only read that, wouldn't touch the game with a fifty foot pole until it good classic rock, prog rock and some fun pop music]

Beatmania doesn't work very well at all [tested that myself]

[quote name='sarausagi']Guitar Hero Guitar Hero Guitar Hero, god I am so tired of Guitar Hero.

DDR pads and Dual Shock 2 finally works with the PS3 and the PS2 adapter. 1.7 fixes it all..

Guitar Hero still has problems [only read that, wouldn't touch the game with a fifty foot pole until it good classic rock, prog rock and some fun pop music]

Beatmania doesn't work very well at all [tested that myself][/quote]

Wow, easy on the guitar hero! It's a great game! But besides, I just want a converter (like everybody else) that works with ALL the ps2 accessories - guitars included. Sucks to hear about Beatmania though.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Wow, easy on the guitar hero! It's a great game! But besides, I just want a converter (like everybody else) that works with ALL the ps2 accessories - guitars included. Sucks to hear about Beatmania though.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to try fishing rods, seriously.

But yeah, beatmania didn't work, thank God DDR works again.

And it's not about the game itself, because otherwise I wouldn't want one with different songs in it

Most of it is that from what it seems, Nyko didn't go through with the play adapter because it didn't work well with guitar hero, even if it worked well with every other type of accessory, they acted like the only viable market for it was guitar hero, when DDR has been around a lot longer and in my opinion is a lot more important, because there's 8 official DDR games in the US, as well as games that use the dance pad [happy feet, jungle book, flow, britney's dance beat, pump it up, dance factory] it just makes me mad when a company just acts like the product doesn't even matter because it doesn't work with Two GAMES.

Okay, here's my story:

Due to firmware upgrade 1.7 on PS3, I was hearing on various forums that PlayStation to USB adapters were working on PS3. That had me all excited because I wanted to use my dance pads, Taiko Drum, Guitar, and many other accessories. So I rushed onto the bus to Radio Shack today to buy one. The price was reasonable, only $11.99. I was hearing others buy the same adapter on forums and it working.

USB_PS2.jpg

First off, I tried the adapter on DDR. To let everyone know, this test is being performed on a Red Octance Ignition 3.0 pad. The dance pad did not work in the PS3 XMB, so I was initially worried it didn’t work. Once I booted up DDR SuperNOVA, the pad registered. I tried out the pad and initially thought it was working fine. However, after around 30 seconds into the song, I found myself missing tons of steps. I didn’t think it had to do with not playing DDR for a while with a pad, so I’m thinking the timing may be off or something. When trying the adapter with a regular Dual Shock 2 controller on DDR SuperNOVA, I had zero problems with timing. I’ll try again, but right now, I’m going to say its not fully functional.

Second off, I tried my guitar controller on Guitar Hero. I was expecting the adapter to be crappy and nothing was going to work. For the most part, I was proven wrong. I tested the controller on the song “I love Rock and Roll”. All the buttons mapped perfectly and the timing of the guitar was dead on. There is only one flaw though. The whammy bar or whatever its called does not work with the adapter. I heard there’s some special Guitar Hero signal, which may be the problem. There was talk about Red Octane and Sony working on a solution. In all honesty, I don’t use the whammy bar, so Guitar Hero is now playable to me, but not 100%. Still, I’m mostly happy with the results.

Lastly, I tested the regular dual shock 2 controller. It works perfectly fine on the XMB, but it needs to be turned on to be used. I decided to try the controller on Gran Turismo 4, since a good friend of mine really wanted to know if it worked with rumble. I tested GT4 on my PS3, using the adapter and the results were perfect. The controller was rumbling good and the buttons/analog stick were responsive. I need to try a few PS2 games which are better suited for the controller. The only problem is that since the controller lacks a PS button, you cannot exit a game. You can exit a game by turning on a SIXAXIS, then exiting though that controller. One thing I did test and saw was if I have Dual Shock 2 controllers plugged a USB port, the SIXAXIS will assign to ports not being used. The controller also works for PS3 games. So, those who want to save money and not buy several SIXAXIS controllers can buy a few $11.99 adapters at Radio Shack.

I don’t have my Taiko Drum, Pump It Up Pad, etc. with me to test right now. When I go home next weekend, I’ll do the tests and post my results. I also need to try out my Logitech wireless controller, but I don’t really care about it, since I greatly prefer the SIXAXIS.

The radio shack ones have input lag, as do most converters out there that work for PS2...

IMO the best one out there is that no name brand made in Hong Kong...

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Okay, here's my story:

Radio Shack adapter and info[/QUOTE]

It has to be something other than input lag for DDR

Just for being curious, I bought the Radioshack adapter today [I already had another off brand adapter] and it is weird

In DDR, the menus work perfectly, the song select screen works perfectly

If I tap on the left arrow constantly, it registers them, if I jump on a set of arrows, it registers them

but if I try to actually dance a song, it misses most every step, someone here said timing lag, but if it had timing lag, why wouldn't it do the same on menus or steps not in rhythm?

[quote name='sarausagi']It has to be something other than input lag for DDR

Just for being curious, I bought the Radioshack adapter today [I already had another off brand adapter] and it is weird

In DDR, the menus work perfectly, the song select screen works perfectly

If I tap on the left arrow constantly, it registers them, if I jump on a set of arrows, it registers them

but if I try to actually dance a song, it misses most every step, someone here said timing lag, but if it had timing lag, why wouldn't it do the same on menus or steps not in rhythm?[/QUOTE]That seems to be my exact same problem too. Initially I started go, but then it went downhill quickly. When trying a regular PS2 controller (to see if it was my adapter), no problems.

I'm really curious about my PIU pad now.

Well, it may not seem like it lags when you're on the menu or selecting songs, but when you're doing something that requires input timing thats when you'll notice it.

Honestly most of the lag is a few frames, but even humans can't see 2-3 frames difference, but if you know the game you can feel it... IE music games/fighting games...

I picked one up to give it a shot with peripherals. It's not the best, but it's good to have on hand just in case.

Okay, yeah.

Radioshack adapter on 1.7 PS3

Guitar Hero: No whammy bar. Playable.
DDR: OH MY GOD THE LAG OH MY GOD HOW CAN YOU NOT NOTICE THAT

I'll return it tomorrow.

[quote name='MarkMan']The radio shack ones have input lag, as do most converters out there that work for PS2...

IMO the best one out there is that no name brand made in Hong Kong...[/quote]

Where did you get your no name brand converter from Markman?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I don’t have my Taiko Drum, Pump It Up Pad, etc. with me to test right now. When I go home next weekend, I’ll do the tests and post my results.[/quote]

I totally forgot about Taiko and Pump it Up. Did anyone also check Beatmania since the upgrade or any arcade sticks? I was going to try and buy one this weekend but if people are already experiencing problems (DDR), I'll probably pass.

I went and got the Radioshack one mainly to play Timesplitters coop with a friend. It worked for the most part, but the d-pad worked backwards and in menu's it acted like the analog stick was being pointed in one direction constantly.

I tried the cointroller on my PS2 and it works fine. Looks like I'm returning the adapter/

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Where did you get your no name brand converter from Markman?

I totally forgot about Taiko and Pump it Up. Did anyone also check Beatmania since the upgrade or any arcade sticks? I was going to try and buy one this weekend but if people are already experiencing problems (DDR), I'll probably pass.[/QUOTE]

I have a drum and 2 IIDX Pads and 2 BM Pro Pads, but there's no need to try them out. I could also try the GunCon1 for laughs, too.

I got it from a friend in Saudi Arabia who saw it at a store... :/

The ASiD ones have been tested but aren't friendly with a few games... for more information on converters that work with digital conversion check www.sdtekken.com/tech-area/converters ... all of those will work with arcade sticks for Tekken DR at least.

Pretty cool that it acctually works now though.

Maybe games down the line will give you a choice of using the Dual Shock or Six Axis. That'd be funny.

I couldn't get the DDR pads to work with PS1 DDR games or PS2 DDR games. I do not have the Konami brand, I have the Naki brand. Other than that I was able to get the Street Fighter Arcade stick, the Street Fighter controller, PS1 Dual shock, PS1 Sony digital controller, PS2 dual shock, and the madcatz retro-con controller all to work to some degree. Not every game works with every controller and some want the analog button to be on (lit red) and some want it to be off. You can mix and match controllers (six axis and dual shock) for multiplayer play but you cannot use the Sony PS2 multitap (at least the version 1 multitap anyway). Most controller seem to work ok with the exception of the dance pads and I do not have a guitar controller to test because I hate guitar hero. There I said it. And I am not ashamed.

didn't see that there was this second page.

So anyone word on a working ddr pad converter ..or is that lag issue universial?

Got this in the mail today...

ASID TECH PS2 TO PS3 ADAPTER

PART NUMBER ASD-031

MADE IN CHINA

ASD, STRATFORD, ONTARIO CANADA

Check this out guys [and girls if there is one besides me here]

0 PERCENT LAG ON DDR, 0 PERCENT, here are some actual results off DDR Extreme 2, dance play on, timing 0, difficulty 4 [arcade]

Irrestiblement: Trick - Full Combo, A*
Oops I Did It Again: Heavy - Full Combo, AA
Cartoon Heroes: Trick - Full Combo, A*
Miracle Moon: Trick - A [no full combo]
Love is Orange: Trick - Full Combo A*
LOOK AT US NOW: Trick - Full Combo A*

Mind you, I have NEVER gone full combo on LOOK AT US NOW [the timing is HORRIBLE] and Cartoon Heroes Trick is pretty exhausting for me

I did all these songs in a ROW, with a Konami soft mat modded on plywood and the ASID tech PS2/PS3 adapter, my previous off brand [by a chinese company, you can get it on ebay] topped out at B's, it was usable enough but no where near perfect at all and I couldn't control the XMB and it was slower than on the PS2, and the Radio Shack one doesn't work AT ALL as I previously reported

but this one I listed above, works PERFECTLY, absolutely perfectly

I played some Street Fighter Alpha Anthology with my Dual Shock and it worked perfectly

I used a wireless Gamestop controller as well, and even that worked absolutely perfectly

So the only thing I need to try now is an arcade stick [should be picking up the Tekken 5 one this week] and a Guitar Hero [but that I don't think I'll ever pick up, maybe I can find a friend or coworker to borrow it from]

I'm going to try Beatmania tomorrow, after a long night of DDRing

but yes, people, put it on the front page, make it the official title of this post, the ASID tech adapter with firmware 1.7 WORKS PERFECTLY, it even controls the XMB perfectly [just boot up with the DDR pad, press the PS button on the side of the adapter, and get ready for THE MAGIC]

[quote name='sarausagi']Got this in the mail today...

ASID TECH PS2 TO PS3 ADAPTER

PART NUMBER ASD-031

MADE IN CHINA

ASD, STRATFORD, ONTARIO CANADA

Check this out guys [and girls if there is one besides me here]

0 PERCENT LAG ON DDR, 0 PERCENT, here are some actual results off DDR Extreme 2, dance play on, timing 0, difficulty 4 [arcade]

Irrestiblement: Trick - Full Combo, A*
Oops I Did It Again: Heavy - Full Combo, AA
Cartoon Heroes: Trick - Full Combo, A*
Miracle Moon: Trick - A [no full combo]
Love is Orange: Trick - Full Combo A*
LOOK AT US NOW: Trick - Full Combo A*

[/quote]

This is certainly good news. Now that the Pelican adapter is out, has anybody tested it yet? I haven't seen them locally but they should be here soon!

bread's done
Back