Any one know any big news about the stock market?

Greetard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My marketing class is now using that stock market game thingy on Investopedia.com as a class project. I was just wondering if anybody knows any news about any industry or companies that could work to my benefit. We need 20 companies each, and so far I have:
  • Electronic Arts- 200 shares (E3 is coming up and they just got more college exclusives)
  • IBM- 50 shares (They partenered up with National Geographic and they came up with a computer program that will trace you ancestry after you send them cells that you scrape off from inside of your mouth)
  • NCR- 100 shares (One of their branches is improving India's largest warehouse databank)
  • Starbucks- 200 shares (They just bought Ethos Water Company, and the new handhelds might increase business because of their WI-FI)
  • Circuit City- 50 shares (High school graduation is just around the corner, and graduates will be looking for computers...says one of their surveys)

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :)

Try looking at biotech. A lot of baby boomers are hitting the retirement years so you know they're looking for ways to prolong life. Pharmaceuticals are another option. Also, look at Wi-Fi companies based in Philadelphia, their stock price should start to drop soon since the city is starting a city-wide fee-based Wi-fi setup. And it's the best time to buy those companies which should recover if they adapt their business models quickly.

I'd stay away from IBM right now. DrudgeReport has them as a top story for their disappointing earning helping to drive the market down today to a new 2005 low.

Reuters News Link

Also, I would reconsider Circuit City. There maybe alot of grads coming soon, but they are going to be facing those student loan bills soon. Even if they are in the spending mood, they probably won't be going to CC, unless they read about the game sales on CAG. Starbucks and EA seem good to me. However, I only follow the markets. I don't invest, so my info could be off.

Another thing: Look at long term investment strategies. Don't do what a lot of ppl do - buy along w/ everyone else. That's a herd mentality. Usually when everyone is buying is when you should be selling and vice versa. And when I mean long term, I'm talkin' 10-15 years. Look at Warren Buffett (who I've modeled my portfolio after) and, like Wolverine, he's the best at what he does.

[quote name='pistonfan']I'd stay away from IBM right now. DrudgeReport has them as a top story for their disappointing earning helping to drive the market down today to a new 2005 low.

Reuters News Link

Also, I would reconsider Circuit City. There maybe alot of grads coming soon, but they are going to be facing those student loan bills soon. Even if they are in the spending mood, they probably won't be going to CC, unless they read about the game sales on CAG. Starbucks and EA seem good to me. However, I only follow the markets. I don't invest, so my info could be off.[/QUOTE]

CC was also recently sold and so the upswing in the stock price is also going to start cooling off.

Best Buy would be a better choice.

and check motleyfool.com as it would be pretty useful. It says you got to register, but they would have a ton of good info

Maybe give one of the satellite radio companies a try. Either X-M or Sirius. Sirius has Howard Stern coming soon and X-M has MLB and just signed a deal with AOL to provide satellite radio via the internet.

EA is dead money until mid 3rd quarter. Recently reported a horrible quarter and prospects for the next 6 months don't look too hot. There are no near-term catalysts to push the shares higher in a signifcant way, let alone fill the tremendous gap between $66 and $56 that was created on 3/22 after the earnings miss. E3 may get EA and other game developers are very short term bounce of a few % points but it won't be anything major and it won't be enough to reverse the confirmed downtrend that the entire sector is in.

IBM reported a HORRIBLE quarter after the bell. It will trade down to at least $80 tomorrow. If the support at $80 holds, the stock may be good for a small bounce but it is going to take A LOT to get the stock moving solidly higher. Like EA, IBM looks like dead money until Q3/Q4, when techs are seasonaly strong.

Circuit City is garbage. The consumer is slowing spending, margins are getting pressured and Best Buy is taking share every quarter. Retail is not the place to be at this point in the economic cycle and CC is probably the worst pick out of the electronics retailers.

Starbucks I like at these levels. It got hit hard a few days back because of weaker than expected same store sales numbers. I like the international growth opportunities in front of the company.

The way the economy is headed, you want to be in more defensive plays right now. PFE and LLY both look good at current levels. Pepsi and Altria are also good plays. Oil bounced hard off $50 so energy stocks, which have been hammered over the past few weeks, look good again. CVX, VLO, UPL, XOM and XTO will all follow oil higher if the bounce back from $50 holds and continues higher.

If you want to play in tech, which is seasonaly weak during this time of the year, Intel is cheap at current levels based on historical valuations but still has downside risk to the $20 area. MSFT should report good earnings this quarter and might be a buy ahead of earnings depending on how much the IBM miss takes it down tomorrow. MSFT has downside risk of about $2. In both cases, the shares aren't likely to move significantly higher until overall action in the economy improves, the Nasdaq actually finds some solid support and investors are willing to look at tech again. My bet is that this won't happen until mid to late Q3.

[quote name='jaykrue']Another thing: Look at long term investment strategies. Don't do what a lot of ppl do - buy along w/ everyone else. That's a herd mentality. Usually when everyone is buying is when you should be selling and vice versa. And when I mean long term, I'm talkin' 10-15 years. Look at Warren Buffett (who I've modeled my portfolio after) and, like Wolverine, he's the best at what he does.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you are trying to do. Set up a retirement fund? Then yes, but you can also make a lot of money by selling short.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Depends on what you are trying to do. Set up a retirement fund? Then yes, but you can also make a lot of money by selling short.[/QUOTE]

True but the whole selling short/buying on margin is too stressful to me. I check my stuff every 3 or so months and decide to move on it every 6 months (if at all). Selling short requires too much day-to-day scrutiny that I'm not willing to give. Sure to be a powerbroker type guy would be nice but I've seen the pressure it takes and I don't have it.

[quote name='jaykrue']Another thing: Look at long term investment strategies. Don't do what a lot of ppl do - buy along w/ everyone else. That's a herd mentality. Usually when everyone is buying is when you should be selling and vice versa. And when I mean long term, I'm talkin' 10-15 years. Look at Warren Buffett (who I've modeled my portfolio after) and, like Wolverine, he's the best at what he does.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about looking for long term strategies. They may be good for real life examples. I.e. low risk, high return, but that's over a long period of time. My guess is that his class is only for 10-15 weeks. I think he should take some risks for going with the crowd (be sure to sell before the crowd does though ;) ) The market has been really on the downside lately, so now is probably a good time to buy. :)

Depending on what the goals/ restrictions are take a chance on some penny stocks. It's risky but you could make a ton if they do go up (since I'm assuming your not actually putting any money in).

Raymond James Financial (RJF)

Very well performing financial stock over the past 5 - 10 years. You aren't going to hit any homeruns with it, but it is a growing, very well run company.

jeug

Take a look at Marvel (MVL). They seem to be a very stable company, and I think their business plan is incredibly strong with their shift from producing new characters to just licensing their old IPs. It's been sliding slightly down the past few days, but I think that just make's it a cheaper buy. I bought it in my stock market game, and have made a decent profit by now.

[quote name='DV8']I dunno about looking for long term strategies. They may be good for real life examples. I.e. low risk, high return, but that's over a long period of time. My guess is that his class is only for 10-15 weeks. I think he should take some risks for going with the crowd (be sure to sell before the crowd does though ;) ) The market has been really on the downside lately, so now is probably a good time to buy. :)[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's true I forgot this was for a class. Ah, well. Since it's pretend they might as well play hardball and bet the farm. The worst that could happen is they get a bad grade. :bouncy:

Jaykrue- Thanks for the suggestion, but DV8 is correct. I'm hoping for miracles.

Pistonfan, Casey, and Billybob- I guess your right. I didn't buy a lot of stocks for either because I wasn't expecting much. I'm probably going to just sell them (I'm keeping EA though).

Greendc- I have no idea what a penny stock is.

Casey (again)- Thanks for Motleyfool.com. I've mainly used Fortune and Forbes for my info, but this seems more stock related.

Jeugder, Stargun, crowbb, and Jaykrue (again)- Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll get started on buying!

Rodeojones- You hit the nail on the head. I plan on selling short for the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming! :)

Seriously though, although this will help you understand the world of stocks by aggressive investing, consider investing for long term or use both techniques at the same time. For instance, say 80% aggressive stocks, 10% long term, and 10% other miscellaneous or adjust accordingly depending on how aggressive or passive you want to invest. It's especially good if you're in high school since the short term buys can be off set by the long term ones if carefully planned. Man, whodathunk there'd be ppl giving stock advice on a video game bargain site. It's almost as funny as discussing japanese art history in a hentai thread :bouncy:

Oh, and here's a strangely logical way of making your first million

[quote name='fanskad']Hire dart throwing monkeys. They consistently outperform financial experts.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Our teacher was telling us about that. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']Seriously though, although this will help you understand the world of stocks by aggressive investing, consider investing for long term or use both techniques at the same time. For instance, say 80% aggressive stocks, 10% long term, and 10% other miscellaneous or adjust accordingly depending on how aggressive or passive you want to invest. It's especially good if you're in high school since the short term buys can be off set by the long term ones if carefully planned. Man, whodathunk there'd be ppl giving stock advice on a video game bargain site. It's almost as funny as discussing japanese art history in a hentai thread :bouncy:

Oh, and here's a strangely logical way of making your first million[/QUOTE]

:drool: Wow.... time to start saving!

[quote name='Greetard']Jaykrue- Thanks for the suggestion, but DV8 is correct. I'm hoping for miracles.

Pistonfan, Casey, and Billybob- I guess your right. I didn't buy a lot of stocks for either because I wasn't expecting much. I'm probably going to just sell them (I'm keeping EA though).

Greendc- I have no idea what a penny stock is.

Casey (again)- Thanks for Motleyfool.com. I've mainly used Fortune and Forbes for my info, but this seems more stock related.

Jeugder, Stargun, crowbb, and Jaykrue (again)- Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll get started on buying!

Rodeojones- You hit the nail on the head. I plan on selling short for the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming! :)[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, I really don't think short selling is going to help you right now. Not unless you shorted the last few days. I think this coming week stocks are going to rebound. If you do short, I'd only short about 20%. Prices are really good right now to buy. Just an opinion though.

Does your teacher let you do day trading? or just swing trading and buy/hold?

[quote name='Greetard']day trading[/QUOTE]

As much as a hassle as it would be to actually day trade, you probably wouldn't have to do any research and just follow the crowd or buy major the ones that cover the major indexes QQQQ and SPY come to mind. How much money do you get to play around with?

bread's done
Back