Anybody have any experience with these headphones?

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser EH-150 Evolution Hi-Fi Stereo Headphones. The sound is fantastic, but the phones themselves are very uncomfortable. I wanted to stick with Sennheiser, but the higher models are expensive, and they seem to be more for stereo/amp use rather than portable MP3 player. So I thought I'd look elsewhere.

I stumbled upon these, but I'm afraid there will be a noticable drop in quality since my previous experience is with Sennheiser. I mean, they look like decent headphones, but I'm afraid that they might be too much like Skullcandy: all style and no substance.

Just thought I'd check CAG for any info. I'm having a hard time finding customer reviews...

Some specs for any CAG audophiles to look at. I don't know what they mean:

Driver Unit: 40mm
Impedance: 32 ohms
Sensitivity: 108dB+/-3dB
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 20 KHz
Cord Length: 1.2M
Plug: 3.5 mm

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a beaten up pair of mdr-v700's which i have been using for the past 5-6years. They are comfy and withstand being tossed in a bag everyday. They aren't noise canceling which is unfortunate.
I haven't personally used that many sets of higher quality headphones, so I am unable to comment on its audio quality compared to similar models. I know 5 years ago I was shocked at the difference of sound that they put out compared to what I was using...since then I haven't looked back nor had to go shopping for a new pair. Its ~90$ but im sure u can find it cheaper...even more so if you can get an open box from BB or any retailer that carries them.

Those iFrog ones look pretty decent on paper. Nice frequency response and sensitivity for being around the $30 area. They also look comfy from the pictures shown.

In comparison here's a pair of Sennheisers that Newegg.com has that is around the same price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106455

A little lower on the specs overall compared to the iFrog. However the Sennhesier cans don't have that cartooney look to them so that kinda makes up a little bit.

since you're talking about using them in public (mp3 player) style is important.. just as, if not more important than sound quality.. go with what you think looks best. use something else, something uglier for critical listening.

I have those same headphones that Demoman and vihit linked. Definitely comfortable, and they sound fine to me, but I'm not an audiophile.

I had come across the HD-201s during my search, and I had considered them, but I've heard that they break too easily, (cracks in the headband from normal use). That's what happened to my original Skullcandy set, (which I suppose was a good thing in the end, because when I got my new pair I realized that Skullcandy's sound is awful).

I totally forgot I had the Sennhesier HD-202.

31Ai3O2jEUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The 202 are 'closed/sealed' almost-circumaural earcup design. That means while they fit on your ears they groove a bit towards the back. To my ears (and head) they do get a bit uncomfy after even five minutes. Then again I'm not used to wearing this style of headphones but others might like the feel of these better. The sound quality is really good. Nice highs, nice lows.... I never really noticed the backround noise on the 1994 remaster of the Yes album "Tales Of Topographic Oceans" until now on these.

The 201 in comparison fit on the ears completely unlike the 202. I haven't had any experience with the 201s but from the reviews (and Rocko) they are supposed to be a good pair of headphones. Then again I have yet to see anything from Sennheiser that isn't at least a good pair. That includes the Sennhesiers I have for home listenening the HD570s.

41RW64H15QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The only bad thing about the HD570 is they aren't designed for outdoor/mp3 player use. They are REALLY comfy and the sound quality is phenominal. For home use with a PC/home theater/etc they sound excellent and really bring out the best in whatever you have playing.

[quote name='evanft']Ignore the specs. Seriously. Go to head-fi, state your budget, and get suggestions.[/quote]

Went ahead and posted a thread there. I've been bumped to page two already with no responses :headache:

[quote name='dafoomie']Takes a little while over there, but my first impression is to avoid. If you're in the $30 range, look at Koss Portapro's, have to spend $50-$60 to beat those.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH[/quote]

I actually checked those out already. I dunno, they just don't seem like they pack enough punch.

I can't believe how hard it is to find a good pair of affordable headphones that aren't ugly as hell. Personally, I thought the ThrowBax looked cool as fuck; I love the retro style. Unfortunately when it comes to headphones, the cooler they look, the shittier they sound, in most cases.

The only bad thing I've heard so far about the ThrowBax is that they play too quietly, but I don't know. I want to love them, but there's something about them I just don't trust...

You tried the Portapro's yourself? They should have a ton of bass.

I wouldn't recommend the ones you're looking at, stick to established brands that you can find decent information on from somewhere like head-fi.

I saw this same pair at Sears on clearance, so I'm wondering if they're worth $30.

Amazon has about 130 reviews for this pair.

I was just going to let this die, but since it's back, I'll update:

I took the Head-Fi advice and bought a pair of JVC RX700s. I though they were a little ugly at first, but I'm actually planning on getting some designs airbrushed onto them.

Thanks for all the help.

bread's done
Back