Any word on if an DS update is coming?

Jarrett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I know the DS is flying off the shelf at store but so was the SP and they still updated the screen. I recently saw them side by side at Circuitcity and it was like night and day. I want a DS but for some reason I think they are going to update the screens eventually. Anyone even here rumors about this happening?

there has been alot of talk in forum... but nothing from Nintendo yet...

expect a redesigned DS @ E3 or before...

I'm hoping for brighter screen & a slicker design to be as sexy as PSP...

a firmware update would be nice... online chat & internet browsering...

If they do decide to update the screen to a brighter one I really hope they don't screw up like they did with the new SPs. It's great for games like Zelda but the Super Mario Bros. ghosting sucks. It needs a better refresh rate.

Man I hope they don't upgrade the DS anytime soon or do anything major outside of cosmetic changes. I just bought a DS. I don't want it to be outdated right after I got it.

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']Same here.[/QUOTE]
Ha. The NPD numbers for last month show 380k DS units sold. So a lot of people are hoping there's no remake.

Might as well note here that the PSP sold only 360k units... and the GBA sold 900k. :shock: Good to know I bought two out of those 1.28 million Nintendo handhelds.

And personally, I don't really have any issue with the DS lighting. I've used it in indirect daylight and total darkness and have had no problem seeing anything on the screen. The backlit SP is nice, but I'm pretty sure I'll be using my DS much more. If they remodel is, fine, but I probably won't be getting one unless there's a really good trade-in deal, or I feel like giving my current one to my fiancee.

This happened when I got a gameboy. The screen was black and white but the plastic was black instead of gray.

Then like 2 weeks later (or not long later - don't remember exactly) they released Gameboy color. That was so annoying. I wasn't on the internet much back then so I don't know if there were rumors of gameboy color coming out when I purchased my gameboy. It would be nice if Nintendo could give at least 6 months advanced warning so we know what's up. of course, that would hurt sales of the current handheld but avoid pissing off the fan base.

With consoles, everyone knows a year or 2 in advance when the next generation is coming out.

I doubt we will see an update any time soon.

Wait here it is!!!

dsrevblog1eh.jpg

[quote name='botticus']Might as well note here that the PSP sold only 360k units... and the GBA sold 900k. :shock: Good to know I bought two out of those 1.28 million Nintendo handhelds.[/QUOTE]

We were responsible for 5 of those.

[quote name='jkam']If they do decide to update the screen to a brighter one I really hope they don't screw up like they did with the new SPs. It's great for games like Zelda but the Super Mario Bros. ghosting sucks. It needs a better refresh rate.[/QUOTE]

Hrm... sure yours isn't defective? I played all the way through Mario 3 and Mario 1 on mine with no issues at all.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']Amazing Design! I Love It![/QUOTE]

Well the power button being on the outside wouldnt work to well to be honest..

Also the backside of the system where the buttons are at would have to be concave to fit a track I assume in order to allow the slide portion of this design to work...

Grabbing that when the system is in its working postion might not be to comfortable..

[quote name='Snake2715']I doubt we will see an update any time soon.

Wait here it is!!!

dsrevblog1eh.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That would have to be pretty thick I'd think to have it fold in like that. Plus with all the moveable parts, there are too many ways for it to break. It's neat idea but I doubt how well it would work.

[quote name='Swingman']That would have to be pretty thick I'd think to have it fold in like that. Plus with all the moveable parts, there are too many ways for it to break. It's neat idea but I doubt how well it would work.[/QUOTE]

Me too, doesn't seem like it work that well for a couple reasons.

That's a cool concept and I'd like N intendo to at least do a design in line with the Revolution - something that looks hi tech and screams "look at me!!! I'm wicked hip!!!" ... or something...

[quote name='Snake2715']I doubt we will see an update any time soon.

Wait here it is!!!

dsrevblog1eh.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with the other posters. Nice design, but it's not very practical. Probably way to thick, and the power button is in the open. Way to easy to turn it on if it is in a bag.

Yes, I know, it is a concept design. I'm just saying that it probably won't look something like this.

[quote name='Swingman']Man I hope they don't upgrade the DS anytime soon or do anything major outside of cosmetic changes. I just bought a DS. I don't want it to be outdated right after I got it.[/QUOTE]

that is why you buy them from best buy with the 2 year replacement plan... right before the 2 years is up.. take system back and pick up a new system .... dude working in the game department told me this years ago and never had a problem getting replacement system... though all of them had problems when i returned them

xbox burned

gamecube (disc error)

and the most stupidest thing best buy can do

my ps2 controller wasnt working so they replaced the entire system

[quote name='daroga']Hrm... sure yours isn't defective? I played all the way through Mario 3 and Mario 1 on mine with no issues at all.[/QUOTE]

It's not that its unplayable but if you take an old SP and and a new one you notice that say Super Mario Bros. 1 shows some ghosting while running on the newer SP. It was mentioned in this original thread by multiple users:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67461&page=1&pp=20&highlight=brighter+screen

They also mentioned it on IGN when they reviewed the newer SP units. The screens look great and its only noticeable if your'e really looking for it....but sometimes when you see things like this for yourself it annoys you.

[quote name='slidecage']that is why you buy them from best buy with the 2 year replacement plan... right before the 2 years is up.. take system back and pick up a new system .... dude working in the game department told me this years ago and never had a problem getting replacement system... though all of them had problems when i returned them

xbox burned

gamecube (disc error)

and the most stupidest thing best buy can do

my ps2 controller wasnt working so they replaced the entire system[/QUOTE]

getting it for christmas and santa took advantage of the $100 price misprint at Target. I actually just used the 2 year replacement plan for my xbox. I really hope they get a new bundle because I don't want Forza Motorsport.

[quote name='Swingman']This happened when I got a gameboy. The screen was black and white but the plastic was black instead of gray.

Then like 2 weeks later (or not long later - don't remember exactly) they released Gameboy color. That was so annoying. I wasn't on the internet much back then so I don't know if there were rumors of gameboy color coming out when I purchased my gameboy. It would be nice if Nintendo could give at least 6 months advanced warning so we know what's up. of course, that would hurt sales of the current handheld but avoid pissing off the fan base.

With consoles, everyone knows a year or 2 in advance when the next generation is coming out.[/QUOTE]

Actually, at the time the Game Boy Color was announced, I was writing for a Game Boy web site. They announced it quite a bit in advance...like a year. Same with the Game Boy Advance. Because of E3 and other big video game shows, new hardware (and top billed software) gets hyped way ahead of when it actually comes out, sometimes years in advance (case in point, the Revolution). It's not like an iPod, where it's announced within days (hours) of actual availability and last year's (month's?) model is immediately discontinued. The fact that Nintendo continued to support the monochrome Game Boy even after the GBC is also significant.

It's not Nintendo's fault you weren't following the industry news back then.

The new SP's screen has a poor refresh rate. I decided to return mine and when the DS was 100 at target, I bit. Its not as bright by a lot, but its a much better screen in terms of refresh rate and resolution, and frankly, the new SP's screen is almost TOO bright IMO, at least on the max setting.

[quote name='Tybee']Actually, at the time the Game Boy Color was announced, I was writing for a Game Boy web site. They announced it quite a bit in advance...like a year. Same with the Game Boy Advance. Because of E3 and other big video game shows, new hardware (and top billed software) gets hyped way ahead of when it actually comes out, sometimes years in advance (case in point, the Revolution). It's not like an iPod, where it's announced within days (hours) of actual availability and last year's (month's?) model is immediately discontinued. The fact that Nintendo continued to support the monochrome Game Boy even after the GBC is also significant.

It's not Nintendo's fault you weren't following the industry news back then.[/QUOTE]

The commercials at the time were still showing the regular gameboy. Never saw a commercial about Gameboy Color at the time so obviously they didn't do a good job advertising in advance to the public. Not everybody attends E3 and as I said, consoles get a lot more attention prerelease, unlike handhelds.

[quote name='Swingman']The commercials at the time were still showing the regular gameboy. Never saw a commercial about Gameboy Color at the time so obviously they didn't do a good job advertising in advance to the public. Not everybody attends E3 and as I said, consoles get a lot more attention prerelease, unlike handhelds.[/QUOTE]

So if you have a new product coming out in six months, you should immediately start advertising it (creating demand when there is no supply), and immediately stop advertising what you have on shelves? What kind of sense does that make?

[quote name='Vegan']What does the Xtreme Backlit SP screen do to the battery life?[/QUOTE]
It's about 13 hours compared to the normal SP's 8.

[quote name='Tybee']So if you have a new product coming out in six months, you should immediately start advertising it (creating demand when there is no supply), and immediately stop advertising what you have on shelves? What kind of sense does that make?[/QUOTE]
I ask similar questions every time I see a 360 commerical come on TV.

[quote name='Tybee']So if you have a new product coming out in six months, you should immediately start advertising it (creating demand when there is no supply), and immediately stop advertising what you have on shelves? What kind of sense does that make?[/QUOTE]

Of course not, where did I say that? You see commercials though about stuff that isn't out yet. For example, movies often have previews. I believe xbox 360 had commercials prior to its release as well. It's good marketing to get people excited about a product, especially a product that is sold out from preorders.

I never said you don't stop advertising for it once it hits shelves. geez.

[quote name='Swingman']Of course not, where did I say that? You see commercials though about stuff that isn't out yet. For example, movies often have previews. I believe xbox 360 had commercials prior to its release as well. It's good marketing to get people excited about a product, especially a product that is sold out from preorders.

I never said you don't stop advertising for it once it hits shelves. geez.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be rude. Just pointing out that Nintendo, Apple, Microsoft, Sony -- really ANY manufacturer -- and the retailers that sell their products have an interest in clearing out inventory of older items before they start selling the new stuff. Thus, they're not going out of their way to make sure the person buying a Game Boy knows that the Game Boy Color is coming out in a couple weeks.

It's just like when DVD producers put out a bare bones edition and then follow it up with a "deluxe" edition a couple months later ("double dipping") Why sell one when you can ostensibly sell two? Sometimes (as in the case of the Lord of the Rings films) they tell you ahead of time and/or offer a rebate. Most times they don't. But that's business. Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to stay abreast of the news to keep from getting screwed, an edict on which this site was founded. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']Sorry. Wasn't trying to be rude. Just pointing out that Nintendo, Apple, Microsoft, Sony -- really ANY manufacturer -- and the retailers that sell their products have an interest in clearing out inventory of older items before they start selling the new stuff. Thus, they're not going out of their way to make sure the person buying a Game Boy knows that the Game Boy Color is coming out in a couple weeks.

It's just like when DVD producers put out a bare bones edition and then follow it up with a "deluxe" edition a couple months later ("double dipping") Why sell one when you can ostensibly sell two? Sometimes (as in the case of the Lord of the Rings films) they tell you ahead of time and/or offer a rebate. Most times they don't. But that's business. Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to stay abreast of the news to keep from getting screwed, an edict on which this site was founded. ;)[/QUOTE]

No problem. I just don't agree with any of those tactices. I think they're unethical but these days you have to be smarter than the people trying to play you for fools.

bread's done
Back