Any of you have fish?

haloman21

CAGiversary!
I wanted to get something to make my room a little more interesting. See i want some fish so I wan't to get a tank one preferably that could fit on a desk 4ft 7in long and 2ft 5 1/2in wide. But take into consideration my 22inch monitor in the center of the desk and the lamp to the right of my monitor. Or if there is a fish tank with a stand that could be put on the floor and stand next to a window then please inform me. So I wan't some cheap but good looking fish i mean really fish so cheap that you buy them per the pound, and their so small you get like 20 for half a pound. Then I need to know what stuff to stick in the tank. Can some of you guys take pics of some sweet fish tank setups and possibly tell me how much the setup costed you.

If you want to go as cheap ass as possible get goldfish. Those can survive without a filter I believe.

[quote name='wubb']If you want to go as cheap ass as possible get goldfish. Those can survive without a filter I believe.[/quote]

I wish that were true...:cry:. What is true is the Goldfish are cheap and hearty fish. However they are crap factories...frequent water changes will be necessary, if you just want a fish bowl.

Just make sure you don't just buy a tank and drop the fish in...I learned this the hard way. It took me at least a month to get the tank right to support life for more than a week. Remember it's a small eco-system, so plan ahead. Read up.

All in all, I spent over $300 so far for the tank, filters, gravel, heater, 10 Gal Octagon tank with stand, Pirates, light and fish, including a $20 fish my wife thought was pretty...That died in 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
A have a few friends who have beta fish which are insanely easy to take care of. Small bowl, and feed it every day. Easy enough.

I had a 10 gallon tank in my room a while back filled with zebra and tetra fish. Unfortunately, due to it's difficulty in maintaining I stopped after a few years. Fish are highly susceptible to even the smallest changes, and with a tank that small its difficult to keep it at a stable point where the fish don't go into shock and die. Generally, the bigger the tank is the easier it is to maintain the ecosystem since changes will be more gradual and slow.

I assume I will get another tank again someday, but it will be much larger. With a 10 gallon tank I had to change/add water one to two times a week due to evaporation so it was slightly frustrating to keep that much clean and sterile water on hand.

Well, if you are going the goldfish route, go with a 10 gallon tank. We bought one of the tiny 3 gallon pirate tanks for my nephews (they are 5 & 3, so it was their first pet), and we went back to buy new fish about 8 times before we gave in and bought the 10 gallon, only one fish casulty so far there, and the 2 we have now seem like survivors.

As for other fish, can't help you. But, getting a tank isn't that hard, if you are willing to drop the money. Not sure where you can get cheap fish supplies though. I bought my tank from Walmart and it was still more than I wanted to spend.

Ok, first thing all beginning aquarists have to learn is what we call the nitrogen cycle. So go out and invest in a good test kit at your local petstore (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH tests).

As basic as possible, uneaten food and fish poop break down in the water. When this crap breaks down they turn into ammonia - obviously very poisonous to fish. Fortunately, there's bacteria present in all water that can break down this ammonia into nitrites. Nitrites are also poisonous to fish but not so much as ammonia. Again, fortunately there's naturally present bacteria that breaks nitrites down into Nitrates. Nitrates may be dangerous to fish but only in HIGH amounts... you remove these nitrates simply by doing water changes.

Now, yes the bacteria is naturally present in the water but not in the amount ready to support a community of fish. In a process called cycling, you slowly introduce a couple fish at a time so that the bacteria in your tank have a chance to grow and multiply. This is the point of fish keeping when most people experience the greatest amount of fish lost. Cycling is considered done when ammonia and nitrites = 0. Alternatively, many people use a process called fishless cycling - where pure ammonia is bought from the hardware store and added directly to the tank (WITHOUT FISH OF COURSE) until the cycling process is done. This process has the advantage of fewer fish deaths and being able to add all the fish at once when cycling is done. (Google fishless cycling for more information)

As for accessories you'll need 4 basic things: filter, heater, gravel, and plants/hiding plces. When it comes to fishkeeping you'll soon realize you get what you pay for. Word of advice: do not go cheap with the heater - last thing you want is a malfunctioned heater that overheats and kills your fish. (coldwater fish do not need a heater - ie: goldfish)

Now for the fish. You're probly gonna start small - I'm guessing 5 - 10 gallons. A good rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. Of course this is relative to the size of the tank - you can't put a 10" fish in a ten gallon tank. For a 10 gallon tank I'd say not to get a fish that exceeds 3". Do some research on beginning freshwater fish an you'll come up with some good suggestions. Having said that, I highly suggest you STAY AWAY from goldfish. They are extremely dirty, eat constantly, pooping machines. Many aquarists suggest a minimum of 20 gallons per goldfish.

When you get your fish home you must realize that the water parameters from the pet store may be different than yours. Simply dumping your fish in the tank may shock them and eventually kill them. To make the transition as easy as possible you must acclimate the fish to your water conditions. The traditional way of doing this is to float the bag in the tank for 10 minutes. Then add a little water from your tank into the fish's bag every 5 minutes. Alternatively (my preferred method) you can use the slow drip method - place the fish in a small container (make sure it has enough room for at least twice the amount of water the fish came in). Next you want to take some air hose line and tie a knot in the middle (not too tight - enough to allow water to still pass through the tube). Then you'll want to create a siphon from the tank into the fish's container using the airline tubing - I use a small chicken baster to create the siphon. Now tighten the knot until the water flow slows down to a drip. This process takes up to an hour or longer depending on the size of the container. When the container's full you can dump the fish into the tank - I prefer to net the fish out so that I don't mix in the pet store water with my tank water.

I've been keeping fish since I was 12 and LOVE watching fish (you can probably tell). There's a lot to know about keeping fish that I didn't go over... your best bet at being succesfull is to simply do some research. Good Luck!

If you want just a small thing to sit on your desk, I would get a beta fish, aka Siamese Fighting fish, I believe. They live alone and are very beautiful. They cost about $1 at any pet stores. You could do something a la Andy Warhol and get nine fish, different colors, each in its own tank. :)

Do all of that madness... or get a ton of feeder fish... I had 10... they all died but one. I kept that one and hes still alive and its nearing 2.5 years... No filter, clean the water every 3 months... easy... and he has a fan base..

-First he lived in a vase
-Fish bowl
-Giant 10 gallon tank by himself with the coliseum

He grew with each tanks and is now quite large from the miniature fleck of a fish he was.

pickles.jpg

Mr pickles ftw.

[quote name='Lice']Do all of that madness... or get a ton of feeder fish... I had 10... they all died but one. I kept that one and hes still alive and its nearing 2.5 years... No filter, clean the water every 3 months... easy... and he has a fan base..

-First he lived in a vase
-Fish bowl
-Giant 10 gallon tank by himself with the coliseum

He grew with each tanks and is now quite large from the miniature fleck of a fish he was.

pickles.jpg

Mr pickles ftw.[/quote]
thats a nice fish, Im thinking of getting a small tank like 5-10 gallons hopefully that won't be too heavy for my desk. Also If i get a betta fish and some other type of fish is the betta gona go and kill them?

10 gallons is a pain in the ass to move. Even with half the water in it some how the water splashes and arcs out and I always get some splashing onto my face, rotten fish water. i would say your best off with 5, and the Beta fish can only live by themselves or they will kill.

[quote name='Lice']10 gallons is a pain in the ass to move. Even with half the water in it some how the water splashes and arcs out and I always get some splashing onto my face, rotten fish water. i would say your best off with 5, and the Beta fish can only live by themselves or they will kill.[/quote]
How heavy is a 10 gallon tank? cause if its too heavy I think I will go with a 5 gallon tank. But all of the ones I see are hexagons and not just squares.

I have owned aquariums for about 10 years in one form or another.
My last one was a 25 Gallon that I had stocked with a couple of Dwarf Gouramis,
a few Corydora Catfish, and a nice sized Plecostomus that I had for about 6 years.
When they started to die off I just never replaced them. Now I am down to just to of the cory cats

believe it of not, the larger tanks are easier to maintain that the smaller ones.
for someone just starting out, a 10 gallon is nice though.
I recommend a under-gravel filter because if its ease of use, and low maintenance
Fish wise, good starter fish are Mollys, Swordtails, Cory Cats, Danos, or any of the Tetra family.
There are good hardy fish they dont require constant care

As for Betas, it depends on the fish. My uncle had a Beta that got along fine in his community tank.
But I also know someone who had his betas fins get eaten off my the other tank residents.

a 10 gal tank is not heavy, when empty.
But dont try to move it when its full of water ;)

I think I remember 1 gallon of water weighing roughly 8 pounds.

Betta fish can absolutely live with other fish, I have one in a community tank right now. Their aggression is pretty much only towards other bettas and a few others of small size like guppies, and dwarfed gouramis. Betta's are pretty slow moving so often times they can be out competed for food, or may have their fins nipped by more aggressive fish. They are super easy to care for alone, but may not the the best choice in a beginners community tank.

Remember to not overstock your tank.. it's really easy to do in a 5-10 gallon tank.

If you manage to make a fishtank that fits the window frame perfectly and you put it in there, I will love you forever.

*Nic suddenly realizes how great of an idea it is and starts counting the days before moving*

/goldfishes.

[quote name='haloman21']Can some of you guys take pics of some sweet fish tank setups and possibly tell me how much the setup costed you.[/quote]

Well here's a couple of my tanks (i have a bunch of other smaller ones I keep for raising baby fish and breeding).

29 Gallon Community Tank
IMG_0477.jpg

29 Gallon Community Tank
ebay316.jpg

20 Gallon Long Bamboo Forest Tank
ebay320.jpg
Yest that's real bamboo in there. I know the water looks dirty but that yellow tint is actually tannins released into the water by the bamboo. It's completely safe and some fish actually like it.

10 Gallon Community tank I just setup - I plan on taking it back with me to college
ebay318.jpg

And here's my girlfriend's 10 gallon tank
IMG_2725.jpg

Each 20+ gallon tank easily cost $100 - $300 to setup. The 10 gallons cost roughly $100. (prices include cost of tank + accessories)

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Well here's a couple of my tanks (i have a bunch of other smaller ones I keep for raising baby fish and breeding).

29 Gallon Community Tank
IMG_0477.jpg

29 Gallon Community Tank
ebay316.jpg

ebay320.jpg
Yest that's real bamboo in there. I know the water looks dirty but that yellow tint is actually tannins released into the water by the bamboo. It's completely safe and some fish actually like it.

10 Gallon Community tank I just setup - I plan on taking it back with me to college
ebay318.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

Each 20+ gallon tank easily cost $100 - $300 to setup. The 10 gallons cost roughly $100. (prices include cost of tank + accessories)[/quote]
I havent bin able to find a 10 gallon one for 100$ do you have a link to one?

[quote name='haloman21']I havent bin able to find a 10 gallon one for 100$ do you have a link to one?[/quote]

Walmart sells 10 gallon tanks for 10$ + tax. Petco and PetSmart sell them for roughly $12

Aqua Clear HOB power filter ~ $27.99 + tax (21.39 on sale at petco till 8/21)
http://www.petco.com/product/4051/AquaClear-Aquarium-Power-Filters.aspx

Submersible aquarium heater ~ 24.99 + tax (19.99 on sale at petco till 8/21)
http://www.petco.com/product/102227/PETCO-Submersible-Aquarium-Heaters.aspx

Lighting ~ 31.99
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754541

Gravel ~ one large bag at 14$ should be enough for a 10 gallon tank

So basically you're looking at $98 - $110 for the bare essentials. You may run into packages that have everything I listed that cost less but I've heard some bad things about the products that come bundled with these packages. Never tried them myself so I can only tell you what I've heard. Also, I've seen filters and heaters (The Tetra brand kind) at walmart that are pretty cheap so you might want to compare prices there.

I didn't add these but you're also gonna probably want to buy:

fish net
gravel vacuum
de-chlorinator
bucket

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Well here's a couple of my tanks (i have a bunch of other smaller ones I keep for raising baby fish and breeding).

29 Gallon Community Tank
IMG_0477.jpg

29 Gallon Community Tank
ebay316.jpg

ebay320.jpg

ebay318.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

Each 20+ gallon tank easily cost $100 - $300 to setup. The 10 gallons cost roughly $100. (prices include cost of tank + accessories)[/QUOTE]

the 20 Gallon Long Bamboo Forest Tank looks awsome

Question:

When setting up an aquarium, are rocks from the pet store the only option? Would it be fine if I got some rocks from a river bed to use, or would that be a bad idea?

If anyone living in NorCal wants my fish & fish tank, it's yours for the taking. It is a 12 gallon Eclipse tank and it is occupied by 8 various tetra fish. PM me if you want to arrange a pickup.

[quote name='mikej012']Question:

When setting up an aquarium, are rocks from the pet store the only option? Would it be fine if I got some rocks from a river bed to use, or would that be a bad idea?[/QUOTE]

You might be able to save some money by buying gravel at a Walmart Super Center, those typically tend to sell fish. I think they sell 5 lb bags for $5 each, or something like that.

[quote name='mikej012']Question:

When setting up an aquarium, are rocks from the pet store the only option? Would it be fine if I got some rocks from a river bed to use, or would that be a bad idea?[/quote]

If you're talking about decorative rocks (not gravel), then using rocks you find at a riverbed are fine as long as you give them a good scrubbing and boil them for about half an hour. I've done it myself with no problems.

Note: some rocks may change the pH of your water - add a drop of vinegar to test for this. If the vinegar fizzes then the rock WILL change your tank water's pH.

[quote name='xeno']the 20 Gallon Long Bamboo Forest Tank looks awsome[/quote]

Thanks, I'm a big fan of asian themed tanks. Unfortunately, the bamboo doesn't last too long and has to be replaced yearly. :cry:

bread's done
Back