any U2 fans around here??

sublime90

CAGiversary!
wanted to talk about this. ive become a really big U2 fan from about 10 years ago. my fav U2 albums are Joshua Tree, Achtung baby and All That You Cant Leave Behind. the main reason for this post is because Achtung Baby is nearing its 20th anniversary.

last year i read the book U2:at the end of the world and its a great behind the scenes look at the entire Zoo TV tour along with the making of the Zooropa cd.

In 2007 U2 released the Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary box set
picture.php
it was $50 or so and it came with a remastered cd, b side cd, a live dvd and a book. a great value for a great album.

now on to the matter at hand. i was very excited to see Achtung getting the 20th ann. treatment until i saw the prices!
of course you can buy the remastered edition for standard price but thats not fun. we want a deluxe edition right?
picture.php
wow look at that 6cds, 4 dvds and a 92 page book damn that a lot for only......what? $150 ok thats a little steep but look at what you're getting.

thats not enough right? try the Uber deluxe edition
picture.php
WOW more shit than i want to list including the Fly sunglasses! how much is this? prepare to have you're ass blown out........amazon has it listed at "drum roll please" $660!!!! are you fucking kidding me? this is a little bit outrageous and has me wondering how many people in the world will actually buy this crazy ass edition. im a big U2 fan and i wont even consider buying that edition, hell the $150 edition seems to much to me. who's to blame here? the record company or the band? in my opinion this is crossing the line of good taste.

Nice set...if we were talking about The Beatles. Who I can't stand, but will at least admit are among the very few bands that could have a set this complex without looking like pretentious snobs.

I'm more partial to War because I find that it's a more authentic(raw) sound, but I find that I like more songs from Joshua Tree for its ecclectic-ness.

I don't know who's to blame. The record company I would guess. They should have more SKU's. Pearl Jam's recent rereleases are a good example. Love me some U2 until the mid 90's. Those boys made some fantastic music for a long time. Cool live show too.

[quote name='Demolition Man']People still give a fuck about U2?[/QUOTE]

People still give a fuck about wrestling? Thanks for being a douche.

Anyway, I had marked the big one down on my amazon wait list and near shit myself when I saw the price.

fuck that!

Seriously, I love the band, but not for that much money. And not for a re-release...even with all the specials in the bundle.

Also, here's my pictures from when I saw them in Atlanta back in '09.

[quote name='lokizz']i was a fan until bono got all preachy.[/QUOTE]

This.

U2 in the 80s was a damn good band with some fine albums (Unforgettable Fire, War, Boy, Joshua Tree). Its just too bad the newer U2 is absolutely boring as hell and their concert tickets are way over priced. Yet people blindly keep buying into it because "omg its U2." Oh and $660 for some uber deluxe box set with Bono's douche-baggy sunglasses doesn't help the cause either. That suddenly makes the upcoming Pink Floyd Immersion box sets at $120ish with its marbles and scarf look borderline sane in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Black Sabbath set with the first 8 albums is about the best deal in box sets ever. Nothing special or fancy, but damn good nonetheless.

I like them a lot, and love Achtung Baby, but I don't have much interest in the re-issue.

I don't care about Bono being preachy. I listen to bands for the music and do pay much attention to what their members say about politics etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I like them a lot, and love Achtung Baby, but I don't have much interest in the re-issue.

I don't care about Bono being preachy. I listen to bands for the music and do pay much attention to what their members say about politics etc.[/QUOTE]
Even when theire music is political?;)

Total cash grab. The only people they will be ripping off are their biggest fans. Way to go assholes. U2 has some great songs but Zooropa is when the wheels came off - 20 freaking years ago. Lemon? Are you kidding me? It doesn't help that Bono is the douchiest douche who ever douched. I bet he drives an SUV.

[quote name='dohdough']Even when theire music is political?;)[/QUOTE]

Depends....I don't pay a ton of attention to lyrics these days as I mainly listen to music in the background when doing other things.

That said, most of the bands I listen to that have members who are very vocal about politics (Pearl Jam, U2, Dave Matthews etc.) don't have all that many political songs anyway. And I tend to agree with their politics most of the time anyway so it doesn't bother me! :D

[quote name='Javery']Total cash grab. The only people they will be ripping off are their biggest fans. Way to go assholes. U2 has some great songs but Zooropa is when the wheels came off - 20 freaking years ago. Lemon? Are you kidding me? It doesn't help that Bono is the douchiest douche who ever douched. I bet he drives an SUV.[/QUOTE]

yeah but he buys plenty of carbon offsets lmao.

haha i applied for an internship at a venture capital firm called elevation partners.

dun dun dun. EL LUH VA TION

and one of the MD happens to be BONO! and the rest of the investment team are ivy league grads with MBAs and Phds in Econ or finance lol

and i get no reply back lol... sigh

http://www.elevation.com/EP_IT_FLASH.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='giantqtipz']haha i applied for an internship at a venture capital firm called elevation partners.

dun dun dun. EL LUH VA TION

and one of the MD happens to be BONO! and the rest of the investment team are ivy league grads with MDs and Phds in Econ or finance lol

and i get no reply back lol... sigh

http://www.elevation.com/EP_IT_FLASH.asp[/QUOTE]

This is hilarious to me. Did Bono even finish high school? I'd love to hear his thoughts on VC financings for start-ups.

[quote name='nasum']The Black Sabbath set with the first 8 albums is about the best deal in box sets ever. Nothing special or fancy, but damn good nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

There's been quite a few box sets over the years that have been pretty good to outstanding including:

- The Police: Message In A Box (all five albums + most of the B-sides)
- The Crosby, Stills, And Nash box
- The various Johnny Cash live boxes (ie: San Quintin, Folsom)
- Patti Smith Original Album Classics (five great albums for $30)
- The recent Genesis boxes covering all eras of the band. I badly want to get the Gabriel era box someday.
- echolyn's A Little Nonsense Now And Then which has their first three albums along with rarities and a few remakes.

There's a ton more but those are a few off the top of my head that I've liked.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Nice set...if we were talking about The Beatles. Who I can't stand, but will at least admit are among the very few bands that could have a set this complex without looking like pretentious snobs.[/QUOTE]

You can't stand the Beatles?

Yeah, I get shit for it all the time, but I'm definitely not a Beatles fan. I did like George Harrison, (While My Guitar Gently Weeps is so damn good). But I'm more partial to the unfairly dubbed "Beatles clones", like The Zombies. EDIT: Not the Monkees though. ;)

[quote name='Psykoboy2']People still give a fuck about wrestling? Thanks for being a douche.
[/QUOTE]

:applause: This. I love these dbags that post in threads they have no business posting in to begin with. You don't like U2? Then why are you clicking on the thread to begin with? Some people.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, I get shit for it all the time, but I'm definitely not a Beatles fan. I did like George Harrison, (While My Guitar Gently Weeps is so damn good). But I'm more partial to the unfairly dubbed "Beatles clones", like The Zombies. EDIT: Not the Monkees though. ;)[/QUOTE]

zombies are great. I feel ya on on the Monkees

[quote name='Setzer']I love these dbags that post in threads they have no business posting in to begin with.[/quote]

Yeah I guess I'm a "dbags" now because I posted my opinion.

You don't like U2? Then why are you clicking on the thread to begin with? Some people.

80s era U2 as I posted earlier was great. Modern U2 sucks. That's my opinion. Don't like it? Then put me on ignore. I really don't care.

[quote name='Demolition Man']
80s era U2 as I posted earlier was great. Modern U2 sucks. That's my opinion. Don't like it? Then put me on ignore. I really don't care.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's like Bono cares more about "the starving children in Africa" then about his own music, which gets him PAID by the way.

These days, I just want to nail Bono to the cross and ship HIM to Africa so he can starve like the rest of his pals......

[quote name='Setzer']Best live rendition of 'Where the Streets Have No Name" ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s[/QUOTE]

Also love u2. I at one point considered getting the red sunglasses he wore around the time they started announcing the red chairty for africa. The superbowl half time show with u2 with the 9/11 tribute to the fallen....amazing. I regret missing the 360 tour. I wanted to see them in soldier field. They just step it up every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0V1UtjPt4

[quote name='Wolfpacleader1986']Agreed. It's like Bono cares more about "the starving children in Africa" then about his own music, which gets him PAID by the way.

These days, I just want to nail Bono to the cross and ship HIM to Africa so he can starve like the rest of his pals......[/QUOTE]

but if everyone could donate just $1 for the starving people in africa. they dont even have clean drinking water. they dont even....no just playin, i dont mind if hes preachy i mean at the end of the day its for a good cause but i mind the fact hes preachy during the live shows. sorry they didnt pay mad money to hear you cry about africa for 5 mins, they paid to hear with or without you.

[quote name='sublime90']but if everyone could donate just $1 for the starving people in africa. they dont even have clean drinking water. they dont even....no just playin, i dont mind if hes preachy i mean at the end of the day its for a good cause but i mind the fact hes preachy during the live shows. sorry they didnt pay mad money to hear you cry about africa for 5 mins, they paid to hear with or without you.[/QUOTE]

To be fair when I saw them in Ottawa (and they had some political reasoning for not showing up until 2006 or 07) there was not too much political talk. If there was then I can't remember it much cause they were pumping out a whole lot of music that night. I do recall a speech where Bono went on to say that his dad would ask him "Why do you always wear those fuck glasses"

bread's done
Back