Any PSTwo info yet?

Acrylic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Is there any info on the "PSTwo" (Like what hapened after the PLaystation got outdated, they released a smaller, cooler looking playstation)?

I want to know so I can trade in my PS2 (since I dont play it much anyways) and get money to save up for a "PSTwo".

Any info would be appreciated. :)

No info yet. The PS2 still sells, so they don't need something to revive it with yet.

[quote name='Acrylic']Is there any info on the "PSTwo" (Like what hapened after the PLaystation got outdated, they released a smaller, cooler looking playstation)?

I want to know so I can trade in my PS2 (since I dont play it much anyways) and get money to save up for a "PSTwo".

Any info would be appreciated. :)[/quote]

Look this doesnt make much sense. Support a console you dont play and start saving now to be the same thing? No sense at all. What does it do for you?

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='Acrylic']Is there any info on the "PSTwo" (Like what hapened after the PLaystation got outdated, they released a smaller, cooler looking playstation)?

Look this doesnt make much sense. Support a console you dont play and start saving now to be the same thing? No sense at all. What does it do for you?[/quote]

shhhhhh.... how do you think they make money?

i concur with the idea that the pstwo will most likely be the way that sony keeps the PS2 hardware and software alive long after the PS3 is out. so it probably won't be released until a few months before the PS3, or a few months after, either way in that general timeframe.

[quote name='SpookyD'][quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='Acrylic']Is there any info on the "PSTwo" (Like what hapened after the PLaystation got outdated, they released a smaller, cooler looking playstation)?

Look this doesnt make much sense. Support a console you dont play and start saving now to be the same thing? No sense at all. What does it do for you?[/quote]

shhhhhh.... how do you think they make money?[/quote]

thats exactly why gaming is in the state it is right now... Ohh yeah get me the latests coolest one of the same thing that has no changes what so ever. its like changing a car body but keeping the interior the exact same. Who the hell ...nevermind. Yes it would sell.. Stupid stupid people.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='Acrylic']Is there any info on the "PSTwo" (Like what hapened after the PLaystation got outdated, they released a smaller, cooler looking playstation)?

I have one of the older PS2s, and Im thinking with the "PSTwo" Itll have the features of the newer PS2. And Im sure it'll be smaller, so it'll save some space for me.

[quote name='Acrylic']

I have one of the older PS2s, and Im thinking with the "PSTwo" Itll have the features of the newer PS2. And Im sure it'll be smaller, so it'll save some space for me.[/quote]

Unless you're really hard up to play copied DVD movies the newer feature aren't anything worth spending money on when the PS3 will be entering the scene at the same time and would offer more of a genuine upgrade across the board.

I expect Sony to stick to their pattern. A greatly altered PS2 model won't appear to take a secondary role in Sony's console lineup until there is something to take the lead position. Additionally, if Sony is going to follow a similar pricing pattern the existing PS2 has at one price reduction ahead of it to reach the $99 price typical of consoles bbefore they go into serious decline with a successor in the wings.

Don't expect a future PS2 derivative to be greatly smaller. Unlike the original Playstation there isn't all that much to be done to reduce the physical volume of the machine without losing features. Consider how much of its volume is the cavity for the hard drive bay. Die shrinks and integration of the chip set can allow for some reduced cooling needs and tighter accomodations but unless they switch to a cheap top loader DVD drive design there is still and issue of surface area for all the assorted ports and plugs and the need to keep items like cables blocking other items like drive access.

I gots me both a PSon and GAB SP duhh. Alos I reckon C2 is goin 2 b sucessfull cuz its jus coke w haf teh carbs.

[quote name='smalien1']Whoever would buy a PSone or Ps Two is the same kind of dumbass who buys a iPod Mini just because it looks cool, or a GBA SP[/quote]

[quote name='smalien1']Whoever would buy a PSone or Ps Two is the same kind of dumbass who buys a iPod Mini just because it looks cool, or a GBA SP[/quote]

PSone is just a smaller PS1. GBA SP is a GBA upgraded with a front lit screen and a rechargable battery. That's a bad example.

Great theory!!!!

Or their old one screwed up
or they didn't have the the first version
or they don't want their GB screen scratched up

The iPod Mini is much smaller than the original iPod. If you want to go running/jogging with your iPod, the Mini is much better suited. Also, after having to jam an iPod regular into and out of your pocket, you'd appreciate the Mini. I would buy a PSone if I didn't have the original Playstation, but I wanted to get into gaming without the $300 or so the PS2 cost when it came out. And the GBA SP? Hmm... that's a 'real' hard one to justify purchasing. Screen protection. smaller when folded up, and backlit screen...

[quote name='jeffreyjrose'][quote name='smalien1']Whoever would buy a PSone or Ps Two is the same kind of dumbass who buys a iPod Mini just because it looks cool, or a GBA SP[/quote]

The iPod Mini is much smaller than the original iPod. If you want to go running/jogging with your iPod, the Mini is much better suited. Also, after having to jam an iPod regular into and out of your pocket, you'd appreciate the Mini. I would buy a PSone if I didn't have the original Playstation, but I wanted to get into gaming without the $300 or so the PS2 cost when it came out. And the GBA SP? Hmm... that's a 'real' hard one to justify purchasing. Screen protection. smaller when folded up, and backlit screen...[/quote]

There is also much to be said for the PSone's portability combined with a massive library. Back in the 80's I used to lug a Mac SE between the office and my home on weekend because back then it seemed marvelously portable. The PSone with a battery pack and LCD screen is good deal smaller and lighter than that. I'd definitely take mine along if I was going on a trip where I might be stuck in a single location for a long time. I still have tons of PSone games in my colelction to play that leave the bulk of the GBA library for dead. Which isn't to say I don't like my GBA, just that the PSone had some very practical uses even if you already owned a Playstation 1 or 2.

Some how I cant see a PStwo costing less than 125. I mean a PSone would only play games and cds but a PStwo would play both PSone and cds along side of playing PS2 games and movies. seems like a bit much to me to stick into a 99 dollar package.

Buy the end of the year we'll have the PSP that will be used to keep up interest until the PS3 starts it's hypemachine in mid 2005, by xmas 2005 we'll probably see a PStwo and then the release of PS3 in september 2006.

[quote name='Alpha2']Some how I cant see a PStwo costing less than 125. I mean a PSone would only play games and cds but a PStwo would play both PSone and cds along side of playing PS2 games and movies. seems like a bit much to me to stick into a 99 dollar package.

Buy the end of the year we'll have the PSP that will be used to keep up interest until the PS3 starts it's hypemachine in mid 2005, by xmas 2005 we'll probably see a PStwo and then the release of PS3 in september 2006.[/quote]

Oh, It's easily doable. It just requires sufficient market strength to justify the cost of further engineering revs to the chipset. Moving everything to 130 nm and integrating the two main chips (which greatly simplifies the main board) cuts things down considerably cost wise. Sony has already done proof of concept on the new chip revs. It just remains to do a new board layout and commit production. If they're confident of selling at least five million more PS2s for $99 after Xmas 2004 the plan is a go. Considering the volume of PSones that have been sold this is a pretty likely scenario. Recall that the original PS got down to $99 with minor revs before the major rev of the PSone brought it down to a trivial $50.

The PStwo, as I mentioned before, won't necessarily be physically smaller for various practical reasons but they still have another rev possible for the chipset. At 90 nm they could potentially put all three chips and the 32 MB of main memory on a single die for an extremely simple board layout and potentially much smaller unit if they integrate the Network Adapter and possibly forego the hard drive along with a top loader DVD drive.

Don't expect to see that until the PS3 has firmly relegated the PS2 to seeking those kind of niche markets. due to the library and ability to drive a full NTSC res screen this won't be a problem in term of competing with Sony's own PSP. (Provided that machine does well on its own merits.)

Actually a GBA Sp has a backlit screen and the screen is protected when its closed TWO HUGE reasons to upgrade over the regular GBA.

Also to note is the Sweet rechargable battery I wouldnt want to spend money on AA's all the tiem witht he regualr GBA.

So thats three reasons to own a GBA Sp over a GBA.

epobirs, that was a great technical post. Are you possibly an engineer or work with computer hardware?

On a side note, I would love to see a redesigned Xbox. Maybe they can somehow make it into SFF like those cube computers.

I'd wager they drop the DVD funcitonality to A) cut costs and B) cram everything else in a smaller form factor. A cheapo DVD player is around $50 and does a better and more reliable job of playback then a PS2 anyway.

[quote name='WildWop']I'd wager they drop the DVD funcitonality to A) cut costs and B) cram everything else in a smaller form factor. A cheapo DVD player is around $50 and does a better and more reliable job of playback then a PS2 anyway.[/quote]

No way. The DVD playback would be too important as part of the semi-portable appeal.

Also, the cost is pretty minimal at this point. The MPEG-2 codec hardware functionality would have to remain regardless since it is heavily used in games. What remains is a small piece of software and the license. The storage space for the software is truly trivial. Measured in pennies. The licensing for DVD playback is done on a sliding scale. It gets cheaper the more you use your license. If you make 100,000 units your cost is significantly greater than it calculates out to if, over several years of product life, you make 10 million units. Considering how many PS2 systems have already been sold the ongoing license cost would be a very bad reason to give up a major feature.

[quote name='magilacudy']epobirs, that was a great technical post. Are you possibly an engineer or work with computer hardware?

On a side note, I would love to see a redesigned Xbox. Maybe they can somehow make it into SFF like those cube computers.[/quote]

I do IT work and freelance writing along with anything else that comes up.

A engineering rev to cut the size of the Xbox would be no big deal. All the chips in there are at 18 micron and could all easily be reduced to .13 or .11 fairly easily. The CPU could be replaced with a late model P-III underclocked to match the behavior of the current chip and have the added benefit of running very cool and needing only a minimal heat sink. The two NVIDIA chips would likewise run cooler and there would be greatly reduced power draw all around. This would allow for a much smaller board design by eliminating much of the cooling hardware and associated empty space for air flow. A smaller power supply would be viable and could located outside the machine for further reduction of cooling needs. This would be a big wall wart but people are used to that. I'd only be concerned by the wall wart if a semi-portable market were being pursued.

Again, like the proposed PStwo above, a top loading DVD drive would allowfor more cost cutting and options for use of the surface space for ports. Like the newer PS2 they could integrate an IR receiver for remote controls. It would just mean another USB device and may even work with the existing DVD playback firmware if it isn't hardwired to only search four ports for the DVD Kit plug-in. The final product shouldn't be any larger than a current PS2 and potentially smaller if they really want that semi-portable market.

All this is doable except for one problem. There isn't a market driving demand for a major Xbox rev. The machine just hasn't done the numbers for Microsoft to justify the investment. As soon as they get word that all developers worth mentioning have no no software in development they'll simply stop production and let it and its library fade away. I'd really prefer for a the next Xbox to be backward compatible but the NVIDIA situation likely makes that impossible. With that in mind they have a lot of motivation to simply try to migrate people to the new machine quickly as possible.

It would be nice if they offered some sort of loyalty program that gave existing Xbox owners a cost break or some sort of bonus for buying the new machine sooner than later.

[quote name='epobirs']It would be nice if they offered some sort of loyalty program that gave existing Xbox owners a cost break or some sort of bonus for buying the new machine sooner than later.[/quote]
That would really be nice, like I don't understand why companies don't offer games for their machines at launch when they cost the most, that would be an incentive to get the console first, make it some kind of limited run where they make it with the games until the price drops to a certain point... but now it kind of seems illogical for them to stop giving out the games when the price drops, people would expect to get the games as well. That was one really incoherent thought :oops:

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Did you leave a word out of the first sentence? It seems contradictory with the rest.

THe whole thing is in pursuit of profit. PAck-in games at launch stopped as the machines' cost came up against their viable selling price or worse began to cost more than they wholesaled to the retail channel for and offered the retailr and almost non-existent margin. This is why so many stores would only sell newly launch system of this generation in bundles. They were otherwise faced with investing substantial time in selling products with no assurance of any profit.

Early in a machine's life a bundled game grreatly increase the pain for a manufacturer. This caused some confusion at retail. I've found myself in arguments with people who insisted the Nintendo 64 was released at $250 with Mario 64 included when in fact it was really $200 and Mario 64 was optional. It was an utter waste of time to buy a N64 in the first several month if you didn't like Mario 64 but it wasn't required.

This points to another problem. The gaming audience is much more diverse than it used to be. IT's much harder to have a launch title that reaches nearly the whole audience. Of the current three machines only Halo came close to that level of popularity but its ESRB rating makes it unviable for a product intended to reach a wide demographic.

[quote name='epobirs']I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Did you leave a word out of the first sentence? It seems contradictory with the rest.[/quote]
You are correct, I reworded it. I really need to look over what I write before I post it

[quote name='Tom'][quote name='epobirs']I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Did you leave a word out of the first sentence? It seems contradictory with the rest.[/quote]
You are correct, I reworded it. I really need to look over what I write before I post it[/quote]

THat's OK. I now see my replay is pretty riddled with typos, too. Especially that sticky shift key thing.

Ah, the good old days...when we got 2 joysticks, a pair of paddles and a game all in one shot. Personally, I blame Sony, they were the first to NOT pack-in a game, and it didn't hurt them.

I agree that it is much harder nowadays to choose a pack-in game that everyone likes.

the PSP IS OUT(or said to be)my friend imported from japan but he wont tell me where he got it.............i think he got a stolen one from E3 of sumthing but the thing is cooler than hell............and the screen is crisper than crisp....its crispy Xtreme.........the game that he has for it is horribly stupid

ummm no.

I've checked like three major sites and non of them have said anything beyond it comming out in winter.

A smaller PS2 or PStwo is highly plausible in my opinion because the we've been looking at the old design for like 4 years, Once the PSP ACTUALLY comes out, they'd want to build a symbiotic relationship between them so if they can offer a more compact home system (not neccsarily portable) they can capitalize on something they beleive to be one of their strengths, estetic design.

If they wanted too they could compress the PS2 into something the size of the Gamecube and even keep the HDD and Ethernet capabilities.

reviving an old thread here, wow i used the search button!!

so anyone hear anything recently on a possible pstwo, gamespot had a lame rumor things about it that really offered no insight. personally i am crossing my fingers they make one of these, and i think the launch of the PSP would be a perfect time to do it..... anyone? anything?

Reviving again due to reports that a PStwo will be released with GTA San Andreas. Check out IGN or Gamespot. I personally don't see this happening, but stranger things have happened (ilovebees.com)

You guys should quit asking if there's any info on a PStwo. You know good and well that if there was it would be posted all over the net.

Nothin wrong with reporting a rumor as long as it'd clearly defined as a rumor, they can sometimes have roots in fact.

bread's done
Back