Any way to turn off the slim PS2?

[quote name='sqyxzylyx']Not pulling the plug but using the controller? I don't want my kids plugging the PS2 by themselves.[/QUOTE]

Is there any system you can power off via the controller? Pressing circle, square, triangle, X, L1, L2, R1 and R2 at the same time is usually a reset for most games though...

[quote name='smalien1']It is off. It's in standby mode.[/QUOTE]
Is it off or in standby mode? They're two different things....

[quote name='Eduardo X']Is it off or in standby mode? They're two different things....[/QUOTE]

Either off or standby. As long as it is not turned on.

[quote name='javeryh']Is there any system you can power off via the controller? Pressing circle, square, triangle, X, L1, L2, R1 and R2 at the same time is usually a reset for most games though...[/QUOTE]

Since there is no power off on the slim PS2, I'm guessing there is some other way.

If it's going to be played everyday, then leaving it in standby mode will be fine. If weeks go by and nobody plays it, it should probably be unplugged.

What exactly is reset when you unplug a PS2? The booklet says that settings will be reset, but I've never actually tried it to see what will happen. All I can imagine are the date/time, anything inconvenient that I haven't thought of?

The DVD remote has a power switch on it, but I'm not sure it works when in game mode. It might only power off the system when playing DVD video.

Capacitors in the system will store the settings for quite a long time, but eventually you will lose your date/time settings, screen ratio, dvd settings, etc. Nothing important.

I never really saw the need for the power switch on the PS2. It amazes me how many people actually used it. I still remember the topics here about the missing power switch when the PSTwo was released.

[quote name='Eduardo X']Is it off or in standby mode? They're two different things....[/QUOTE]

Not on the PS2. "Standby" is just as off as your TV or DVD player are when turned off.

[quote name='Nogib']Not on the PS2. "Standby" is just as off as your TV or DVD player are when turned off.[/QUOTE]
Yup, the only difference is that the ps2 has a little red light telling you its on standby.

It amazes me how many people complain about the PS2 not being able to be turned off. Every time I say, "you know, you just hold down the reset button for a few seconds and it turns off," they say, "wow, I didn't know you could do that!"

[quote name='polpo']It amazes me how many people complain about the PS2 not being able to be turned off. Every time I say, "you know, you just hold down the reset button for a few seconds and it turns off," they say, "wow, I didn't know you could do that!"[/QUOTE]
People don't know how to read their manual.

I plug my ps2 and xbox into a surge protector. I just flip the switch on the surge protector when I am through gaming. It does not affect my ps2 settings including the time and date. I just have to set the time and date on my xbox the next day.

bread's done
Back