Any place have a list of rare Dvds ?

KingDox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Now that Gamestop and a few other B&M stores take used dvds I was wondering if it's now easier to find rare dvds. I'm sure as the new format comes out in the next few years people will dump their old dvds for the new format. Maybe us CAGs can ebay some good finds from our local pawn shops and blockbusters. Of course now I just need to know what to be on the look out for. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what dvds are rare ?

[quote name='KingDox']Now that Gamestop and a few other B&M stores take used dvds I was wondering if it's now easier to find rare dvds. I'm sure as the new format comes out in the next few years people will dump their old dvds for the new format. Maybe us CAGs can ebay some good finds from our local pawn shops and blockbusters. Of course now I just need to know what to be on the look out for. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what dvds are rare ?[/QUOTE]

Salo, The Killer, 400 Blows, This Is Spinal Tap-Criterion are from 125-400 A lot of other Criterion are pretty rare-Robocop, Silence of the Lambs, Sid & Nancy, Hard Boiled, etc.-but are $75 or less. Arabian Nights is pretty fucking rare too. I've seen it at 125+. Preordered mine. :) I SERIOUSLY doubt many of those will be traded in for store credit. Most people who have them, know what they have. And a new format doen't really do much for truely rare items. I've seen Salo Laser Discs go for over $300 open.

Isn't the Toy Story Toy Box Collection supposed to be rare? I know that it was once going for a lot on Ebay and is pretty tough to find, but now with the recent release of the first, I'm not so sure it has kept any of its value, which is my guess as to why you made a thread on rare DVDs or just that you want to watch some of these tought to find films:) Either way, the only DVDs that I know to be truly rare/hard to find are the Criterions and I have never seen one used at a Pawn shop or a used store, but who knows, maybe on the off chance that some guy just trades them in you or I will get lucky:D

I think the fist of the north star anime movie is pretty rare. Don't take my word on it though.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] Either way, the only DVDs that I know to be truly rare/hard to find are the Criterions and I have never seen one used at a Pawn shop or a used store, but who knows, maybe on the off chance that some guy just trades them in you or I will get lucky:D[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised, I've gotten all but 1 of my criterion's used (I have 7 of them). I even scored the out of print Notorious for 6.99.

I saw Spinal Tap Criterion yesterday at EB!!! It wasn't in the best of shapes, but it was only $10. My 1 Criterion I have was bought pre-owned in an EB. It was The Royal Tenebaums. Haven't watched it yet. Hoping it's still there, going to pick up spinal tap now.

The only Criterion discs that are rare are ones that are out of print. The thing about Criterion discs is that most of the REALLY valuable ones have been bootlegged (like Salo and The Killer) and look almost 100% identical to the real deal, so the prices have been dropping on them over the past couple years. Off the top of my head I know the following CC discs are OOP:

Salo (prob the most valuable dvd ever. usually sells for $300-$400 used)
Silence Of The Lambs
Robocop
The Killer
Spinal Tap
Sid & Nancy
Dead Ringers
The Hitchcock titles
Hard Boiled
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

And here are some non-CC dvd's that are worth some cash:

Liquid Shorts (MTV Liquid Television Comp)
Aeon Flux
3-disc Army Of Darkness LE set from Anchor Bay
Evil Dead special edition tin
Tool: Salival CD/DVD set (sold this on ebay for $100 a few months ago)
Maniac LE tin
Halloween 2-disc original release with TV cut of film included.
Rocky Horror Picture Show 2-disc set (replaced with the single-disc version. not worth THAT much yet, but its value is slowly starting to rise)

The Criterion 400 Blows used to be OOP and pretty valuable but they've re-released it last year I belive.

[quote name='norkusa']The only Criterion discs that are rare are ones that are out of print. The thing about Criterion discs is that most of the REALLY valuable ones have been bootlegged (like Salo and The Killer) and look almost 100% identical to the real deal, so the prices have been dropping on them over the past couple years. Off the top of my head I know the following CC discs are OOP:

Silence Of The Lambs
Robocop
The Killer
Spinal Tap
Sid & Nancy
Dead Ringers
The Hitchcock titles
Hard Boiled

Aeon Flux
Maniac LE tin
Rocky Horror Picture Show 2-disc set (replaced with the single-disc version. not worth THAT much yet, but its value is slowly starting to rise)

The Criterion 400 Blows used to be OOP and pretty valuable but they've re-released it last year I belive.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the Aeon Flux set will be of worth too much longer. From what the Paramount reps told me at last Comic-Con, they said that when the Aeon-Flux movie comes out later this year, they will be releasing the entire series and if I'm not mistaken, also with the shorts.

Alot of Anchorbay's older, numbered releases (Non-"bootleg" edition of Army of Darkness, original 98 release of Dawn of the Dead, etc.) are worth something to collectors.

However, they've sorta strayed away from that recently.

don't get too crazy for the 2 disc Rocky Horror, either. there is a 30th anniversary version coming, it may have all the same stuff (and more).

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Aeon Flux is indeed being released as a series set to coincide with the movie. www.tvshowsondvd.com has the cover art for it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's great Aeon Flux is getting a re-relase. I kind of suspected it would though with the release of the movie coming soon. I never liked the series but I was a huge fan of the shorts that they'd play on Liquid Television, so I'll definitely be picking up this new 3-disc set just for those.

There really is a 30th Anniversary Edition of RHPS coming out? Sheesh. This DVD double-dipping is really getting out of hand.

[quote name='norkusa']The only Criterion discs that are rare are ones that are out of print. The thing about Criterion discs is that most of the REALLY valuable ones have been bootlegged (like Salo and The Killer) and look almost 100% identical to the real deal, so the prices have been dropping on them over the past couple years. Off the top of my head I know the following CC discs are OOP:

Silence Of The Lambs
Robocop
The Killer
Spinal Tap
Sid & Nancy
Dead Ringers
The Hitchcock titles
Hard Boiled

Aeon Flux
Maniac LE tin

The Criterion 400 Blows used to be OOP and pretty valuable but they've re-released it last year I belive.[/QUOTE]

Proud to say I own the LE Army of Darkness set, Tool's Salival, Halloween 2 Disc SE, I have the Evil Dead 2 tin (the first ED was released in the Book of the Dead packaging, I dont know how much it is worth yet), Spinal Tap CC, Robocop CC, SOTL CC, Hard Boiled CC, Dead Ringers CC, all the Hitchcock CC's

I do know, in reference to anothers post, that the Fist of the North Star (the American release in the snapper case) is pretty rare, at least I saw it go for over 100 bucks once on ebay... got mine upon release

Luckily Flash Gordon is still rare and hasnt seen rerelease like most formerly rare titles (Amazon Women on the Moon, Scarface, MP's Meaning of Life, Fargo)

Another VERY rare dvd is the UNCUT version of Kids... there IS a readily available version available now, but it has 10 minutes chopped off of it... I had this, but traded it in for 3 dvds I wanted (and Kids is a very depressing film anyway)

The "unreleased" Little Shop of horrors dvd with the alternate ending is still rare

I could go on...

i got beauty and the beast (2 Disc) SEALED that I stole from my sister but she doesn't know lol. And Lion king that is also discontinued...

i got beauty and the beast SEALED that I stole from my sister but she doesn't know lol. And Lion king that is also discontinued...

i got beauty and the beast SEALED that I stole from my sister but she doesn't know lol. And Lion king that is also discontinued...

The Cowboy Bebop box set. I have one and I would protect it with my life. Okay, maybe not, but I'd consider it for a moment!

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']i got beauty and the beast (2 Disc) SEALED that I stole from my sister but she doesn't know lol. And Lion king that is also discontinued...[/QUOTE]

did you steal it from her 3 times? j/k. i've been looking for that DVD forever. my fiancee and i recently started collecting Disney DVDs, and we need sleeping beauty and beauty and the beast to sort of finish it off. i had sleeping beauty sealed at FYE, but the day i actually went to buy it someone got it. man i was pissed.

also, what's the deal with that Salo dvd. has anyone seen it? at the criterion site it say it's one of the most disturbing and disgusting movies made. what does that mean? insight please.

[quote name='munch']also, what's the deal with that Salo dvd. has anyone seen it? at the criterion site it say it's one of the most disturbing and disgusting movies made. what does that mean? insight please.[/QUOTE]

Four fascist libertines round up 9 teenages boys and girls and subject them to 120 days of physical, mental and sexual torture.

Here is a person's review:

"This is a tough one. Pasolini was a very complicated man. He was murdered in still-unexplained circumstances shortly after the film was completed. I was 10 years old when this movie was finished, but I only saw it now.

Despite being almost 30 years old, Salo is probably the most cruel and repulsive film ever made, not just here in Italy but in the whole world. It depicts the worse atrocities inflicted to humans by humans.

The true dark side of human nature: When evil is born out of simple boredom, when it comes naturally. It is a film that I don't want to see ever again, but at the same time I'm glad it was made.

I thought hated it at first, but I now I realized is not true. Of course I don't love it either. I can't decide how to judge it. I don't like the cinematography or the acting. But it was definitely one of the most profound emotional experiences of revulsion I've had in a film. It is a necessary evil if you can endure it."

bread's done
Back