Anybody else try Xbox Arcade yet?

mick16

CAGiversary!
I just received my copy in the mail today from Microsoft. The games downloaded fine and the demos on some of the games are almost full versions of the games with the exceptions of the ability to post high scores.

I didn't buy any of the games (looked like they were all $9.99 to $14.99) Hopefully they'll be adding some more games, because the current collection is really sparse.

Here's the link in case anybody is interested (although I'm sure they'll be giving away copies with games in the future) It's $4.99 for shipping but does include a full version of Ms. Pac-Man.

www.xbox.com/en-US/livearcade/fulfillment.htm

I got it and think it is great, except for the price point. I got the Solitaire game, because of all the different versions on there. Could be really cool

It's a cool idea, but really, the prices are way to high. They should be charging maybe $5 per game, and $5 for the Arcade disc. I'll check it out someday, when I can get the disc for free, I'm sure.

[quote name='rayzor6']I got it and think it is great, except for the price point. I got the Solitaire game, because of all the different versions on there. Could be really cool[/quote]

Ign said that the solitaire game seems to be the only one worth it. How many versions of Solitaire does it have & how much memory does the download take ?

I my self am sure that MS will eventually include the disk in their new games or offer them in retail outlets. So that's why I'm not going to spend my $5 on the install disk.

Anyone know if they are going through with Monopoly for XBL Arcade? That's probably the only one I would actually pay for.

Screw that, I wouldn't pay more than $2 for any of them. They should just slap a $19.99 sticker on it and ship it off to retail and have all the games on it and whatnot.. $10 and $15 per game.. screw that

Hmmm, I thought they were supposed to eventually distribute the discs to Best Buy and other retail places. I don't want to pay $5 for the disc.....

Although, Ms. Pacman is a nice bonus.

[quote name='Ledhed']Anyone know if they are going through with Monopoly for XBL Arcade? That's probably the only one I would actually pay for.[/quote]

Whoa. I haven't even heard of that, but it sounds like it would be pretty damn fun.

I got mine last week. I played ms. pacman for a little bit. I also downloaded the demo for bejweled but there was no way I was paying $10 for the full version. If I would have known how expensive the full versions of games are (I was expecting them to be about $5 each) I probably wouldn't have ordered the disc but oh well.

Article I read on IGN said MS is planning to distribute it with upcoming games (didn't specify any in particular) and the Live Kits, but didn't mention any plans to distribute it at a retailer, IIRC.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though, that would make a lot of sense to me. They could do something like free Xbox Arcade disc with any Xbox game purchase at store X.

Got it for free and tried out Ms PacMan. Pretty cool idea but the price is way to much for these games since some could be had for free. Hopefully they might release some interesting games to purchase but so far the selection is nothing spectacular.

I also thought that it would be a installed service on the Xbox and you did not have to put the disc in everytime. Which I thought was a cool idea.

[quote name='flybrione']Got it for free and tried out Ms PacMan. Pretty cool idea but the price is way to much for these games since some could be had for free. Hopefully they might release some interesting games to purchase but so far the selection is nothing spectacular.

I also thought that it would be a installed service on the Xbox and you did not have to put the disc in everytime. Which I thought was a cool idea.[/quote]

wow we have o use the disc evrytime? wow that sux. and the prices have been on xbox.com for a while now

I imagine quite a few Xbox Live users received the disc free with a "Power Up" supplement a few weeks ago. (That's how I got mine.) Initial reports of the service (long before it started) made mention of retail availability, but I guess that strategy changed at some point. I wish they made Arcade a simple install, too (so we wouldn't need to put the disc in every time we wanted to play), but that's life, I guess. I downloaded a few demos of Bejeweled and Namco classics (like Pole Position, Dig Dug, and Galaga (with a time limit, unfortunately)).

There were also a few decent deals in the supplement, including a notice on page 61 offering me a rebate (up to $9.99) on a game downloaded "on or between 11/03/2004 - 12/31/2004." Unfortunately, this deal seems to exclude anyone who received their Arcade CD in a way other than through the "Power Up" magazine. I just wish there were more of those Capcom and Midway "arcade favorites" promised by next year available now so I could make better use of the rebate. Any other suggestions for download? The good stuff's probably coming online in the new year.

What may be of some use to other CAGers is a coupon for a $10 rebate on Counter-Strike or a 12-month Starter Kit (acquired on or between 11/18/2004 - 2/28/2005) on page 63. I won't have any use for it, so if someone's got a DOA 3 booster disc on them they'd be willing to trade, I'd certainly be willing to send that page out. Proof of purchase (the original barcode from the package) and dated sales receipt needed, so I'm guessing a copy acquired from the retail site won't cut it. Here's a link to my original booster disc thread.

That's my spiel.

bread's done
Back