Any one else notice their system getting warm due to WC24?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I'm not sure if this is normal, but my Wii's underside in the horizontal position (as in, it's under side if normally have it sitting horizontally) gets pretty warm if I leave WiiConnect 24 on.

I have it sitting vertically, it's just easier to explain what side I'm talking about horizontally.

I didn't play Wii for a couple of weeks, but had it on WiiConnect 24 (which is weird seeing how I don't have wireless internet). I took out Wii Sports and the disc was pretty warm. The top was warm too. I think I might just cut off the WiiConnect feature, for the obvious reasons.

It does get warm, but the amount of heat it puts off after a day of no fan running is about as warm as it should ever get - I've had it off for a week or two and it doesn't build up anymore heat than that.

Then as soon as you turn it on and the fan runs, it cools off within minutes.

Leave WiiConnect24 on, and standby off.
That way it connects only when you have it turned on instead of all night and day. Mine was getting warm too.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Leave WiiConnect24 on, and standby off.
That way it connects only when you have it turned on instead of all night and day. Mine was getting warm too.[/QUOTE]

Really?

For some reason, if I do that and try to go to the Forecast or News Channel it tells me to turn on WiiConnect24 (even though it's on). But I don't get that message if I turn on Standby mode...:whistle2:k

Oh well, no big loss. I decided to turn it off... it's really not that big a deal I guess. If needed, I'll get a USB powered fan to cool it (USBs are powered during standby mode).

Here is proof that WiiConnect24 heats your system to unreasonably high levels when left running for a long period of time in the horizontal position. I leaned my Wii agains the CD book to have it catch the reflection of the window. You'll see why in a sec.

This is the top of my Wii, reflecting the window very evenly:
wiifront.jpg

And this is the bottom, skewing the reflection with its melted ass. Notice the rubber feet I put on the bottom to lift it off the ground (I put a piece of cardboard between it and the ground because carpet prohibits the system from cooling effectively):

wiiback.jpg

Wait, you mean it got all melty when it was sitting on the carpet?

No electronic device should sit on the carpet. You might as well wrap it in a blanket and let it rest under the hood of your running car.

[quote name='daroga']Wait, you mean it got all melty when it was sitting on the carpet?

No electronic device should sit on the carpet. You might as well wrap it in a blanket and let it rest under the hood of your running car.[/quote]
No. That is explicitly what I tried NOT to say.

In this specific line from my above post, I reference my knowledge of carpet and its hinderance of electronic ventilation:

"Notice the rubber feet I put on the bottom to lift it off the ground (I put a piece of cardboard between it and the ground because carpet prohibits the system from cooling effectively)"

Even with a piece of cardboard, that carpet underneath is going to warm up and act as a nice insulator.

That being said, I think you have a defective unit. Mine never gets anywhere near hot enough to feel more than moderately warm to the touch, let alone hot enough to melt things. Call Nintendo.

[quote name='daroga']That being said, I think you have a defective unit. Mine never gets anywhere near hot enough to feel more than moderately warm to the touch, let alone hot enough to melt things. Call Nintendo.[/quote]

Same here. I've had my Wii off for upwards of two weeks, on standy with WiiConnect24 the whole time, and it gets warm. That's it. Not even close to hot.

[quote name='Vinny']Really?

For some reason, if I do that and try to go to the Forecast or News Channel it tells me to turn on WiiConnect24 (even though it's on). But I don't get that message if I turn on Standby mode...:whistle2:k

Oh well, no big loss. I decided to turn it off... it's really not that big a deal I guess. If needed, I'll get a USB powered fan to cool it (USBs are powered during standby mode).[/quote]

Yeah that's the only downside.
If I want to see the weather or news I have to turn it back on.

I usually don't use either of those much.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not sure if this is normal, but my Wii's underside in the horizontal position (as in, it's under side if normally have it sitting horizontally) gets pretty warm if I leave WiiConnect 24 on.

I have it sitting vertically, it's just easier to explain what side I'm talking about horizontally.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed the same thing within a day of buying the Wii a few months back. I just turned Standby off and have to 'connect' to get my news and weather.

[quote name='blackjaw']Yeah I noticed the same thing within a day of buying the Wii a few months back. I just turned Standby off and have to 'connect' to get my news and weather.[/quote]

Me too, it's no big loss.

same problem here. i switched off the wc24 while in stand by function. news chanel and weather forecast dont work here eather in that mode, but who cares? those channels are pretty useless. wc24 is useless as well. did it ever upgrade itself while in stand by? mine always wanted to upgrade the second i switched it on. besides that the system heating up is a sign for wasting energy. unless they add realy cool features to wc24 i will leave it that way.

It does get warm. Probably harmless but I turned mine off since it's a useless feature currently (don't care about getting messages)--even moreso since I hardly turn on my Wii these days (or any of my consoles really--too damn busy with other stuff).

I like to use the WII's internet features but I found an annoyance, I can't use the internet unless i leave standby enabled. in order for it to work, I have to turn my system on and then restart it, or enable standby to work, anyone else notice this?

Mine gets pretty warm as well. Today I made the decision to just keep standby connection off because the heat from this thing makes me kind of nervous.

[quote name='daroga']Wait, you mean it got all melty when it was sitting on the carpet?

No electronic device should sit on the carpet. You might as well wrap it in a blanket and let it rest under the hood of your running car.[/quote]\

My PS2 sits on my carpet and it's been up and running fine since 2002...

I've had mine on since the day I got it back on release date. I play it fairly often too - no problems. It sits standing up on my wooden shelf by my tv. It too is warm to the touch. I'd figure it was meant to be left on. I also leave my CD in the drive. I can't remember if Nintendo said that was a good idea, but I haven't had any issues.

[quote name='Rozz']\

My PS2 sits on my carpet and it's been up and running fine since 2002...[/quote]Congrats. I can't imagine what it looks like inside, filled with dust and carpet fibers and other nasty stuff.

The effects aren't always immediate, but no doubt you've significantly shortneed the life span of the unit by sitting it on the carpet.

[quote name='Metal Boss']I like to use the WII's internet features but I found an annoyance, I can't use the internet unless i leave standby enabled. in order for it to work, I have to turn my system on and then restart it, or enable standby to work, anyone else notice this?[/quote]

No, i don't think you have to restart the Wii... if the WC24 is not enabled, you can't go on-line, period. So, if you want to surf the net or the weather channel, you gotta enable the WC24. However, you don't need to restart the Wii, if you're forced to, then i don't know what to say, b/c i don't have to...

I put the WC24 on so i don't have to enable it every times i want to go on-line (weather channel). Yes, it does generate heat in standby mode. I don't like it for a number of reasons, 1. waste electricity/energy 2. make my game disc warm 3. Glows light, which can be scary at night.

What do i do? Every times i shut off the Wii, i go up to the Wii and press and hold the power button for three seconds so that the Wii is turned off (red light). Too bad that you can't do this with the Wiimote, sucks! I know i know, get your lazy ass over and press and hold the button. This is really stupid though, b/c i turned the TV off using the remote (i guess it's a habbit thing).

Of course, if i leave the house in hurry or someone else playing the Wii, chances are the Wii will be in standby mode and it will be warm when i return, sucks...

The thing is my Wii gets cooler when I play it. The heat level is pretty consistent. I try to turn it on in the mornings then turn it off (red light), but I try to leave it in standby during the night.

Nintendo should have like a fan kick-on switch or something if it's even possible. The truth of the matter is, all the Wii has is that vent at the back and at the bottom. My Wii got really hot on me once (I didn't play it for like a week), and I started turning it off. Since then, no major heat issues.

[quote name='Rozz']\

My PS2 sits on my carpet and it's been up and running fine since 2002...[/QUOTE]
Same, I have one of the dreaded launch versions from 2000 and it still runs fine. I think I might try wrapping it in a blanket now though..

[quote name='Metal Boss']I like to use the WII's internet features but I found an annoyance, I can't use the internet unless i leave standby enabled. in order for it to work, I have to turn my system on and then restart it, or enable standby to work, anyone else notice this?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you need an update.

The only things I can't access with standby off are the news and weather, and I don't use those features anyway. I can surf the net and visit the store with standby off.

Remember folks, you can leave wii24 on and turn standby off. It's standby mode that is frying the Wii's not Wiiconnect24.

bread's done
Back