Any Sid Meier's Pirates players out there?

jshorr

CAGiversary!
I'd like to get some info on how the game runs on your computer and what rig you have. Mine isn't the fastest by any stretch but I think it's decent and I'm not thrilled with the performance, especially during ship battles. Sailing the caribbean is pretty much fine. Adjusting the video settings don't seem to have much of an affect. I have a P4 2.4a 400mhz fsb, 1.5GB PC133 SDRAM, and a geforce 5900XT 128mb running at agp 4x. I know I could use a newer MB with a faster bus, better memory and agp 8X or pci-e...but the min requirements are like a P3 1ghz....based on what im seeing on my system during the ship battles, it would take 5 minutes for a single turn on a 1 ghz machine :)

I am a tech by trade and I have everything updated properly and actually recently reinstalled XP SP2 a few weeks ago. But your experience with the games performance would be helpful to me. Maybe you really need a new 3GHZ rig to play the game fast? thanks

I have a fast rig, and dont experience any problems.

I have to say that I am suprised that the game has problems on your PC. Based on the specs, yours should be able to handle it.

Do you have the latest video card drivers installed?

Yeah I have everything updated and the latest. I installed it at work on a 2.8 533, 768 ram and a Geforce 4MX 64mb card. It's strange.....some parts of the game run slower at work, but the part that runs real slow at home (ship battles) runs fastet at work than at home....faster bus, 400mhz more CPU, but MUCH crappier video card although it is running at AGP 8X. Other sections, like the land battles, run much faster at home. Very strange. I'm wondering if the ship battles are just extremely CPU intensive and my shower bus, cpu and ram are killing me.

crowbb, what bus speed is your motherboard and what speed AGP do you have, 4x/8x? Thanks.

[quote name='Elrod']I have a fast rig, and dont experience any problems.

I have to say that I am suprised that the game has problems on your PC. Based on the specs, yours should be able to handle it.

Do you have the latest video card drivers installed?[/quote]

It's really only the ship battles...everything else is decent speed...

I'd just like to mention I bought this game today, and on my virtually identical system except I have GF4 ti4200, I'm only getting a bit of slowdown in ship battles.

Also, this game is pretty much amazing. I don't normally play PC games, but wow. Six hours and counting today.

I played this on my old computer last month, and I noticed no slowdown on a P4 2.4ghz, 533 fsb, 512 rdram, Geforce 6800. Maybe you have a graphic setting turned on that gives your rig trouble.

I played with a lame PC (2.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM, generic intel graphics card w/ 64 MB) and performance wasn't terrible with sliders turned down. Slowdown in ship battles and sword fights. And some slowdown if I zoomed WAY out on the overworld map.

I don't see why it shouldn't run really well for you. Good luck.

You should not have any real issues. My computer also slowed down on large battles even though it should have been able to do it wihtout issues. At the time I had a 2.8ghz P4 with 1gb of Ram and a OCed 600XT. 800FSB. I would try doing the regualr maintence stuff, close any programs running the background, defrag, spyware and virus scans and that sort of thing.

I'm looking for it cheap, the lowest I've seen for it is $29.99. I've played the hell out of the Xbox version, but I want it on PC.

I'm VERY surprised those computers are having problems with the game. I mean, I was expecting everyone to be talking about Battlefield 2 problems or something with those specs....

I'm running the game on an Athlon Xp 2600+, 512MB of RAM and a GeForce 4 Ti4800 with maxed settings without a single hint of slowdown. Hell, if I turn a few minor things off I can run the game very smoothly on my Laptop with a 1.6 gHz Pentium M, 512MB of RAM and a Radeon 9000...

bread's done
Back