Anyone a Rush Limbaugh fan?

[quote name='Msut77']myl0r didn't you say you were a preacher or trying to be one?[/QUOTE]
Way late to answer this, but...
Yeah, I'm a Youth Minister at a church.

[quote name='dorino']I couldn't care less if they're buying cigarettes and whiskey with their welfare money.[/QUOTE]

So you don't mind paying for their surgeries in thirty years? On the other hand, it does mean they spend less time on the rolls.

[quote name='Msut77']So you get paid basically almost entirely based on the charity of others correct?[/QUOTE]
yes. people don't give tithes/offerings, I don't get a paycheck.
I'm intrigued to see where you are going with this.

Don't be too intrigued I haven't even decided where I am going with this.

But has your income gone down since the recession, because your flock has less to give?

[quote name='Msut77']Don't be too intrigued I haven't even decided where I am going with this.

But has your income gone down since the recession, because your flock has less to give?[/QUOTE]
I just graduated a bit more than a year ago, and have only been here at the church for 11 months, so recession was already a reality by the time. Hopefully a year or two for now I could answer your question about whether we have seen an increase as the economy goes up.

Also, I did say in my original statement that I think giving to the less fortunate is overall a good and noble thing. I support it. It's a great thing. I'm proud to say the church I work at believes this and does various things to reach out and help those people. I believe that is part of the central work of the people of Christian faith, it is part of our calling.
But, while we believe God asks us to give 10% of our income back, we also don't force people to give tithes/offerings. We don't go to their bank and withdraw that money.
And I simply said I believe that other Americans, Christian or otherwise, should not be FORCED to give/help those in need. Noble, but not necessary.

[quote name='myl0r']And I simply said I believe that other Americans, Christian or otherwise, should not be FORCED to give/help those in need. Noble, but not necessary.[/QUOTE]

Using the word forced let alone putting it in CAPS makes me less inclined to respond to you seriously FYI.

Private charity has never been enough, basically anywhere but especially in times like now.

Is there any particular reason however it gets your goat more than being "forced" to pay for stupid wars?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what we are even arguing/debating.
I was simply responding to what dorino(I think it was doring, whoever I quoted last week) said about someone being an asshole and selfish because they didn't want to give up their money to help someone who was less fortunate.

I honestly don't mind paying a bit of my taxes to help out people who can't afford food or healthcare. I was simply saying, even if you think someone is selfish for wanting to keep their money, I think they have that right.
Is charity really charity if it's mandatory?

Oh, and I'm not too big on having to pay for any of the "wars"/"conflicts" that we have been involved in during and recent to my lifetime.

bread's done
Back