Anybody know of a good site with netbook reviews and/or if I should wait on buying?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
so yeah^^^ I really want to get one of these babies, because carrying my regular laptop (or desktop for that matter) just isn't happening (I carry a lot of stuff, hard to shlep). From what i can tell, though, they're all mostly identical in terms of guts/parts. I wouldn't mind finding out if there's supposedly soemthing big coming out later this year, etc.

I'm especially interested in reliabilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, this is pretty funny. I've spent the last two days looking at them myself. I'll share what I know.

Right now is a pretty good time to buy. New models are coming out next month, that happen to not be that big of a difference, and the old models must go. Dell was just selling it's mini (with 4megs of ssd memory) for $199 but it's back up to $250. Still, you can find many for around $250.

Here is the important stuff to know - Nearly all of them use Intel's Atom CPU (1.6Ghz). It's somewhat revolutionary as far as power vs power consumption goes. They also all currently use Intel's chipset/motherboard.

The current netbooks out there are all roughly the same in performance. That is to say, they are not speed demons by a long shot. They are really designed for just checking email, surfing, maybe some light word processing. Much else, and it will bog down quickly. Don't even think about HD video or gaming beyond solitaire.

Nvidia plans to roll out a new chipset (same CPU) that is currently used in the macbook's which is much more powerful. It will allow HD video and some 3D. The current hangup is power consumption so they expect to have the first units out late summer.

If you can wait, and want more power, wait for the nvidia chipsets.

If you want something to just do light surfing and emailing etc., then now is a good time to pick up the Intel models.

You can google around, but I have yet to find a really good American site that reviews and compares all the current models. Because they all use the same cpu/screens etc, the only real big differences between them are as follows:

(SSD (Solid state) memory - this is used instead of a hard drive. It's essentially the memory in those usb sticks stacked together. Expect to get about 8GB with your netbook for $300 or less. You can get replacements that go up to 64GB, but they are pricy. The advantage to this is speed, almost instant boot up time, slightly smaller and lighter. You can also expect more reliability as these aren't susceptible to shock.

Hard drives - others come with normal laptop hard drives. These will take a little more power and will need spin up time. But the advantage is far more internal storage, usually 160GB.

Screen size - Some have 8.9 inch, others have 10", but they are almost all 1024x600 resolution.

Battery - You'll see 3 cell and 6 cell. It's the difference between 2.5 hours and 5 hours. 6 cell is also going to add a little bulk and weight.

Keyboards - This is the big one that the reviewers tend to focus on most. Many netbooks are despised for their ackwardly small keyboards. Others, like the Acer, Lenovo, and MSI are considered ok. But you have to accept that the keys will be small and scrunched, that's why you bought this device.

And remember that none of them come with internal dvd/or cd drives and never will. They just take up too much space.

As far as reliability there is nothing I have come across to suggest that there is anything inherent about netbooks to make them less reliable than the average laptop. They use mostly the same components, with a special focus on small and low power.

I can run HD video on my Wind just fine. Performance is far better than people give these things credit for. And the keyboard is very reasonable.

That's actually one of the biggest things to look out for -- the keyboard size/design. Some are worse than others. And I can't stand the 8.9" screens, they're just too small. You do sacrifice some portability with the larger 10" screens, but the real estate more than makes up for it IMO.

What kind of HD video? What resolution and codec? Obviously it's somewhat pointless to HD video on those screens, but the VGA out would be nice.

[quote name='thrustbucket']What kind of HD video? What resolution and codec? Obviously it's somewhat pointless to HD video on those screens, but the VGA out would be nice.[/quote]
.mkv at 720p. It looks noticeably better on the regular screen (from the couple I've tried), but outputting to a bigger screen will probably affect the performance with the increased resolution. Then again some netbooks have a one button overclock, so it may be able to handle it.

Isn't there a new acer that just came out which claims longer battery life? Think there was a thread in the other deals forum.

I got the Dell Mini 9 a couple of weeks ago. I used it for a couple of days and ended up returning it. Dell condensed the keyboard by moving the quote/apostrophe key beside the space bar. I got it thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, but I just couldn't get used to it.

If you end up getting a netbook, I would make sure it has a standard keyboard layout. I think the Mini 9 is the only netbook that doesn't use a standard layout though.

Other than the keyboard, I really liked the tiny formfactor. Although, if I get another netbook, I'll probably get one with a 10 inch screen.

Wait for the N280 chip and the GN40 chipset if you can, faster and lower power consumption. The 945GC chipset on the current models is a power hog.

[quote name='dafoomie']Wait for the N280 chip and the GN40 chipset if you can, faster and lower power consumption. The 945GC chipset on the current models is a power hog.[/QUOTE]

Wow! This has been an exceptionally productive thread, lots of great info provided. dafoomie, do you know when these chipsets are going to hit the market? As much as I really want a netbook, with current conditions in the economy (and perhaps my lack of urgency for a netbook with my other options), I can probably hold out for a bit.

The newest Asus has the new CPU but the old chipset. Not sure when the new chipset is coming out, but its a major upgrade.

You can already buy the new Asus with the new N280 chip(set). The only difference is, apparently, is a slight bump in bus speed on the motherboard. This, apparently, allows it to do 720p video (even though the screen isn't 720p). You can get them from J&R for $364 shipped ($25 off promotion lasting a couple more days.)

The new chips actually worth waiting for are the Ion chipsets from Nvidia. Those will be quite a bump in graphic horsepower, and they expect those late summer.

I have an Asus EEE 904. Totally worth it if you understand the limits and capabilities. My only suggestion to you: Unless you have very small, under-sized fingers, get a 10" netbook, or at least one with a 10" shell. The model I have is an 8.9", but the shell of the netbook is fit for a 10" screen. The screen is no larger, but the keyboard has the extra inch to space out. Having tried both, it makes a HUGE difference in regards to typing accuracy.

I got an Acer Aspire One a few months ago after rather extensive research -- I've gotten the chance to use several other netbooks since then and I'm glad I didn't get one of the others, but I often wish I had saved more and gotten a bigger (but still light) 13" regular laptop, like a Macbook or small (

Dude, you're talking about a form of PC. There is always some great advance on the horizon.

Remember, perfect is the enemy of good enough. Good enough's sole advantage over perfect is that it can often be had for purchase while the perfect is forever unobtainable.

Keep an eye on Fatwallet and Slickdeals, a sale for one of the various netbooks from Dell or Lenovo pops up regularly, Asus too. Almost everybody makes one now.

Just make sure the system is beefy enough to support what you want to do with it. If not, wait a little longer.

[quote name='dafoomie']Keep an eye on Fatwallet and Slickdeals, a sale for one of the various netbooks from Dell or Lenovo pops up regularly, Asus too. Almost everybody makes one now.

Just make sure the system is beefy enough to support what you want to do with it. If not, wait a little longer.[/quote]

I have a 10% off newegg code right now.

I'm thinking this one is really nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220504

but I'm not sure whether its card reader has the ability for Memory Sticks (Pro/Duo) since it doesn't say.

At Amazon, I believe this is the same model, and according to their specs it does. I'm just not sure:

http://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Netbo...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237262690&sr=8-4

Anyone know?

[quote name='hector031']I got the Dell Mini 9 a couple of weeks ago. I used it for a couple of days and ended up returning it. Dell condensed the keyboard by moving the quote/apostrophe key beside the space bar. I got it thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, but I just couldn't get used to it.

If you end up getting a netbook, I would make sure it has a standard keyboard layout. I think the Mini 9 is the only netbook that doesn't use a standard layout though.

Other than the keyboard, I really liked the tiny formfactor. Although, if I get another netbook, I'll probably get one with a 10 inch screen.[/QUOTE]

The older Asus EEE pcs have the most messed up keyboard. i think its the 701. try typing on that. you would want that Dell back in a hurry.

I just bought a mini 9 and i say it doesnt bother me one bit. i could understand them moving the keys around because the system is small as is. anymore expanding might as well buy a mini 10 or 12.

The netbooks i do reccommend hiccuple are these:1 you are looking at right now
Samsung NC10
MSi Wind
Asus 901 if you want to save some cash
Dell mini 9 or 10

they all give terrific performance but it all just comes down to asthetics which is why i would go to Best Buy and type on one of them to see if you could get used to it.

as for my netbook. Im upgrading it to a 32gb Runcore SSD and adding an extra GB of Ram to it and buying an 8 cell battery because i just like more battery life. I bought my Mini for 245 after Tax from the dell outlet and it has been a extremely great purchase for me. I dont have to lug my inspiron 1525 now when i can lug this lite guy. I do say get a case for them. I bought a neoprene case for 8 bucks on with ship and it has been my savior.

I know the minis can read Pro Duo and SDs. im sure enough ASUS has that option in theirs.

[quote name='JolietJake']I always hated those eraser mice, IBM used them quite a bit.[/quote]

I had one of them on my old laptop, which I actually liked and used all the time until it got rubbed down to a nub, but I had forgotten the name for it.

Still, does anyone know if that Asus model has memory sticks port?

After some random googling, I came upon a site that has a really solid review of the ASUS netbook I linked to earlier:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Asus-Eee-PC-1000HE-Netbook/?page=5

Even though I have this nifty 10% off coupon for newegg, I might just hold off. Money's tight at the moment (economy), and according to them, if I could wait for the N280 to come out, then surely I can wait for the GN40, and battery life will probably become a standard 9 hours or at the very least there will be more models from more manufacturers that can claim this feat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommended picking up a netbook OP, I love my eee PC. The only thing I wish was different is that it was a little bit more powerful so I could play Team Fortress 2, but I didn't want to spring for a netbook with a higher end videocard so I'll have to live with playing low end games on it.

Actually, come to think of it, I still don't understand what exactly makes the GN40 chipset better. Is it power consumption, or something else entirely? It seems you can get 720p hi-def playback on the current chipset, so what is the added advantage of the GN40?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Actually, come to think of it, I still don't understand what exactly makes the GN40 chipset better. Is it power consumption, or something else entirely? It seems you can get 720p hi-def playback on the current chipset, so what is the added advantage of the GN40?[/QUOTE]
Better video, higher memory speed.

I've read conflicting reports on power consumption. Some claim a 35% decrease, and some say it doubles. We won't know for sure until its out.

VIA is coming out with a board (surfboard c855) that'll do hardware h.264, mpeg, etc decoding, but who knows how long it'll be before theres a system out.

[quote name='dafoomie']Better video, higher memory speed.

I've read conflicting reports on power consumption. Some claim a 35% decrease, and some say it doubles. We won't know for sure until its out.[/quote]

Better video in what way?

decreases or increases power consumption?

[quote name='dafoomie']Better video as in more powerful video capability. Some say lower power, some say higher.[/quote]

Hmm...that still doesn't really describe what it means to have better video, because when you think about it, the screen is tiny, there's no optical drive for Blu-Ray, so as long as it can do 720p, it should be fine. I guess if you use the netbook as intended, and it comes with a large enough battery, there really aren't any issues with this netbook.

I'm not sure that the current chipset can really do 720p, not at high bitrates anyway. I'd look into that and test it if possible before counting on it. Then again, if you don't plan to watch movies on it then it doesn't matter.

If the upcoming stuff doesn't offer improvements to what you'll use it for then don't worry about it and just get the best deal you can on whats out now. GN40 isn't going to do anything for web browsing or word processing.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm not sure that the current chipset can really do 720p, not at high bitrates anyway. I'd look into that and test it if possible before counting on it. Then again, if you don't plan to watch movies on it then it doesn't matter.

If the upcoming stuff doesn't offer improvements to what you'll use it for then don't worry about it and just get the best deal you can on whats out now. GN40 isn't going to do anything for web browsing or word processing.[/quote]

I don't know, from everything I've read in my research (a few weeks now), it seems that this one (or the chipset on this netbook) can handle 720p smoothly. I'm not really going to be able to test this if I purchase it. I've got a coupon (which I should have used when the laptop was 375 for a greater discount), but at 390 plus the coupon it's still a decent deal. I'm mostly going to be using the laptop for word processing (coffee shops, lecture halls that sort of thing), web browsing, and the occasional Hulu/netflix video (which I can't imagine will look great/spectacular on such a small screen). For gaming, I have my heavy duty widescreen HP laptop for WoW/Counterstrike/Half-life (occasional RTS) or my PC.

Hmm..I don't know, after thinking this through for the function of this computer, I might just pull the trigger on it. For the function that netbooks are supposed to support, I can't really see how big a difference any changes in the hard ware might be, with the exception being battery life (which at 9.5 hours is top notch in my book).

I ended up pulling the trigger and getting it from Newegg with my coupon (which made it awesome). Threw in a 2GB stick of ram, and I'm good to go. After plenty of thought, like I did above, it reaffirmed why I was buying it and that it was a worthwhile product at a good deal price. I'm happy. Thanks epobirs and dafoomie - wise words as always.

I'm a proud owner of a MSI Wind. I got it primarily to run OS X (via hacks). So far, it's quite the stud. It's more of a "away" laptop now and will keep me from bringing my huge MacBook Pro outside, which I will use at home from now on. The only downside is that the Wind does not fit my small bag so I'm once again looking for another bag.

Just got my sub-$200 Dell Mini 9 and installed OS X on it. :0)

2zjl3px.jpg

23ur3et.jpg

cp8ap.jpg

Runs great, my only real issue is that they moved around some of the punctuation/symbol keys on the keyboard so that ends up being a mindfuck.

Where'd you find a sub-$200 Dell like that? i would love to do that and throw on OS X. As it is, I think I might bring together the separate partitions (probably just a good idea overall - anyone know how?) and throw a small partition with Ubuntu for that instant-on feeling.

bread's done
Back