Anybody work/worked at Toys R Us?

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just did an interview there, and am wondering what your experiences are?

My interview was a group interview, and lasted like 1.5 hours. I won't find out if I got the job until Thurs. or Fri.

The only thing I'm dreading about working there is dealing with the babies r us side of the store, for which I know 0 about, but I guess I could learn, right?

[quote name='2DMention']I just did an interview there, and am wondering what your experiences are?

My interview was a group interview, and lasted like 1.5 hours. I won't find out if I got the job until Thurs. or Fri.

The only thing I'm dreading about working there is dealing with the babies r us side of the store, for which I know 0 about, but I guess I could learn, right?[/QUOTE]

I worked there over the holidays once, basically just stocked stuff and unloaded trucks.

I interviewed with TRU for what would have been my first job....so keep in mind this was about 20 years ago. During the interview I had to take a scantron test that was basically a poor mans psych-profile, I guess I failed because I got a call a few days later saying they didn't think I was a good fit for the company.

I know this info is of little help to you OP, being 20 years old and all, but this thread just reminded me of that odd experience.

Good luck.

I worked there a few years ago. We interviewed as a group of maybe a dozen of us. At the end of the interview they split us in half and my group got pulled outside the interviewing room and told we were hired. I don't know what the other group was told.

I was working the entire video games section after that. It was a phenomenal job. I worked that area because I outright told them I won't work any other department. I also told them I wouldn't work nights or weekends. So I worked 3 days a week (around my school schedule) and never weekends or past 5 pm. It was glorious.

We did a group interview where we were given a marker and a piece of paper and were told to draw things that represented us. We had to talk in front of everybody. I think I overemphasized my gaming knowledge and interest.

After that, we interviewed each other and told everybody why we should hire the other person.

After that, we had to go and pick an item and sell it and talk about it

After that, more waiting, and then a 5 minute individual interview.

I was told to work in the electronics, you have to have lots of experience at the front register because everybody wants to work there and you have to sell lots of warranties.

We'll see what happens - I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='Magehart']I don't know what the other group was told.
[/QUOTE]

Same thing as everyone else that doesn't get hired for a job: "You're overqualified."

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Same thing as everyone else that doesn't get hired for a job: "You're overqualified."[/QUOTE]

I prefer the: "We'll let you know in a few days."

Which one did you go to? Minnetonka or Bloomington?

A friend worked at the Bloomington store years ago and found it to be pretty bland in terms of retail.

Worked there from 2002 - 2003, 2004 - 2006. I mainly worked as a cashier at R Zone and maintained and stocked at R Zone too. The hard times at TRU is during the winter holidays. My god do I remember the 3-12 A.M. shifts I had only worked 6 days a week. Glad I'm gone and done from there.

So what I'm gathering from these stories, is that TRU has some really strange interview practices.

I used to work in the storeroom at TRU. Never had any crazy group interviews or anything. I had a pretty straightforward interview with one person, then a manager, that was it.

Sounds like TRU has changed a bit with their hiring practices since I worked there.

My brother worked there part time a couple of years ago. His main complaint was about the lack of hours at first, but since he knows his videogames they pretty much gave him a full time schedule in the games section. Not many complaints thereafter.

Best Buy used to have an awesome hiring process. You called a phone number and did a quiz over the phone. If you passed you got an interview, if you aced it you basically got the job. People would get a hold of the answers and give them to friends to basically dial-a-job. Then they'd just tell BB they can only work one day a week, just to get the employee discount.

I worked at TRU for a few years about 6-7 years ago. Interestingly, while some all of the people that started around the same time I did had the group interview, I had a one-on-one interview with the store manager and was hired on the spot.

As far as the job, it was a unique retail experience, and it depended on the day. Typically, two days a week we unloaded truck. But I did almost everything, aside from janitorial. Building sets and displays, stocking, inventory, etc. Alot of my jobs were handed directly from the store manager, so I constantly got into arguments with one of the world leaders (assistant managers) because I was always too busy to take orders from her, and she hated me for it.

I actually loved working there, and probably would still be there if I didn't eventually get screwed over on a promotion. After months of promises from the manager, I was guaranteed the next world leader opening.

Opening came, no word, and they hired some dumb girl with NO retail experience off the street and gave her the job. After two weeks of having to train her and basically do her job for her, I had enough. Fortunately, I had a second job at the local TV station, and was promoted to full-time that same week.

Sorry for the old man disjointed tale of woe, but that's how a roll nowadays. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']prim4444 is a TRU employee, as he regularly posts in the TRU threads. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, he pretty much took over as the TRU deal guy after my departure.

so there's a position in TRU known as "world leader"?

WTF? I'm so glad I no longer work in a huge corporate environment. Those people truly frighten me.

[quote name='nasum']so there's a position in TRU known as "world leader"?

WTF? I'm so glad I no longer work in a huge corporate environment. Those people truly frighten me.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they still do it, but that's how the departments were divided up, as "worlds." I never even thought about how megalomaniacal that sounds. :lol:

A couple months ago I applied to Toys R Us looking for a second job I could work a couple nights a week or weekends. Yesterday I got a call to go to one of those group interviews and the lady sounded like she was reading off a sheet asking me if 8-16 hours a week, $8.25 an hour, and working with the public "would fit my needs".

I withdrew my interest. Told her honestly I'm not willing to give up my weekends anymore. After reading about their group interview hoopla, I'm really glad I didn't go along for that mess. Never been to a group interview, its already awkward enough when you're in the lobby/reception with the people you're competing with in regular job interviews.

It was almost 10 years ago i worked there. Holiday season position. Quit after two weeks, retail is just not for me. It was an easy job running a register all day, not my thing though. Good luck though op

[quote name='Clak']So what I'm gathering from these stories, is that TRU has some really strange interview practices.[/QUOTE]

During my interview they passed around a roll of toilet paper and told us to take any number of squares. Afterwards they told us to say something about ourselves for each square we took. fuck if I know the mathelogic behind it. I took the midground between what everyone else was taking (3, 4, 8, 7, 6, 15... I took 5).

bread's done
Back