Any PC troubleshooters out there? need your help...

SteveMcQ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So my main problem is I can't get a display to my monitor either at POST or in Windows. I'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro connected via DVI-D to a BenQ FP241W. I need further help isolating the problem. Everything is stock as I don't play PC games.

Right now, I'm seeing if it's a conflict with another device. I sent in the monitor to BenQ (they said it's fine). I bought a new cable, still nothing. If I plug it into another DVI-capable monitor, it displays fine. So it's either the card itself or a driver/software issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Yeah, got it all removed. Never mind that part. Anyone have suggestions on why I'm not getting a signal from my video card to my monitor?

There doesn't seem to be any IRQ problems. I really can't figure it out.

You first need to figure out if it is the card or not...

first, do you have onboard video? do you have a place to plug your monitore into which IS NOT a stand alone video card? if you do you need to make sure the onboard video is disabled

second, try out a different card....if a different card works then it is obviousl;y the card causing the problem

third, make sure ALL your video drivers are up to date

No onboard video. Unfortunately, I can't check a different card as all my friends either have really shitty rigs (i.e. onboard--not that mine is good, either). I didn't change anything prior to the no signal problem. Turned off the computer one night, next morning, no signal.

What's odd is that when I hook up a different monitor using DVI as well, it works just fine. It's something with the display settings or synching with the BenQ that's the problem. I'm pretty certain it's the specific connection between the monitor itself and the video card. How they "talk" and such, but I can't figure it out. The default Windows drivers should work with the monitor and I've tried the newest ATi drivers and everything else under the sun.

I just wanna get this thing working again. I'm junking this in a year or so for a Mac. Lousy PCs (since I don't game anyway).

I don't think anything in Windows at all would have anything to do with it if you can't even get video when the computer first boots up, scrap the drivers thing.

Try resetting your BIOS to defaults?

Kind of silly too, and I don't know if your monitor has the switch, but make sure that the input is set to your DVI port.

1) if it works on another monitor, I would say it's a 95% chance it's the monitor

2) which are you turning on first, the pc or the monitor. Some monitors won't pick up the signal from the pc unless the pc is turned on first

[quote name='n25philly']1) if it works on another monitor, I would say it's a 95% chance it's the monitor

2) which are you turning on first, the pc or the monitor. Some monitors won't pick up the signal from the pc unless the pc is turned on first[/quote]1) Unless it's some weird mix between my setup and software/driver settings, it can't be. I RMAed the monitor back to BenQ to have them check it over and they said it's fine.

2) I've tried both ways: monitor first, monitor second.

Damn PCs. Anyone deal with local computer shops? I just wanna take the video card there and have them try it in their rigs. Not sure if they do that kind of thing, though.

[quote name='guyver2077']Did you try your lcd on a different pc or with a game console?

Since you dont game you can get a new card pretty cheap[/quote]Actually I use it in my room with my PS3 and 360. I wish I had a different component to plug into the monitor's DVI to check myself, but I don't. I'm using the HDMI for PS3 and VGA for the 360. I'm going on BenQ's word that it, in fact, is not the monitor.

I'm tempted to just go a new card route, but I wanna ensure it's not a problem with my current card. Since you bring it up, though, what's a comparable card I can get to this Radeon 9800 Pro? I looked the same thing up and was shocked to still see it over $150 and mostly $200 at most places. It's such an old card.

I really do appreciate all your input. Takes away the frustration reading possible fixes or problems I haven't thought of thus far. I just hate not knowing what's wrong with it. Thanks.

Your best bet is to get a known working monitor and test the video out. Then get a known working computer and test the monitor. Most folks don't have this stuff lying around, but you probably have a friend that can help.

My other suggestion is this - try this first:

I know this is going to sound "duh" but make sure you have the proper channel selected on the monitor. By channel, I mean digital vs analog or whatever other separate input types are available. You'd be surprised how many folks I get with "monitor not working" problems and all that happened was they accidentally hit the channel switch on the monitor and were in analog mode while trying to display from DVI (digital).

~Mark

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Damn PCs. Anyone deal with local computer shops? I just wanna take the video card there and have them try it in their rigs. Not sure if they do that kind of thing, though.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been to a computer shop in years, but from my experience if you go in there knowing what you're talking about, so that it's something really quick they can do, you probably won't be charged anything.

[quote name='red flare graf']I haven't been to a computer shop in years, but from my experience if you go in there knowing what you're talking about, so that it's something really quick they can do, you probably won't be charged anything.[/quote]I hope that's the case...now to hunt down a little computer shop in the area.

Yup, I'm on the right input. The non-working monitor is a BenQ FP241W using DVI (digital only). The working monitor is a Hercules Prophet DVI (analog/digital). I had wondered whether perhaps it's some synching issue with the widescreen BenQ.

Now I'm wondering whether the card itself is having a problem sending signals over a DVI cable that's digital only. The Hercules working monitor has a built-in DVI (analog/digital) cable, so it's probably that. If only ATi could send out support staff to your homes.

Thanks ever so much for the input guys.

I had to ask this since it's not directly addressed: If you plug your computer (with Radeon 9800 Pro) into the BenQ FP241W with the regular VGA (analog) cable, does it display POST and Windows?

When you said "The non-working monitor is a BenQ FP241W using DVI (digital only)" did you mean only the DVI part is not working as you suspected? Meaning does HDMI (thru your PS3), component, VGA (thru XBox 360 perhaps) are all working?

I know you lightly answered this question already, but I want to confirm: If you plug your 9800 Pro to the Hercules Prophetview LCD with DVI cable ONLY (no VGA adapter), it gets a signal and displays POST and Windows right?

Answering these questions will narrow down all possible problems. :)

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I had to ask this since it's not directly addressed: If you plug your computer (with Radeon 9800 Pro) into the BenQ FP241W with the regular VGA (analog) cable, does it display POST and Windows?

When you said "The non-working monitor is a BenQ FP241W using DVI (digital only)" did you mean only the DVI part is not working as you suspected? Meaning does HDMI (thru your PS3), component, VGA (thru XBox 360 perhaps) are all working?

I know you lightly answered this question already, but I want to confirm: If you plug your 9800 Pro to the Hercules Prophetview LCD with DVI cable ONLY (no VGA adapter), it gets a signal and displays POST and Windows right?

Answering these questions will narrow down all possible problems. :)[/quote]It's only the DVI that doesn't have a display. I currently have a PS3 on the HDMI, a 360 on the VGA, and a Wii on the component inputs and they're all working fine.

I'll try connecting a VGA from the Radeon to the VGA on the BenQ to further ensure it's not the video card. I should note that when I hook up the Hercules Prophet through DVI, it shows a display through POST and Windows. All is fine. However, I should also note that the DVI cable is built into that unit. So there's a small probability that it's the cable, but I'm suspecting more and more it's the display even though BenQ said it was fine.

I realized my Powerbook had a DVI-out connection. So I connected that using the same cables I've been trying to connect using my desktop and display. Again, no display. But I need to find another DVI-capable monitor to really pinpoint it. On another note, I used the Hercules (built-in DVI cable) and displayed fine.

Also, I disconnected all the cables on the BenQ for further troubleshooting. I'd plug in the DVI cable into it and either the desktop or the laptop. No signal of course, but if I'd unplug the cable either on the monitor or computer end, it'd read it and say "No Cable Connected". So I'm led to believe it's the monitor itself. I'd be pissed off if that was the case since I just sent this in using my own money to BenQ.

I'll take the cables I'm using to a computer shop for them to check in the meantime. Then I'll do the video card and bring in the monitor and cables along for them to try on their own rig as last resort.

Come on SOSTrooper...help a fellow TSX owner out. Hehe. Thanks.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Yup, I bought a new cable from Monoprice.[/QUOTE]

Did you plug the DVI cable you bought from Monoprice to the BenQ and the 9800 Pro? Or has the cable not arrive yet?

The cable will pretty much tell you whether your DVI input on your BenQ is bad or not, since you already said your Powerbook also produce no display on the BenQ using the same cable. It's either the cable, or the DVI input on BenQ.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Did you plug the DVI cable you bought from Monoprice to the BenQ and the 9800 Pro? Or has the cable not arrive yet?

The cable will pretty much tell you whether your DVI input on your BenQ is bad or not, since you already said your Powerbook also produce no display on the BenQ using the same cable. It's either the cable, or the DVI input on BenQ.[/quote]Yeah, sorry I've been unclear and thanks for helping me figure it out. Anyway, I have received the DVI cable and it doesn't display either on the BenQ.

I tried what you suggested and hooked up the Radeon to the VGA on the BenQ using a DVI>VGA adapter and then a VGA cable run to go in between (the adapter was only a few inches long, not an actual cable itself) and I got a display there, though it wouldn't display properly. At 1920x1200, the native resolution of the screen, it stretched it horizontally and it would scroll left and right to view the whole desktop. Very weird. I'm not sure though if that's only because the VGA input does not support that resolution, only the DVI input.

If it is indeed, the monitor itself, I don't know what to tell BenQ since they already said it was fine. I told them everything last time and I have to pay out of my pocket to send it to them. I don't wanna have them send it back only to say the same thing. Grrrr. They're closed on weekends anyway, so I'll have to get the cables checked to ensure it's not them and then the video card as well. I wish they had technicians locally to do these kinds of things. What a pain in the ass.

So I'm assuming the 9800 Pro does not have VGA output if you had to use a DVI>VGA adapter?

One last thing you can try if you haven't yet: use the new DVI cable and plug it to your Powerbook and the BenQ. Make sure all settings on the Powerbook are correct to display output onto the DVI port. You can even confirm the Powerbook is producing an output signal via DVI port using your Hercules LCD. If only the BenQ produces no display, it's time to talk to their tech again. It kinda sucks to have this odd behaviors happening on an LCD.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']So I'm assuming the 9800 Pro does not have VGA output if you had to use a DVI>VGA adapter?

One last thing you can try if you haven't yet: use the new DVI cable and plug it to your Powerbook and the BenQ. Make sure all settings on the Powerbook are correct to display output onto the DVI port. You can even confirm the Powerbook is producing an output signal via DVI port using your Hercules LCD. If only the BenQ produces no display, it's time to talk to their tech again. It kinda sucks to have this odd behaviors happening on an LCD.[/quote]It does have a VGA and I just tried Radeon>BenQ with VGA. No Signal Detected.

I also tried Powerbook>BenQ with DVI. No Signal Detected.

Tried Powerbook>Hercules with DVI. Works.

Now I'm not sure if I've made this clear, but the Hercules has the built-in DVI cable which is a single link DVI-I (analog and digital--has the four pins above the flat pin).

The BenQ does not accept DVI-I cables only DVI-D (no pins above the flat pin). So I have both a single link and dual link DVI-D. Not sure if maybe the card is having a problem with just DVI-D's since I can't test DVI-I's on the BenQ. Tech support really needs to be open on weekends as well.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']It does have a VGA and I just tried Radeon>BenQ with VGA. No Signal Detected.[/QUOTE]

So this is something new: 9800 Pro can't output signal through VGA either? A new set of jigsaw puzzle appears.

Try using the Hercules LCD and hook it up to your computer. Boot to Windows, change display settings to something like 800x600 or 1024x768 (or something similar for widescreen). Then disconnect the Hercules LCD while still in Windows, and hook up your BenQ to the DVI port, see if that works. Then hook up via VGA afterward, also while still in Windows. I can't tell you what sense the results of these trials will make, but they may tell us something relevant.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Not sure if maybe the card is having a problem with just DVI-D's since I can't test DVI-I's on the BenQ.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any sort of HDTV in your home? Some HDTV will have VGA and even DVI inputs on the back. If you have one available then I would suggest trying to hook up your computer to the HDTV via VGA and then DVI to see if each will work.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']So this is something new: 9800 Pro can't output signal through VGA either? A new set of jigsaw puzzle appears.

Try using the Hercules LCD and hook it up to your computer. Boot to Windows, change display settings to something like 800x600 or 1024x768 (or something similar for widescreen). Then disconnect the Hercules LCD while still in Windows, and hook up your BenQ to the DVI port, see if that works. Then hook up via VGA afterward, also while still in Windows. I can't tell you what sense the results of these trials will make, but they may tell us something relevant.[/quote]Ok...ran the following settings, switching while Windows was loaded:

800x600 @60Hz
Radeon to Hercules via DVI-I (Good)
Radeon to BenQ via VGA (No Display)*
Radeon to BenQ via DVI-D (No Display)*

1024x768 @60Hz
Radeon to Hercules via DVI-I (Good)
Radeon to BenQ via VGA (No Display)*
Radeon to BenQ via DVI-D (No Display)*

*Each time either the VGA or DVI-D connected to the BenQ was disconnected from the Radeon, the display would read "No Cable Connected". So it seems the the cable is telling the BenQ at least that it's connected to a video card.

Do you have any sort of HDTV in your home? Some HDTV will have VGA and even DVI inputs on the back. If you have one available then I would suggest trying to hook up your computer to the HDTV via VGA and then DVI to see if each will work.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the back of the HDTVs the way they're situated. I'm gonna get a hold of a regular VGA monitor tomorrow and I'll try both a regular VGA and a DVI>VGA adapter to it to further check the video card.

Update:

I've got a picture to the BenQ from the Radeon using the following setup:

DVI>VGA adapter and then a VGA cable going from that adapter to the monitor itself. There's a problem with it, though. When I set it to the native resolution of 1920x1200, it's stretched horizontally where i can't see 1/8 of the screen on each side. If I scroll the mouse to either edge I can't see, though, it'll scroll the whole window.

Hmm I'll step back real fast and make a suggestion: download the latest catalyst drivers and update your current one, whether or not you already have the latest one or not. You can use your Hercules LCD and guide yourself to uninstall the current drivers (by right clicking on My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager > Display adapters > Radeon 9800 > Driver > Uninstall), reboot the computer, and install the newest catalyst drivers.

I know this is a year old and I apologize for the thread revival, but I'm having the exact same issue with my FP241W. Steve, did you ever get yours to work again with the DVI connection?

Sent you a PM also but haven't heard from you.

Thanks for any info.

bread's done
Back