Any of y'all A+ certified? Need some help, getting rdy to test

orphicblue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I've been cramming my ass off with books for a couple of months and now I feel like I'm ready, but I'm kind of nervous because I've taken a few practice tests around the web and I'm either acing them or they contain some really strangely worded questions that have thrown me off and I've failed. Do any of you know of any resources I could check out to accurately gauge my knowledge against what is on the test? I've taken so many different practice tests now that I have no idea what to expect from the REAL exam.

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Jack_Daniels_%C3%BCveg.jpg

[quote name='orphicblue']fuck yeah, better than any other study guide. Cheaper too ;-)[/quote]

Definitely. Have a quarter for the true/false answers too. :D

I'd help you out just finished up Oracle Cert myself, but it's been about 7 years since I took the A+ and they've reworked the tests since then. If it's anything like when I took it though I was freaking out the night before knew I was doomed and then actual test time was in and out in 20 minutes it was so easy.

If you've been studying for a couple of months and can build your own pc and do basic troubleshooting you will smoke it.

Thanks Lex, I appreciate the support.

Incidentally, not to go OT, but do you (or anyone else) know what kind of career I can build based on tech certs with no degree? I have no idea if I'm even going to be valid in the job market, would love to hear from someone on the inside...

No degree here either, never finished up my computer engineering degree. Never had any problems finding a job myself but I've been out of the work force for a year to spend time with my wife and our first child (sold my .com same day our daughter was born).

What kind of area you looking at going into? A+ will certainly get you hired for phone based support like Dell, Gateway etc. I did that about 6 years ago.

All I have is a high school diploma, and I'm a "Subcontractor" and "Electrical Tecnician" at an electronics firm. :D

fuck, I didn't even have my diploma when I was hired.

Just starting out I was hoping for helpdesk. Eventually I guess network admin type direction, though Im not 100%. Planning on getting more certs after I get the foot in the door.

Any advice is welcome. I'm bad at career planning, unfortunately.

I just took the A+ Exam two weeks ago and I failed it. The passing score was 515 and I got a 474. The problem that I had was that the majority of the practice exams I took all consisted of 45-50 questions. When I got the exam there were 80 questions which kinda threw me off a bit.

I'm now working on getting my MCDST certifcation since what I'm hoping to do is get a desktop support/helpdesk type of job. I'm taking this test next Friday and if I pass then I might give the A+ another try. The more certifications you have the better chances you have of getting a job.

I'm sure you've heard of it but this site has tech job postings it might give you an idea of what kind of requirements are employers expecting for the type of job you would like to get:

http://www.dice.com/

With an A+ you should be able to get helpdesk for most places pretty easy. Don't know what part of the country you are in but if you live anywhere around Tulsa, or Oklahoma City I know a few places I could get you on at for sure.

bread's done
Back