Any tips for us incoming college freshman?

I say have fun and make sure u get the most out of class and the whole college enviroment. That includes making friends, banging hot chicks getting drunk, playing video games with your floor mates, also studying and trying to learn new stuff. Just dont over do it. Moderation is key my friend. Have a great freshman year.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll tell you what I do:

-Sit in the front row in every class, so the Professor will like you.
-Never skip class.
-Always do your homework early and don't procrastinate.
-Do some homework on Friday night.
-Keep your dorm room door closed and spend all day in your room doing homework and on the computer.
-Do not drink.
-Do not party.
-Do not get laid.
-Go to bed at 9pm, so you'll be up early for classes.
-Go out to eat alone.
-Use Facebook to learn what your classmates are into before talking to them.

Lol, that was me in college. If you don't want to be like a nerd like me, please don't do anything I just mentioned. ;)

Well, just have fun in college and don't try to stress yourself out like myself.[/quote]
LOL that wouldnt be fun though.

Find out what subject interests you and get as involved as possible in it. Find other people that are interested in it. Talk to them about their interests within the subject. College is there so you can develop your passion for a field, so be sure to take advantage of that as much as possible.

Also, get involved in research your freshman year. It'll teach you skills that are useful in all of your later classes.

[quote name='gigantor1313']Don't take any classes before 12[/QUOTE]

I don't know why people do this. If you take everything between eight and noon you'll be able to do so much more every day it's not even funny, and it's not like it stops you from staying awake until two if you must.

That's my experience anyway, maybe I'm just weird.

[quote name='Magus8472']I don't know why people do this. If you take everything between eight and noon you'll be able to do so much more every day it's not even funny, and it's not like it stops you from staying awake until two if you must.

That's my experience anyway, maybe I'm just weird.[/quote]

Its not that I'm all too lazy (a little maybe) but I hate the morning like vampire with a paper route. I always managed to get things done even though I had later classes.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Once again, DON'T BUY BOOKS.

Can't say that enough.[/quote]

To build on that a bit, if you absolutely have to, buy them used. Better yet, buy an old edition. The new book business is a huge scam and you can normally find an edition from two years back for under 5 bucks on amazon/ebay.

-Don't be afraid to change your major. I learned the hard way and tried to stick it out in a department I hated. Ended up with a bunch of credits and bad grades that I have been digging my way out of.

-If tuition and scheduling is an issue, take classes at the local community college while you are at a university. This is my biggest regret, as CC is a fantastic transitioning tool. Freshmen get fucked for schedule priority and I had horrible time frames for classes. At a CC campus I can get everything lined up nicely.

-If you are pretty sure dorms aren't for you, or if you find out after a semester, try and move about 10-15 minutes from school. It will help with traffic, and is generally cheaper the further away you are. Not to mention you learn to pay bills and whatnot on your own.

-Take gen-ed stuff first. This goes with the major issue. Mix in a few specific things, but try and take mostly classes that will work regardless of where you go and what you study. Some advisers will screw you, and I remember taking comp 1 with a couple angry seniors.

-Try an online class or two. It's a good way to teach yourself how to get things done on your own. Also, it's a great way to squeeze in an extra few credits that may otherwise be impossible with work/class schedules.

-Find a job away from campus. Better pay, less having to deal with the jackasses you party with. Win win.

I'm sure there are so many more, but that's all I can think of without a huge rant on things. Oh! www.ratemyprofessors.com is your friend. Take some of it with a grain of salt, but it will save you lots of trouble.

[quote name='Magus8472']I don't know why people do this. If you take everything between eight and noon you'll be able to do so much more every day it's not even funny, and it's not like it stops you from staying awake until two if you must.

That's my experience anyway, maybe I'm just weird.[/QUOTE]
Fudge that, you do get to do more in the day, but you don't get to sleep in which is way more important.

[quote name='Surferflames']
I'm sure there are so many more, but that's all I can think of without a huge rant on things. Oh! www.ratemyprofessors.com is your friend. Take some of it with a grain of salt, but it will save you lots of trouble.[/quote]

Yes I forgot to mention that, ratemyprofessor.com can be your savior.

[quote name='Surferflames']
-Take gen-ed stuff first. This goes with the major issue. Mix in a few specific things, but try and take mostly classes that will work regardless of where you go and what you study. Some advisers will screw you, and I remember taking comp 1 with a couple angry seniors.[/QUOTE]

Just remember to save a few general ed classes until the end. Nothing's worse than being in a technical major and having all of your hardest classes hit at the same time. It was also pretty sweet that when I was busy with all of my graduate and fellowship applications my senior class I only had one required class left for my major, one I was taking because I was bored out of my mind, and two humanities just to fill up those requirements. Made it a lot easier to budget time for applications pertinent to my career which are much more important in the long run than one or two classes that are really freaking hard but you hardly learn anything in.

Also, buying books depends on your major. I know a few of my friends in engineering with me sold off their books after each class and then got hosed because so much of our material built off of previous classes. If I didn't remember a concept I had a textbook with all of my post-it notes and flags hanging out the sides, so I had no problem getting back what I lost over summers/breaks. The rest of them wound up borrowing my books and still not relearning it.

bread's done
Back