Any Stores With Demo Units Yet?

Friedle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Are there any stores with demo PSPs yet? There aren't any in my area. It's been four and a half months. At my TRU we finally opened one for display, but it just plays the Spider-Man 2 UMD over and over. Nothing Sony supported. And out rep had no idea when anything like that would be coming.

I was really hoping to try Death Jr. before dropping the money.

Good question, the only time I remember be able to try out the PSP's was the launch weekend at Bestbuy when they were letting you try them out. Besides that I have yet to see anything.

[quote name='Friedle']I was really hoping to try Death Jr. before dropping the money.[/QUOTE]

Are you still going to buy Death Jr. considering all the subpar reviews it's gotten recently?

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Are you still going to buy Death Jr. considering all the subpar reviews it's gotten recently?[/QUOTE]thats probably why he wanted to try it

[quote name='LiquidNight']thats probably why he wanted to try it[/QUOTE]

That would be correct.

It looked like it had promise. Dunno if it actually does. Looks like GameFly. It freakin' costs $8 to rent a Blockbuster game. -_- I wanted to rent Madden tonight, but that's just crazy. I'll just wait for it to come up in my Q. How do they even compete? Two game retntals and I've paid for more than a month of GF.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Are you still going to buy Death Jr. considering all the subpar reviews it's gotten recently?[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed Coded Arms, even though it got subpar reviews. I also enjoyed XIII even though it got subpar reviews. I even enjoyed CT Special Forces 2 even though that got horrid reviews.

Reviews don't mean much to me, there are a lot of 9.0 games I think suck, and a lot of 6.0 games I really enjoy.

If you skip out on games just because EGM or Gamespot says they are bad you are missing a lot of good games.

[quote name='Friedle']Are there any stores with demo PSPs yet? There aren't any in my area. It's been four and a half months. At my TRU we finally opened one for display, but it just plays the Spider-Man 2 UMD over and over. Nothing Sony supported. And out rep had no idea when anything like that would be coming.

I was really hoping to try Death Jr. before dropping the money.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking because the PSP's screen is so sensitive, and it's a delicate system to begin with, that if games were on it the thing would be broke in a month.

Take a look at some of those Nintendo systems... they sure look like they've taken a beating. I don't think a PSP could withstand that sort of punishment.

[quote name='Friedle']That would be correct.

It looked like it had promise. Dunno if it actually does. Looks like GameFly. It freakin' costs $8 to rent a Blockbuster game. -_- I wanted to rent Madden tonight, but that's just crazy. I'll just wait for it to come up in my Q. How do they even compete? Two game retntals and I've paid for more than a month of GF.[/QUOTE]

They compete off of people like me, the people who rent stuff 2 times a year.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm thinking because the PSP's screen is so sensitive, and it's a delicate system to begin with, that if games were on it the thing would be broke in a month.

Take a look at some of those Nintendo systems... they sure look like they've taken a beating. I don't think a PSP could withstand that sort of punishment.[/QUOTE]

word, the DS they've got over at circuit city is a mess its like little kids go in there and stab the screen with the stylus.

[quote name='Friedle']I was really hoping to try Death Jr. before dropping the money.[/QUOTE]

I'll save you the trouble - it sucks so don't waste your money. I mean, there's no guartantee but I'd say there's about an 85% chance of suckage.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I enjoyed Coded Arms, even though it got subpar reviews. I also enjoyed XIII even though it got subpar reviews. I even enjoyed CT Special Forces 2 even though that got horrid reviews.

Reviews don't mean much to me, there are a lot of 9.0 games I think suck, and a lot of 6.0 games I really enjoy.

If you skip out on games just because EGM or Gamespot says they are bad you are missing a lot of good games.[/QUOTE]

Your just a huge FPS fan who doesn't like certain gametypes. If you get to know yourself better and figure out what Genre's are right for you, you'll be better able to guage reviews. Keep in mind that when IGN or someone else gives Coded Arms a 6.0, that's for the general populance. To an FPS fan such as yourself, CA ranks higher, probably an 8 or even a 9. People who hate FPS games would rate it lower, IE between a 1-4.

Me personally, I cursed to be a "jack of all trades" gamer, in other words I love all Genres, and I don't really favor any genre to another (or not that much). It's great to be able to write an un-biased review, it's horrible to have 190+ Games that all call out to your interest simultaneously :hot:

Well Comp USA of all places had one in my area. IT had the demo disc in and I didnt cehck to see if it was playable or not.

Myabe Comp USA is good for something..

[quote name='Quackzilla']I enjoyed Coded Arms, even though it got subpar reviews. I also enjoyed XIII even though it got subpar reviews. I even enjoyed CT Special Forces 2 even though that got horrid reviews.

If you skip out on games just because EGM or Gamespot says they are bad you are missing a lot of good games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anything about skipping the game. I said I wanted to try it before I buy it.

I use reviews as a guide, I don't live by them. Everything is subjective.

I'm pretty sure its not cause the system is so delicate or cause their $200 systems.
I have a feeling the real reason Sony doesn't have a PSP Koisks is because they are afraid that once some one gets to play with one and they see its just a portable PS2 with PS2 ports and the novelty of the big screen wares off they might not pick it up after all. They probily see that they will sell more PSP when people haven't used it and are buying it on hype alone.

[quote name='CapAmerica']I'm pretty sure its not cause the system is so delicate or cause their $200 systems.
I have a feeling the real reason Sony doesn't have a PSP Koisks is because they are afraid that once some one gets to play with one and they see its just a portable PS2 with PS2 ports and the novelty of the big screen wares off they might not pick it up after all. They probily see that they will sell more PSP when people haven't used it and are buying it on hype alone.[/QUOTE]

Once the firmware 2.0 comes out (on the 12th) a demo movie with web surfing and talking about the new codec -- I'm sure they could appeal to the geek within everyone. And then MP3s, UMDs, pictures, and home movies for everyone else.

And besides, everyone who bought a unit knew the game selection. It's not like "We're not showing you what games you can get until you buy one. Oh snap! Nothing but overpriced PS2 rehashes for you!"

It's just lame.

[quote name='ryanbph']they aren't all ports...i would imagine it has to do with the lack of games available to demo[/QUOTE]

It could just be one game, like the DS or GBA. It doesn't have to demo everything.

I dunno. It just bother's me that there's nothing. Sales have slowed in my store and I think a demo would help change that.

Besides, when your system only gets one game this month you'd think you'd want to try and push it.

[quote name='javeryh']I'll save you the trouble - it sucks so don't waste your money. [/QUOTE]
Wow, how did you get it already? I thought the only person here who had it was CheapyD!

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Your just a huge FPS fan who doesn't like certain gametypes. If you get to know yourself better and figure out what Genre's are right for you, you'll be better able to guage reviews. Keep in mind that when IGN or someone else gives Coded Arms a 6.0, that's for the general populance. To an FPS fan such as yourself, CA ranks higher, probably an 8 or even a 9. People who hate FPS games would rate it lower, IE between a 1-4.

Me personally, I cursed to be a "jack of all trades" gamer, in other words I love all Genres, and I don't really favor any genre to another (or not that much). It's great to be able to write an un-biased review, it's horrible to have 190+ Games that all call out to your interest simultaneously :hot:[/QUOTE]

I never knew I had a twin. :)

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Your just a huge FPS fan who doesn't like certain gametypes. If you get to know yourself better and figure out what Genre's are right for you, you'll be better able to guage reviews. Keep in mind that when IGN or someone else gives Coded Arms a 6.0, that's for the general populance. To an FPS fan such as yourself, CA ranks higher, probably an 8 or even a 9. People who hate FPS games would rate it lower, IE between a 1-4.

Me personally, I cursed to be a "jack of all trades" gamer, in other words I love all Genres, and I don't really favor any genre to another (or not that much). It's great to be able to write an un-biased review, it's horrible to have 190+ Games that all call out to your interest simultaneously :hot:[/QUOTE]
I like all genres equally, except RPG, which I only like a little, and sport and fighting games which I hate.

I think games should be rated by someone who is interested in and enjoys games in the genre, but not obsessed by it. But NOT by someone who is not interested in the genre, because potential buyers will most likely be looking at games in genres they like.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I think games should be rated by someone who is interested in and enjoys games in the genre, but not obsessed by it. But NOT by someone who is not interested in the genre, because potential buyers will most likely be looking at games in genres they like.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with logic. :D

Edit: I liked XIII too.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I like all genres equally, except RPG, which I only like a little, and sport and fighting games which I hate.

I think games should be rated by someone who is interested in and enjoys games in the genre, but not obsessed by it. But NOT by someone who is not interested in the genre, because potential buyers will most likely be looking at games in genres they like.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and be the FPS reviewer for any length of time and eventually you are going to form a love / hate relationship... or seen that, been there and grade harder.

The system IS broken but its no easy fix.

bread's done
Back