Anybody have experience with Best Buy's extended warranty program

jlarlee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
2.5 years ago I bought a 42 inch Plasma from BB for $800 and I got a 150 gift card back as well. It was a great deal at the time but because the tv was off brand I decided to do something unusual for me and actually used the gift card to buy the 3 year extended warranty.

Needless to say I'm glad I did because I'm having issues with the tv, Mainly spots that look like static that pop up sporadically all over the screen, especailly while watching SD content and on menus in Video games for some reason.

I actually started the process a year ago, but was unable to duplicate the problem, but now it is much worse so that won't be a problem.

Replacement won't be an alternative for them because they have long since ceased to carry the brand. Also I have researched it a bit and from what i gather they won't be able to fix it. What i really would like to do is to get my $650 refunded since I could buy a 42 inch LCD of superior quality now that prices have dropped on flat screens.

What are my chances of getting this to happen. Is it like pulling teeth trying to get them to honor the warranty

I assume 1 of 2 things could happen.

1. They refund your money (highly unlikely considering it was 2.5 years ago)

2. If they do not carry that off-brand TV anymore, then they might give you a comparable TV of equal or lesser value.

You never know until you go into their store and ask them. Bring any paperwork you might have about them honoring this stuff or they will more than likely shoot you down thinking you're trying to rip them off.

They will try to fix it first, even when plasmas are nearly impossible to fix. If and when they can't fix it they'll trade for a tv of equal value, but that might take a few weeks.

Here's how it will work:

You call customer service at 1-800-BEST BUY.

They send out a tech.

Tech says TV can't be repaired. Says to call 1-800-RAPE ME again to get your options.

Corporate customer service says you can return TV for a voucher for original purchase price.

You take TV to local Best Buy for "return".

Manager offers to give you "equivalent" TV as a replacement. Some random plasma, maybe 42", or anything that's under your original purchase price. Could be that cheap 37" in the corner.

You disagree.

Manager then quotes you the service plan wording as a replacement being at "THEIR discretion", not yours, and you have to take or leave whatever they offer.

You disagree and ask for a voucher for original purchase price.

Manager tells you to take your TV back and go home, they will try to service it again.

You call corporate customer service on your cellphone, wait 45 minutes while you are transferred to multiple people up the chain of command, then get a confirmation by a Customer Service VP that you can get a voucher to purchase a new TV. VP then tells you to wait while she calls manager of local store.

Manager goes in the back to take the call from Corporate.

Manager comes out 10 minutes later and tells you they agree to do you this favor and give you a voucher for your original purchase price. Then you pick out any TV you want and pay another $299 for a new service plan.

At least that's how it worked for me. YMMV.

Not a TV, but when my 360 RROD'ed with a Best Buy service plan, they pretty much gave me a new 360, no questions asked and I bought a new service plan in case this one also takes a shit.

Long post ahead, but maybe it will help.

I had a 60" Sony SXRD XBR1 that was notorious for problems with the optics block. When my optics block went bad the tech came out with a new one and the replacement was also defective. They took the tv to the shop and ordered another optics block (a $1500+ part). The second replacement was also bad. I was then asked which Best Buy I wanted to go to for my replacement tv. I was told the paperwork would be waiting at the customer service desk; it was. The XBR2 models were now in stores but Best Buy did not carry it in a 60" model, only a 50" and a 70". At first they wanted me to take a lesser Sony 60" but then told me I could apply the credit to any TV I wanted. They also told me that any unspent credit would be lost. My wife suggested we pay the difference and get the 70" TV so we applied the credit to that, paid the difference (they gave a huge discount from the asking price), and Best Buy delivered it the same day. We were in the store for a very long time, but everybody was extremely nice about it (I should add that this was in the Magnolia area) giving my family and I sodas and snacks.

The other post was correct that you will be asked to re-purchase a new warranty. If the TV had failed while still under the factory warranty they would have transferred your old extended warranty over. I bought a new warranty (also heavily discounted) and this weekend will have a new bulb installed using the warranty (old one is about 2.5 years old).

Total time from first repair attempt to new TV in my house was about 3 weeks due to ordering the second optics block.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a 5.1 surround sound system from Best Buy. I also purchased the 3 year warranty program. After 18 months of solid service from the system, the Front Left speaker died on me. I took the entire system, the receipt, and all the warranty information back to Best Buy.

The technician told me, the speaker was indeed not working, but per policy they would need to send the entire system to Dallas for repair. The tech would test the speaker, and if they were not able to fix this speaker, I would get a new speaker.

6 weeks and countless phone calls later, a Dallas Best Buy tech called me saying there was nothing wrong with the speaker, and I could pick the speaker up at the Wichita, KS Best Buy location and pay $75 for Best Buy's shipping.

I spoke to the manager, the district manager, and the VP of Customer Service. Nobody was willing to help me.

So in my opinion, steer clear of Best Buy for any electronics and go with a reputable store, like Amazon or New Egg.

That is just my 2 cents.

they will try to fix it jacking with you for the next 6 months about how it's fixed oh we'll send someone else, oh we need parts so you have to wait and then one day, soon it will be outside the 3 year warrenty period and they will so oh sorry its out of warrenty it doesn't matter that you started this 6 months ago it's out of warrenty now so you are SOL .... yes this did happen to me twice of course both times it was a computer but i know of others who have had this happen to them even if you start the fix process now if it isn't done by the time that warrenty runs out irreguardless of if you initiated it before the end of the contract you are SOL best buy warrentys are worthless!

[quote name='ZForce']Not a TV, but when my 360 RROD'ed with a Best Buy service plan, they pretty much gave me a new 360, no questions asked and I bought a new service plan in case this one also takes a shit.[/QUOTE]

This/\ I had the same thing but I had the good protection plan from about 2 years ago that just let me get a brand new one no questions asked. I'm guessing your plan would be the same. Now DO NOT get the new plans, they suck. They almost sold me on one then I returned it becuase with the new plans they let their geek squad try to fix it and then send it off and you get a refurb.

My parents bought a washing machine from Best buy a little less than a year ago, and six months ago it started to have problems. Over the course of six months, Geek Squad came out seven times to try to fix it. But it turns out that that was an oversight on their part, as their policy is that if they cant fix it after three attempts, they have to replace it. So after the seventh time, the service guy gave us a voucher to take to Best Buy and order a replacement. When my Dad took the voucher in, they didn't have our specific washing machine in stock, so they offered us the next model up for no extra charge. Also, since it was Black Friday and that washing machine was on sale for $440, and we had payed $1000 for our original one, they gave us a giftcard worth $560, the difference. So all in all, while it was a little bit of a hassle, we ended up with a better washing machine and a $560 giftcard for our troubles.

[quote name='bmulligan']Here's how it will work:

You call customer service at 1-800-BEST BUY.

They send out a tech.

Tech says TV can't be repaired. Says to call 1-800-RAPE ME again to get your options.

Corporate customer service says you can return TV for a voucher for original purchase price.

You take TV to local Best Buy for "return".

Manager offers to give you "equivalent" TV as a replacement. Some random plasma, maybe 42", or anything that's under your original purchase price. Could be that cheap 37" in the corner.

You disagree.

Manager then quotes you the service plan wording as a replacement being at "THEIR discretion", not yours, and you have to take or leave whatever they offer.

You disagree and ask for a voucher for original purchase price.

Manager tells you to take your TV back and go home, they will try to service it again.

You call corporate customer service on your cellphone, wait 45 minutes while you are transferred to multiple people up the chain of command, then get a confirmation by a Customer Service VP that you can get a voucher to purchase a new TV. VP then tells you to wait while she calls manager of local store.

Manager goes in the back to take the call from Corporate.

Manager comes out 10 minutes later and tells you they agree to do you this favor and give you a voucher for your original purchase price. Then you pick out any TV you want and pay another $299 for a new service plan.

At least that's how it worked for me. YMMV.[/QUOTE]
I usually never agree with BM but I strongly agree with this statement!

I have utilized the extended warranty on a desktop, laptop. and washing machine. Geek Squad was great everytime. For my computers, they even found things I didn't know was wrong and fixed that too. They even gave me new two batteries for my laptop for no charge.

I think YMMV, but most people I know have a had a good experience.

I bought the plan on a 40gb PS3 a few years back. I think this might have been prior the changes they made on the plan, but after a few months, I realized that the wireless in the PS3 was not working. I postponed taking it in because I am lazy, but then I saw the 80gb MGS4 PS2 backwards compatible model being released, and on top of that Wal-Mart was offering a $100 gift card with purchase of any PS3. So I took the PS3 to best buy, explained that my WiFi wasn't working. They wanted to test this before they would do anything but didn't have their own wifi signal available at the moment. They almost told me that a geek squad guy would take it home and test it, but then out of nowhere just gave up on that approach and just gave me a gift card for the full value.

I picked up the MGS4 PS3 for the same price and they matched the wal mart offer, so I ended up with
-40gb extra hard drive space
-Dual shock controller instead of six axis
-MGS4
-$100 Best Buy gift card
-Voucher for Pain
-A PS3 that was PS2 backward compatible
-A second, six-axis controller (best buy offer at the time)

Needless to say, I made out pretty well.

Am I the only one hearing both extremes with this? I know my brother has had good experience with his laptop warranty, but from what I can make out of all these stories is that its YMMV. You might want to check to see how much of a douche the manager of your store is before buying a warranty is what Im taking from this thread. I never buy em anyway, but its good to hear peoples feedback.

Technically, Bmulligan is right.

The wording of the extended warranties is for Best Buy to replace your original purchase with something of similar performance. Since TV's drop in price by roughly 10-15% per year, buying a new tv today that is on par performance and features wise with your $800 tv from a few years ago is likely going to mean a $600-ish tv. However, you should get getting something that has the same basic specs as far as screen size, resolution etc.

I've never had any big ticket items flat out replaced by BB, just a few PRP's on things like a 360 or router that are just no questions asked instant exchanges. I had one my Panasonic plasmas serviced for a failure in 3 boards in the thing. That experience was pretty pain free. They actually came out to do the initial inspection about 5 hours after I called the service techs and they had the parts out and installed 2 days later.

I had the same thing happen, albeit with a 22" tube television. A couple years later they really no longer carry tubes. They sent it out for service, I got the automated call from the store that my TV was back and ready for pick up, came in and the @#$%! had lost it (either somewhere in the warehouse OR had accidentally shipped it back out on a random palate!!!!!!!!!!). They tried to give me a deal on one of their store-brand flat panel LCDs, but I opted for the full value of my old TV to be applied to a really nice Toshiba 42" :) Went ahead and bought a new service/replacement plan too! Mwah ah ah!

I have one on my 30 gb iPod video. I took it in last week after it has been locking up when I try to synch it. They actually sent it out for repair which I thought was weird given how it'll probably cost more to fix it than the cost of the original purchase but oh well. The last service plan I had on an iPod they just gave me credit to spend in the store.

Does this not make sense to anyone else besides me? Why would you have to re-buy the warranty if you had to utilize it to get a repair/replacement? The warranty should cover a time period, not a single use. If I buy Apple Care for my laptop and the screen breaks and they fix it, but a year later (but still within warranty) the screen breaks again, they will fix it under warranty. You don't need to re-buy the insurance every time you get it fixed!

What kind of hokey rip-off scheme is that?

The T&C (terms & conditions) on BB's repair policies for TV's have changed since you purchased your TV. What's applicable now may not be what's on the T&C on the contract you purchased at the time of the TV.

I really, really hope you have the paper brochure that they would have stapled your receipt to, since if the T&C on that are better than what's currently available for how to handle it, that would be the overriding factor on what happens. If the service plan says that if they can't fix it, they'll give you the full purchase price towards a new TV, then that would be better than what they would do on the T&C for a current service plan contract.

Most likely, you'll have to go through the motions on getting it repaired before they do anything to replace it/refund your money. If they know up front that they can't fix it because of the brand of TV it is, it should accelerate the process of getting the replacement/repair.

Though again, whatever it says on the contract they gave you at the time of the purchase is what's binding on your repair, not whatever current policies are in effect.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Does this not make sense to anyone else besides me? Why would you have to re-buy the warranty if you had to utilize it to get a repair/replacement? The warranty should cover a time period, not a single use. If I buy Apple Care for my laptop and the screen breaks and they fix it, but a year later (but still within warranty) the screen breaks again, they will fix it under warranty. You don't need to re-buy the insurance every time you get it fixed!

What kind of hokey rip-off scheme is that?[/QUOTE]There's two types of service plans at BB, a PRP and PSP. The PRP, or product replacement plan, is for a single-use warranty on a low-cost piece of electronics. If the item fails in the PRP timeframe, you get full purchase price towards the cost of a new item. The PSP, or performance service plan, is an extended warranty plan that covers full repair or replacement for non-repair of an item in the warranty period.

Here's the BB.com page with the info on each:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...900050002&contentId=1043363604723&id=cat12098

I am honestly planning to buy a 3-4 year warranty for my next TV and break it myself if needed to get a new TV after 2-3 years. Now I am debating if I should even bother with a warranty at all.

[quote name='ZForce']Not a TV, but when my 360 RROD'ed with a Best Buy service plan, they pretty much gave me a new 360, no questions asked and I bought a new service plan in case this one also takes a shit.[/QUOTE]

That was my experience, as well, but this was awhile ago, and with a PS2. I bought mine I guess within a year or so of launch, when just about every console was eventually getting DREs. Mine obviously did, so I brought the system back, and they just gave me a new system right on the spot.

Towards the end of August, I purchased a 37" 1080p Insignia lcd hd tv and have had problems with it since. A 2 year warranty (geek squad) was included so I thought it was a good deal for $600 after tax but I was wrong. They've sent a tech out to fix the tv 3 times so far and about 4 times just to diagnose and check out what is wrong with it. I was told that the tv will only be replaced if they have fixed it 3-4 times in which if you still have problems with it, they'll give you credit to get a different one. It is time consuming, a hassle and bullshit that they do this to people. It's a long, waiting game going back and forth. The 1st tv had a dead pixel and now i've had alot of problems with this one. It's a sign and stay away from buying no good brands. If i'm lucky and get the credit i'll probably just spend some more money and get a Sony or a good brand like that instead to avoid the headaches. My recommendation is just to get extended warranty or buy a tv elsewhere.

[quote name='shrike4242']There's two types of service plans at BB, a PRP and PSP. The PRP, or product replacement plan, is for a single-use warranty on a low-cost piece of electronics. If the item fails in the PRP timeframe, you get full purchase price towards the cost of a new item. The PSP, or performance service plan, is an extended warranty plan that covers full repair or replacement for non-repair of an item in the warranty period.[/QUOTE]

But if you have to rebuy the warranty on a replaced TV that means you have got the PRP and not the PSP? What exactly is "low cost" about a TV?

Yea Shrike I kept my paperwork because I never truly believed the TV would last but I was willing to give it a shot. It is funny Maxent is such a rare brand that for a while I couldn't even program it into my universal remote. Eventually I found out that they share a code with another company.

Huh looking at the receipt, Because I paid with the gift card I got the service plan on a different receipt. That shows that it covers a $999.99 TV that was the original price of the TV. Will I need the receipt that shows the TV or will the warranty recipt and booklet be enough

i've had good luck with my warrenty plans with bb. I bought a cermaic white star wars psp from them, and about 7 months later it started giving me problems (would make a "pop" sound and shut down randomly). I bring it and the cable back in with my papers (threw the box out and dumped the crappy game it came with) they wern;t sure they had anymore of the whit ones instock, so i asked if i could have the god of war red one. the cashier was giving me crap about it since all i had was the system, battery, and chargin cables. i told her she could keep the game and movie and box, just trade system for system since they were both the same price. a manager stops by, checks everything out, scans the GoW box, bags and hands it to me and says have a great day while placing my white unite in a bag with a sticker. pissed of the cashier to boot :) and i did not have to buy a new service plan, they said my old one continues on, just transfered the psp's seriel # to a new reciept

[quote name='Shadows916']i've had good luck with my warrenty plans with bb. I bought a cermaic white star wars psp from them, and about 7 months later it started giving me problems (would make a "pop" sound and shut down randomly). I bring it and the cable back in with my papers (threw the box out and dumped the crappy game it came with) they wern;t sure they had anymore of the whit ones instock, so i asked if i could have the god of war red one. the cashier was giving me crap about it since all i had was the system, battery, and chargin cables. i told her she could keep the game and movie and box, just trade system for system since they were both the same price. a manager stops by, checks everything out, scans the GoW box, bags and hands it to me and says have a great day while placing my white unite in a bag with a sticker. pissed of the cashier to boot :) and i did not have to buy a new service plan, they said my old one continues on, just transfered the psp's seriel # to a new reciept[/QUOTE]

Obviously a game system warranty is much less hassle than a TV/appliance warranty. I was in a Game Crazy not too long ago and this guy was able to trade up with his old PSP that was broken and under warranty and get a PSP GO. Took a lot of wasted minutes though because they had the same model PSP in stock and the warranty terms had changed at the store.

Best Buy is pretty good with their warranties. At the end of our warranty (3 years) for a house phone (don't ask), we ended up taking in our current house phone (which still worked, just was a little beat up) and they replaced it with a comparable product of our choice (i.e. a house phone for the same price we paid for the original)... No questions asked.

My original HD DLP Sony was busted. Best Buy said they would call the repair place. After 2 weeks I called the repair place who said they had never received a call from Best Buy. I got it fixed under the Best Buy plan but came to find out it would not count as one of the "three strikes and you get a new TV" part of my extended warranty because I called the repair place instead of waiting. The repair shop said they hear about that all the time from Best Buy customers. My buddy at Best Buy says they have been known to wait over a month to call the reapir shop hoping you will give up and take care of it yourself.

I got lucky called last night and got an appointment for this morning. Best Buy hasn't been in Anchorage for long so maybe they haven't gotten used to screwing people here yet. The CS guy I talked to was super friendlly

Good experience with the repair guy. He said he would order a part and surprisingly scheduled his next appointment. He said that if that part didn't work then we would just have to get a replacement TV because all of the other parts are unavailable because Maxent doesn't make them anymore.
I really psyched myself out a little with all of the horror stories I read online but so far BB has been nothing but professional with me.

[quote name='shrike4242']
There's two types of service plans at BB, a PRP and PSP. The PRP, or product replacement plan, is for a single-use warranty on a low-cost piece of electronics. If the item fails in the PRP timeframe, you get full purchase price towards the cost of a new item. The PSP, or performance service plan, is an extended warranty plan that covers full repair or replacement for non-repair of an item in the warranty period.

Here's the BB.com page with the info on each:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...900050002&contentId=1043363604723&id=cat12098[/QUOTE]

I was under the understanding that they eliminated the Product Replacement Plans completely and only had the Product Service Plans now, which were called Geek Squad Black Tie something or other nowadays.

Those PRP's were godsends though, as all I usually had to do was say 'well it wasn't working right for me' when the PRP expiration date was coming due and I wanted to swap out for a newer model of the same item.:D

Of course, people like me are probably why they stopped selling the PRP's, since they probably were bleeding money on all of the cashed in ones on stuff that had nothing wrong with them.:lol:

I have to call BB about my 46" Samsung TV I got back in Dec 2007 with a 4 year PRP. There are vertical green, black, reddish and yellow lines appearing on the display. Usually no more than 5 at a time and after about 30 minutes of being on they all disappear. It only happens after the TV has been off overnight. I noticed it about 2 months ago, but didn't have time to stay home from work to get it looked at then. I have time off coming up so I need to call and get an appointment to have someone come out and look at it. I have to leave the TV off for the day so that it shows up when they turn it on! I tried checking connections and it happens on ALL the inputs so it's not just one of the video sources. at least with a 46" TV in the warranty it states that they will offer in home service because I'd have NO way of getting it back to the store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was under the understanding that they eliminated the Product Replacement Plans completely and only had the Product Service Plans now, which were called Geek Squad Black Tie something or other nowadays.

Those PRP's were godsends though, as all I usually had to do was say 'well it wasn't working right for me' when the PRP expiration date was coming due and I wanted to swap out for a newer model of the same item.:D

Of course, people like me are probably why they stopped selling the PRP's, since they probably were bleeding money on all of the cashed in ones on stuff that had nothing wrong with them.:lol:[/QUOTE]

I miss the PRP's as well glad I got one with my :360: before they stopped offering them.

Got a call today from the geek squad repairman who was supposed to try a part on my tv today. Said it wasn't available anywhere (which isn't a surprise because i think I may be the only person I know who has a Maxent TV) and said he was giving up and he was going to enact the PSP. He said he needed a few days and was going to get back to me. I'm hoping I just get a gift card so i can pick my next set. Although any 42 inch Plasma will be a step up and if they think they are shorting me on size they are mistaken.

I miss CompUSA's warranty. They were all product replacement, and pretty much no questions asked - and you always got full purchase price. My computer was upgraded constantly free for 4-5 years using that program for each part in it. Might be why they're out of business. =)

Just an update to my case.... BestBuy was out to look at the panel. Immediately said I needed a new one and placed an order. They were supposed to be out a week and a half ago, but the panel was still on order, was told it would be until at least the 26th. Got a call from corporate this past Tuesday that the panel was still on order and they didn't know when it would be in. They gave me the option of having them junk it out and they would replace it under the plan. I took that option and went into the store today. The comparable model was the one I had my eye on if we were going to go this route, so I was satisfied and took it. TV is coming next week and I only had to pay for the new 4 year warranty that I would say is worth it given my current situation. All in all I can say this has been the least painful experience I've ever had at BB. I was quite surprised!

bread's done
Back