...Any ppl care to fill me in?

Hadn't won a World Series since 1908. Brought on by the trade of Babe Ruth to the Tankees. Watch the 86 world series to see the full wrath of the curse.

To elaborate, the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees (not traded, just sold for cash and a supply of baseballs I believe) following their last World Series victory in 1918. Babe went on the become, well Babe Ruth, as he became a full time position player rather than a pitcher with the Yanks, while the Red Sox had not won a single World Series since then until now.

Edit: Yeah, and the Red Sox always lose in hearbreaking fashion, which makes it a curse. See: the '86 World Series and Bill Buckner as someone said, Aaron Boone last year, two previous game 7's against the Cardinals.....

[quote name='scsg75']Hadn't won a World Series since 1908. Brought on by the trade of Babe Ruth to the Tankees. Watch the 86 world series to see the full wrath of the curse.[/quote]

It was 1918, they traded Babe Ruth two years later, the next day inhibition came into effect. Chaos for the Sox ever since.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

they sold ruth to the yankees, the yankees have been a dynasty.
boston hasnt won a world series since and there has always been a mystique about them being cursed because they have had a history of managing to lose in unusual and very unlucky ways since then.

[quote name='paz9x'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

boston hasnt won a world series since and there has always been a mystique about them being cursed because they have had a history of managing to lose in unusual and very unlucky ways since then.[/quote]

Yeah, sold. Close enough. Doesn't matter now that it's over.

[quote name='paz9x'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

boston hasnt won a world series since and there has always been a mystique about them being cursed because they have had a history of managing to lose in unusual and very unlucky ways since then.[/quote]

I believe you mean prohibition....

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='paz9x'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

I believe you mean prohibition....[/quote]

I believe you meant to quote Crash.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='scsg75']Hadn't won a World Series since 1908. Brought on by the trade of Babe Ruth to the Tankees. Watch the 86 world series to see the full wrath of the curse.[/quote]

It was 1918, they traded Babe Ruth two years later, the next day inhibition came into effect. Chaos for the Sox ever since.[/quote]

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='paz9x'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

Yeah, sold. Close enough. Doesn't matter now that it's over.[/quote]

86 years of baseball history matters :p
I wasnt trying to dick ya. just give the cag a more ocmplete explanation.

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='paz9x'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

no, i think he meant inhibition, like everyone got really shy all of a sudden.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='paz9x'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They traded Babe Ruth, no WS wins since.[/quote]

I believe you meant to quote Crash.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='scsg75']Hadn't won a World Series since 1908. Brought on by the trade of Babe Ruth to the Tankees. Watch the 86 world series to see the full wrath of the curse.[/quote]

It was 1918, they traded Babe Ruth two years later, the next day inhibition came into effect. Chaos for the Sox ever since.[/quote][/quote]

DAMN YOU AND YOUR LOGIC!

and your sigs making me happy in the pants...

also should mention the red sox won five world series between 1903 and 1918, more than any other team at the time. They were the most dominant team in baseball until giving up babe ruth.

There is no such thing as a curse.

The only 'curses' were Cronyism, Racism, and lack of pitching.

Racism because they had the opportunity to sign Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays before anyone else even saw them, and they didn't because they were black. This was mostly because of the owner, Tom Yawkey, who changed his ways shortly before he died. Whether he actually changed his mind or it became impractical for him is debatable.

Cronyism because friends and relatives were always hired instead of qualified people, for everything.

And the Redsox have never had good pitching, really until now. They generally had at most one good pitcher on the team, if that.

The thing that was really bad was that Ruth was sold so that the Sox owner could put on a play. He also ended up selling more players to the yanks for the play too.

bread's done
Back