Anybody doing any camping around Auburn, AL?

[quote name='icyjones']I'm here in Auburn, and while our football team sucks, I hope I can offset that by getting a PS3 this friday at Wal-Mart. Anybody else around here trying?[/QUOTE]

I'm considering getting one from Best Buy with their no interest deal (only to resell and pay it off), but the Montgomery BB will likely be swamped. Being that Auburn is a college town, I figured chances were slim.. I've got half of Friday off though, I'd like to acquire one to make Xmas money.

And no.. the football team doesn't suck. Was it been mismanaged in a couple of ways last weekend.. yes. Jesus christ man, you can't say that on Iron Bowl weekend.

Munch may be in Auburn Friday, I don't know if he's jonesing for a PS3 that bad though. Argyle probably got one through Rhino credit for all I know.

Just talked with the Rhino up in Madison (where I used to work), and they're not getting PS3s till after Thanksgiving. I assume this also applies to the Opelika store (where I ALSO used to work), so don't bet on Rhino if you're looking to score a launch-day PS3.

But really, it's all about the Wii, so who cares? :)

[quote name='hxhawkeye']Just talked with the Rhino up in Madison (where I used to work), and they're not getting PS3s till after Thanksgiving. I assume this also applies to the Opelika store (where I ALSO used to work), so don't bet on Rhino if you're looking to score a launch-day PS3.

But really, it's all about the Wii, so who cares? :)[/QUOTE]

If I remember right, Rhino either uses some weird distributor or is considered so low on the food chain, so they never get anything immediately. I think their 360 allocations at launch were abysmal. I'd preorder one through them, but I doubt it'd be a sure bet before Xmas.

[quote name='icyjones']I'm here in Auburn, and while our football team sucks, I hope I can offset that by getting a PS3 this friday at Wal-Mart. Anybody else around here trying?[/quote]
Wanna swing on down to Dothan or meet halfway like somewhere in Eufala? I am planning on getting in on the midnight launch. I wouldn't think in a small town the demand would be as great as it would be say in Montgomery or Birmingham. Would like to have a fellow CAG to kill some time with. Shoot me a note if you are interested.

i know they don't suck, it's just depressing to vicariously lose to ky.

well, i'm gonna head to wal-mart tonight. if i don't get a chair there, i might be up for a meeting to go to a smaller town. i'll keep this thread updated.

[quote name='icyjones']i know they don't suck, it's just depressing to vicariously lose to ky.

well, i'm gonna head to wal-mart tonight. if i don't get a chair there, i might be up for a meeting to go to a smaller town. i'll keep this thread updated.[/quote]

Well Eufala is going to get some units. They are being tight lipped on a number though. If I don't get a chair at Wal-Mart myself I am heading CC, then Sam's, then Wal-Mart Eufala. I called and they open at 6am.

the wal-mart in eufala opens at 6? if thats so, and i don't get one here in auburn, i'd definitely be up for a trip to there.

[quote name='icyjones']the wal-mart in eufala opens at 6? if thats so, and i don't get one here in auburn, i'd definitely be up for a trip to there.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the podunk Wal-Marts are a best bet for a launch unit. I'd think Ozark and Dothan are very strong prospects, or any of the other podunk towns around here. Tallassee may also be a worthy contender. Stay away from Prattville, it probably won't even be worth the effort. Clanton is iffy, but I'd think Calera and above that on I-65 would be a target for people coming from Birmingham at their Wal-Marts.

I've been using http://www.ps3seeker.com/ to get some rough info.. may be helpful in making some Nav points in a plan of attack if camping doesn't work for you.

[quote name='Skylander7']I agree, the podunk Wal-Marts are a best bet for a launch unit. I'd think Ozark and Dothan are very strong prospects, or any of the other podunk towns around here. Tallassee may also be a worthy contender. Stay away from Prattville, it probably won't even be worth the effort. Clanton is iffy, but I'd think Calera and above that on I-65 would be a target for people coming from Birmingham at their Wal-Marts.

I've been using http://www.ps3seeker.com/ to get some rough info.. may be helpful in making some Nav points in a plan of attack if camping doesn't work for you.[/quote]
I am getting a sinking feeling that even Dothan and Ozark may be tough to get one at Wal-Mart. I went at 6 in the morning in Dothan to pre-order at TRU and I would have been 15th in line. I am checking tomorrow at lunch. If there is anyone in line I am pulling an executive decision and taking the rest of the day off. 2 supercenters here. The one on 231 is getting 10 systems, the other is being tight lipped but I would expect the same. Sears told me they weren't getting any until Christmas, CC is getting 10, K-mart didn't know (which is BS) and Movie Gallery stores here are only getting 3 at 1 location. I called Sam's also and they didn't have the inventory count yet.

Eufala is going to be my last bet cause its an hour away. If I can get a place in line at either Wal-Mart here or CC I am going to pass on driving an hour to maybe get one. The buzz on this system is so hot right now I don't think it matters whether you are in the boonies or not. One thing I know it looks like it is going to be every man for themselves....

For some of you Auburn people, I would recommend coming to Valley. It's about 15 mins up I85 north. Pretty small town. The only place it would be available would be Walmart.

well, the auburn wal-mart is a bust. the let people line up eary, and there are already filled.

they also had a sign posted saying that they weren't getting the 15 they thought, but only like 6. and they will give out rainchecks.

speaking of rain, the line got moved from layaway to outside. sucky. i'm going to call opelika wal-mart and then maybe try calling valley, thanks for the tip.

[quote name='icyjones']well, the auburn wal-mart is a bust. the let people line up eary, and there are already filled.

they also had a sign posted saying that they weren't getting the 15 they thought, but only like 6. and they will give out rainchecks.

speaking of rain, the line got moved from layaway to outside. sucky. i'm going to call opelika wal-mart and then maybe try calling valley, thanks for the tip.[/quote]

Icy - I am going to hit my local Wal-Marts around lunch. If they are a bust I will call Eufala Wal-Mart if no one has lined up you wanna head there for an all nighter? Let me know.

People were camping at Best Buy starting yesterday. What the fuck.. I mean, we hit the national news for the bad weather. Fun Zone was eradicated, along with the apartment complex across the street.. Atlanta Hwy and parts of Bell/Taylor Rd are still closed from it. Yet 8 douche bags set up tents and a circle of lawn chairs... I asked somebody at the store, and they said they weren't following the 24 hour limit unless the owner of the building said something.

[quote name='Skylander7']People were camping at Best Buy starting yesterday. What the fuck.. I mean, we hit the national news for the bad weather. Fun Zone was eradicated, along with the apartment complex across the street.. Atlanta Hwy and parts of Bell/Taylor Rd are still closed from it. Yet 8 douche bags set up tents and a circle of lawn chairs... I asked somebody at the store, and they said they weren't following the 24 hour limit unless the owner of the building said something.[/quote]

They showed Kenny Irons camping at BB in Opelika. They didn't bother to ask him where he got that $600. :roll:

4th in line @ Eufala Wal-Mart. Posting live from the line. Been here since 2 pm.... It's now 1 am. Store opens in 5 hours. I am garaunteed a 60 gig system. Looks like camping out worked for me....

[quote name='FrOsT-E']They showed Kenny Irons camping at BB in Opelika. They didn't bother to ask him where he got that $600. :roll:[/QUOTE]

No shit??!!! Damned it, he's talked alot of shit this season... and he better be more worried about that game this weekend and nursing that turf toe than playing the shitstation 3.

I knew a guy who was camping at BB here in town, and some friends and I showed up to just hang out and watch the chaos ensue for a little while as a TV crew was reporting. I walked up and asked if this was the line for the Atari 2600 presales.

The reporter shut off the camera and started calling all the campers crazy, saying that there was no way she'd do anything like this.

At around 11, people started driving by and fucking with the campers. Airhorns, kids driving by screaming shit, etc. So.. being one who loves anarchy... I instigated it. One of the people I knew slung a cup of coffee at the SUV that was driving by with the airhorns, and hit them square in the side while their window was rolled down. The entire line applauded, except the guy who owned the coffee... who started yelling and cussing because it was his cup of coffee. I mean come on.. it was a cup for the cause, right?

So I leave, and hit Bruno's on Perry Hill. I purchase a few dozen eggs, and some clearance fish filets to be flung.

As I was leaving for the night, it was turning into PS3 Survivor. Some army guy was making people line up, and they were formulating strategies for line cutters (forming a human wall or something). Some Little John looking guy pulled up with PS3's in Wal Mart bags trying to sell them on the spot.

It was funny.. I took my digital cam, but the damned batteries died! From what I gathered, I'd say 75% of the campers were there for profit. Best Buy gave them tickets with numbers before they closed, and made them sign a list. By the way... they broke the 24 hour rule, as they started camping Wed.

I'm a fellow Auburn CAG, just wondering if anyone got a PS3. Evidently not.

I saw people lining up outside of Target in the rain on Wednesday.

[quote name='bearcatjosh']I'm a fellow Auburn CAG, just wondering if anyone got a PS3. Evidently not.

I saw people lining up outside of Target in the rain on Wednesday.[/quote]

Got my system at 6:15 this morning from Wal-Mart Eufala. 16 hours outside the whole time. The store is so small they didn't have anywhere to put us. They got 4 60 GB and 2 20 GB, then they gave out rain checks (6).

The Wal-Mart staff was AWESOME. I have never seen such a well put together launch. When we got to Wal-Mart a 2pm on Thursday we went straight to the game dept. Manager walked up and told us to line up out front. We were in for the long haul. The asst manager originally said they were giving out ALL rain checks, but got the truck in at 4 o'clock and let us know that 6 systems were in and would be given out at 6am.

The manager came out around 8 pm and gave us all plastic numbers (1-10). They even provided chairs for those that didn't have them. The biggest thing were the gawkers in podunk Eufala not believing we were going to sleep outside all night for a video game. We had one toothless bastard ask us if we were waiting for that new "Xbox".

Thing about it was all the people in line (10) only 2 systems were being kept for people to play (myself included in keeping it). It amazes me how somebody thinks about subsidizing living off waiting in line for 16 hours. Two guys down from me were looking forward to "taking a month off" from "getting his cash on" as he told many passing customers whom he knew. Anyway I walked away with a 60 GB system and Resistance, looking forward to "getting my game on" (in memory of Vince in Eufala who went home with a rain check HELL YEAH!!!!!).

bread's done
Back