Any tips for us incoming college freshman?

Get real drunk and stay out allllllllllllllll night.....is what they'll tell you.

This one just happened to me today. When your fat, ugly, 17 year old Nintendo super-fanboy of a roommate overloads the washing machine, causing it to spray and leak water everywhere, don't plot out your revenge in advance, since some states call that "premeditated" homicide, and you get extra years in jail.

Just go nuts, it will be the craziest time ever. Even if they're faking it, almost everyone you meet will be outgoing and friendly. You can hang out with all sorts of people you never knew in highschool.

Even if you don't drink or smoke pot, you should attempt to go to some parties because otherwise I think you'll be missing out on the full collegial experience.

Unless you're like The Mana Knight, in which case I'm sorry.

Advice from a recent grad:

1. Meet a lot of new people - If you live in the dorms, make an effort to meet people on your floor/dorm. Join organizations that interest you and make friends. There are just so many new and interesting people to meet in college.

2. Even though it's probably inevitable....try to avoid the freshman 15. Get active. Your tuition pays for gym access anyways. Plus, getting in shape doesn't hurt when trying to get girls.

3. Probably the most important - Learn how to balance work and play. Form study groups with people in your classes so you can keep each other on track when it's time to do work. Don't blow things off to get drunk and party...do that in your free time ;).

Hope that helps.

While school is an important part of college, its only a part of the process.

Take if from a man who got got his 2 year degree in 6 years.

I spent 4yrs @ a 4yr til I figured out my future and then tranferred to a 2yr school to get it done. I wouldn't change a thing. (Unless I could be in college forever, consequence free)

[quote name='ispeshaled']Advice from a recent grad:

1. Meet a lot of new people - If you live in the dorms, make an effort to meet people on your floor/dorm. Join organizations that interest you and make friends. There are just so many new and interesting people to meet in college.

2. Even though it's probably inevitable....try to avoid the freshman 15. Get active. Your tuition pays for gym access anyways. Plus, getting in shape doesn't hurt when trying to get girls.

3. Probably the most important - Learn how to balance work and play. Form study groups with people in your classes so you can keep each other on track when it's time to do work. Don't blow things off to get drunk and party...do that in your free time ;).

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

This is the best advice anybody has posted. I would ditto it, and say in general try to rise above the "I'm free I can do whatever I want" and stay focused on your goals. So many freshmen throw it all away because they're not ready or willing to see College as anything other than an extension of High School without their parents policing everything they do. Figure out why it was so important to parents to "make" you do responsible things and then decide whether or not that is the life you want.

Additionally, it is probably not the most popular advice for this board but nevertheless the best advice I have to give when asked this question. I believe God has a specific plan for you, and finding Him and his good desires for your life is the best way you can spend time, whether in College or life after. The time you invest in seeking out God's best for you, whether fun, boring, easy, or hard will be the best investment of your time that you have ever made - you'll see that when you look back.

My advice...

You heard it here first folks, the key to college is Finding Jesus.

rev2504.gif

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']You heard it here first folks, the key to college is Finding Jesus.
[/QUOTE]

Sarcastic, but true nevertheless. I adjusted it for you:

"You heard it here first folks, the key to college life is Finding Jesus."

[quote name='ispeshaled']Advice from a recent grad:

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Well said... and number 3 is crucial. Time management is so important in college. Knowing when to set time for studying and homwork is harder then it sounds. Especially when all your friends are going out and you got a paper due... there is nobody but you to stop you to study.

And depending on the major and class...... some classes are much harder and don't skip them !!! Blowing off classes... everybody does it... but you have to understand if you are capable to make that up.

My macro econ class... easy as pie.. i could miss class and still hit up an A... my comp org class though.. holy shit... skipping that class once was a headache trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

There is a lot of rehash in classes freshman year... calc.. physics.. chem... so it can be tempting to skip classes... (i skipped a few) but for some its a wake up call.. and others need to go to every class. Then you have the kid that never shows up and gets A's... so it depends on what you can handle.

also if you can get to know your professeors....most of them are actually pretty cool.

Instead of getting crunk faced all the time make sure the consuler is giving you the right classes. They like to keep you there for money. Make sure you have a sheet that shows what you need to graduate and follow it to the T.

Well, here is my advice.

Everyone is nervous about going to college. Colleges know this, and they have a way of breaking you in. Millions of people have gone to college and it works out just fine, so it'll be fine.

I'm sure you have advice from some people of what stuff to bring, what not to, etc. Just relax, everything will work out just fine.

Plus, going in, realize that there will never be a time in your life quite like this. Whether it's your favorite time of life is one thing, but really, it's a once in a lifetime shot. You are a psudo-adult (you have freedoms you never had before), yet you aren't working for a living, with other responsibilities. Make sure you enjoy it (while getting your work done) as much as you can. Sometimes, it's worth doing something that's "stupid" (not life chaninging driving drunk stupid, but staying up a bit too late to flirt with that girl when you still have a paper to do stupid).

School is VERY important, but the portiions of college that you will remmeber forever (and yearn for) are rarely the moments that you are in class.

I didn't even go away to college (went to a commuter college) and as much as I love my life now, I'd go back and do it all again in a heartbeat.

The biggest difference between HS and your freshman year will be the amount of reading you'll be expected to do. Just about every class will require you to read a few chapters before you're next class. It is very important to actually do the reading or you will quickly fall behind and have no clue what your prof is talking about.

Overall, find some peolpe you like who don't get stinking drunk with all of their free time and have fun. Seriously, you'll have plenty of time to party throughout your college days, you don't have to blow your load in the first semester (but have fun watching those who do.)

Make the most of it your first year because as you become more heavily involve in your major as the college years progress you will have less free time. So in that first year, go out and have lots of fun before you have to worry about interships, lining up a job, or grad school.

Remember, college is a fresh start for everybody. You'll barely see people from your high school so just go out there be yourself and you'll make plenty of friends.

Hey, where are you guys going to be freshmen at? I'll be a freshman at uconn in 8 days. Gettin excited, thanks for the tips. Any tips on what to bring for college?

[quote name='Ranger Rick']Any tips on what to bring for college?[/quote]
Lots of socks and undies. :lol:

This is my advice:

1. Get drunk.
2. Bang chicks.
3. Don't get fat.
4. Study your ass off.
5. Dump your HS girlfriend.
6. Skip class when there's something better to do.
7. Don't be afraid to try new stuff
8. Have the most fun you possibly can ALL THE TIME.

-Don't fuck up your grades.
-Don't drink every weekend unless you want to gain the freshman 15, then perhaps the freshman 40.
-Be careful who you hook up with. This is the 21st century, but you can still get the clap or herpes.
-Don't sit in your room all the time.
-Don't stress out over exams, they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.
-If you don't have many friends on campus, try to join one of the activity clubs. I'm sure there's a gaming club on campus.

[quote name='javeryh']This is my advice:

1. Get drunk.
2. Bang chicks.
3. Don't get fat.
4. Study your ass off.
8. Have the most fun you possibly can ALL THE TIME.[/quote]I remember when my freshman year roommate dumped his HS girlfriend... waited about a month or two into the year, so he could get in a few conjugal visits with her first (school was only about 45 minutes from his home), told her the bad news immediately after the last such encounter. While her dad was downstairs in the lobby. :lol: Cold.

Never really figured that out, as this guy wasn't much and there were only two or three girls at our school even approaching the eye candy of his now-ex. But he also only narrowly avoided getting kicked out of school on two occasions for academic reasons over the first two years, so I guess no explanations are needed.

Since advice for the most part is pretty decent so far (you'll pick and choose what you want to listen to anyway ;)), I'll just add: if your school has a ban on kegs, don't decide it's a good idea to use an empty one as a TV stand. Just don't. Even though I didn't even drink freshman year, I almost got put on probation for that. I blame the above-mentioned roommate for rolling it into the room one night at 3am.

[quote name='javeryh']This is my advice:

1. Get drunk.
2. Bang chicks.
3. Don't get fat.
4. Study your ass off.
8. Have the most fun you possibly can ALL THE TIME.[/quote]

Yes. :applause:
I need that advice.

Get as much ass as you possibly can. Just don't be stupid and forget your jim hat.

Don't let your grades slip, especially in your science classes. It's difficult to get your GPA back up if it slips too far.

Laptop locks are always useful. When I was a freshman last year, I didn't need one, as I was on a pretty good floor, and we all respected each other's stuff. That said, bring it anyway and see what happens.

The best advice ever is to have fun. Go out and meet some people. Join clubs, etc. If you like doing a sport, and if you can walk-on, do it. I joined the Track team (granted, D3) and had a blast with my teammates. Just keep in mind your time management. Like it was said before, balance work and play.

That said, don't forget your games.

[quote name='EXStrike']That said, don't forget your games.[/quote]

It's funny because when I was in college with my SNES it was still considered dorky to play video games. I remember being nervous setting it up in the middle of the night on the TV in the lounge (no one had TVs in their rooms as a freshman). I was pretty sure it would kill any chance I had of not getting made fun of but about 24 hours later there were 20 people passing the controller around playing Street Fighter II. My how times have changed.

get to know people in your class that way shoudl you miss a day or need help you will know someone who can help you and study with.

dont be afraid to ask questions in class chances are any question you have others have as well but are afraid to ask.

dont be scared to ask teachers for help or assistance some teachers can be dicks but many will do whetever they can and then some to help you out if they see youre serious about the class and want to know.

read. i cant stress that enough take the tiem to read the source materials even if you only read it once it will tend to stay in your mind for a while and make remembering things easier.

get to know the people on your floor( doorms). dont be afraid to talk to people but take the time to learn about them that way you can figure out whose cool and who you need to be wary of. be mindful not to give people too much personal info on you because it takes a bit to figure out whose genuine and whose a snake.

do not be afriad to chat up the ladies.you want to meet a chick just go up and talk to her and be real dont try to put on a front or pretend to be cool if youre not just be you you may not win all the chicks that way but you will meet alot of cool ones that can lead to other things.

get to know your RA. they can be pretty helpful and cool people and know alot about the campus and whats what and the fun spots.

meet up with your counselor regularly. depending on your major you will be assigned a counselor whose job it is is to keep track on your progress in college and help you kinda get adjusted to college life. dont be afraid to ask them thigns either.

youll notice a common trend in my advice is about fear because when i went to college i was pretty intimidated by it at first. scared to talk to people, scared to ask questions and i screwed up bigtime because of that and was alone the first month or so until i opened up and then everything changed. new things can be intimidating but just be yourself and have fun and stay on top of your studies. oh yeah if you walk away from your drink in a bar dont drink it when you come back just get another.

[quote name='javeryh']It's funny because when I was in college with my SNES it was still considered dorky to play video games. I remember being nervous setting it up in the middle of the night on the TV in the lounge (no one had TVs in their rooms as a freshman). I was pretty sure it would kill any chance I had of not getting made fun of but about 24 hours later there were 20 people passing the controller around playing Street Fighter II. My how times have changed.[/quote]

lol mortal kombat for me and we got lucky enough a few times to play it on the bigscreen in the main lobby.

I lived on a coed floor and on the guys half I think every had room had a N64 or PSX. Several cool rooms, mine included, had both. Goldeneye, PD, Twisted Metal 2, NHL 98, NBA Hangtime and on and on.

Our floor allowed smoking too \\:D/, so it was pretty much a giant haze of video game fun. If you wanted to study or something your best bet was to take it elsewhere. Such good times.

#1. Be Yourself- There will be many people there trying to be in this in-crowd and well they may do/like stuff they don't just to be cool. Don't be these people, be yourself, you will be much more happier.

#2. Get to know the guys on your floor- Trust me on this one, thre are many different people out there and you can make some great friends.

#3 Clubs?- If there is a club with stuff that intrests you, join it. You will make great friends while having fun at the same time.

Oh and don't forget the videogames, my freshman year, me and the guys from my floor spent countless hours playing Mario Strikers.

[quote name='klwillis45']I lived on a coed floor and on the guys half I think every had room had a N64 or PSX. Several cool rooms, mine included, had both. Goldeneye, PD, Twisted Metal 2, NHL 98, NBA Hangtime and on and on.

Our floor allowed smoking too \\:D/, so it was pretty much a giant haze of video game fun. If you wanted to study or something your best bet was to take it elsewhere. Such good times.[/quote]
Sounds exactly like my freshman year. GoldenEye came out that year and every night my roommate and I were taking on teams from other floors/dorms. More than a few times I made my party money for the week by rocking some fools with an RCP90 or Laser. Ahh, good times.
We were a smoking floor too. And I learned smoking + N64 controller = difficult.

Reality's Fringe;3246893 said:
-Don't fuck up your grades.
-Don't drink every weekend unless you want to gain the freshman 15, then perhaps the freshman 40.
-Be careful who you hook up with. This is the 21st century, but you can still get the clap or herpes.
-Don't sit in your room all the time.
-Don't stress out over exams, they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.
-If you don't have many friends on campus, try to join one of the activity clubs. I'm sure there's a gaming club on campus.
This is correct.

1. Experiment with new things. You love videogames but don't hesitate to join a rock climbing club to check it out. You've got the opportunity to try a lot of things over the next 4-6 years. Try them all and you won't walk away from graduation with regrets.

2. Bang all kinds of chicks. We all know you like the "insert stereotype here" girl but that black girl down the hall gives the best head and that Asian girl on the third floor will let you put it anywhere if you rub her feet first. Don't be afraid to get it on with all races. Just don't forget the jimmy.

3. For the love of god, don't open 10 credit cards. Credit card companies will hound you for the next couple years. Open the one that gives you the best APR and just CHILL. You're already going to have student loans, so don't walk out of college with another 5 grand in debt.

4. Study hard and make us proud. It's all on you now. The world is yours, you just gotta go get it.

I'm gonna be a junior in college in a few short weeks. Meeting people should definitely be a priority. Don't be afraid to friend all sorts of people. This isn't high-school where there were different cliques and certain kids only hung out with similar kids --> in college, almost everyone is pretty chill/mature. Be sociable and you will make friends.

Even if you aren't the type to go around door to door introducing yourself on that first day, make sure to keep your room door so others can come to you. That first week of school is pretty important in making friends.

College is a really good time. It's like a small society within your city. What other chance will you get to live/party with kids your age?

If you have a nice bike, be sure lock both the front and back tires up. Also, if you have a quick-release seat, TAKE IT WITH YOU when you park your bike (or get rid of the quick-release and bolt it on). I can't tell you how many bikes I saw at MSU missing their seats.

[quote name='lordwow']Don't get caught by your RA. It causes us a lot of paperwork.[/quote]
Truth.

Also, I echo the "dump your high school girlfriend" advice.

[quote name='gigantor1313']Don't take any classes before 12[/quote]

No class on Friday supercedes this rule though. You may have to adjust noon to 10 to get that done.

http://www.theburningbiscuit.com/InCollege.html

Believe it or not, 90% of those ring true. That being said, get excited.

[quote name='klwillis45']No class on Friday supercedes this rule though. You may have to adjust noon to 10 to get that done.[/QUOTE]

No way. I took classes at 8:30 in the morning my first semester, and usually went to bed at 5:00 am. A lot of the time I wouldn't sleep at all. Second semester, I bumped them up to Noon, and shit got real. Much more important than class-free Fridays.

(I nowhave class-free Fridays and no classes earlier than 11:20. fuck yeah.)

Most of the advice here is very good. Definitely pay attention to your grades. I've always regretted the fact that I let mine drop too much. If you are going to get drunk, be careful about how much and how often. I fell in with the wrong people and spent my last 3 years of college either drunk or hung-over all the time which hurt my grades and my social life. It took another 4-5 years after graduation before I started to sober up and realized how much I screwed things up.

[quote name='Silencer']Number #1 advice: Get sandals/flip-flops for the shower.[/quote]

or time your showers for right after they clean up the bathroom. and if you cant find the stinky guy on your floor it may be you lol. man i remember this guy really hairy foreign lookin bastard stunk like rotten anal canal and jock straps.....year round. went through like 3 ro 4 roommates and he wore shorts year round with sandals. and he was one of those creepy fucks that jumps sidles up to you and your crew when youre out and about chatting and starts saying the oddest shit out of the blue for no reason.

oh yeah learn how to make your meal plan work for you. i dunno if most schools do this or not but my old college had tons of places you could use your meal plan to buy groceries and other shit so figure out your meal plan and use that bitch to your advantage. and if you dont have a roommate with a fridge in your room get a fridge youll need it.

I'll tell you what I do:

-Sit in the front row in every class, so the Professor will like you.
-Never skip class.
-Always do your homework early and don't procrastinate.
-Do some homework on Friday night.
-Keep your dorm room door closed and spend all day in your room doing homework and on the computer.
-Do not drink.
-Do not party.
-Do not get laid.
-Go to bed at 9pm, so you'll be up early for classes.
-Go out to eat alone.
-Use Facebook to learn what your classmates are into before talking to them.

Lol, that was me in college. If you don't want to be like a nerd like me, please don't do anything I just mentioned. ;)

Well, just have fun in college and don't try to stress yourself out like myself.

bread's done
Back