Anyone considering the cheaper version PS3?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
260 (100%)
I don't need HDMI as I would hook this up to a normal old TV. I guess Wi-Fi would be nice but I can live without it. I also don't need a media center. I'm leaning more towards a PS3 due to my PS1 and PS2 games but I'm still not sure. I'm still on the fence if I will get this or a 360 and I'll probably be waiting awhile anyway but I think the "cheaper version" may be the way for me to go if I buy one.

I'd rather get the deluxe version just for the HDMI output. Because, if you get the version without it then you're stuck with analog output unless you buy another system.

I don't think it'd be wise... because as the deadline for all boardcasts to go HD approaches, more and more HDTVs will be made. And as more and more HDTVs are made, the price will drop as well meaning a HDTV w/1080p and HDMI support will be cheaper as well.

I know we're getting a new TV in the next year and it will have 1080p. And seeing as how Blu-Ray and PS3 games will pretty much be the only things supporting 1080p, it'd be a waste to get the cheapo PS3.

Of course, nobody in this family currently has any plans to buy a PS3 for a couple of years.;-)

The one thing Vinny is that deadling for HD Keeps getting pushed back. I rememer when i was selling Tvs 8 + years ago and it was supposed to be 2003 or some weird (already passed) date.

For me it comes down to games but you may not have an HDTV now but in 6-7 years will you? What about later if you want to go back and play games. You will have an HDTV then so for the $100 it might not be worth going for the lower priced unit.

[quote name='Snake2715']The one thing Vinny is that deadling for HD Keeps getting pushed back. I rememer when i was selling Tvs 8 + years ago and it was supposed to be 2003 or some weird (already passed) date.

For me it comes down to games but you may not have an HDTV now but in 6-7 years will you? What about later if you want to go back and play games. You will have an HDTV then so for the $100 it might not be worth going for the lower priced unit.[/QUOTE]

I don't know in 6-7 years the PS4 would probably be out anyway. It may be something I will eventually need but in the here and now I don't feel compelled to spend the extra $100 if I don't have to. I have no plans to buy an HDTV in the near future. I guess I should wait awhile to decide because I'm not buying this at launch anyway.

I have a HDTV with HDMI input that I am saving just for the PS3... of course I am not going to shell out 600 for it at launch unless I know I can profit with it on ebay... then Ill take those profits and use em toward my own ps3

[quote name='jkam']I don't know in 6-7 years the PS4 would probably be out anyway. It may be something I will eventually need but in the here and now I don't feel compelled to spend the extra $100 if I don't have to. I have no plans to buy an HDTV in the near future. I guess I should wait awhile to decide because I'm not buying this at launch anyway.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Unless you have or plan to get a HDTV with HDMI, there's no reason to get the $600 one. The Warhawk team had said they have no plans to support 1080p, and it reasonable that some other developers won't either. Sony stated that USB card readers and HDDs will work on the PS3, and adding WiFi is a obviously possible, so HDMI is the only issue here.

I just recently bought an HDTV, so I would rather like the more expensive one if I had the money to afford it. My PS2 plays all my PSone and 2 games fine, not too mention I can repair it fairly well at this point. Wireless is must for me at this time. I've gotten so into online gaming again recently, that I really want to have this aspect for the next gen, especialy with my new set up I have.

$500 for me...I have no intention of buying an HD TV for a loooong time. So I'll be fine with the cheaper version since I want it to play games.

yep...I don't think the $500 version automatically reverts to Pong graphics if you don't have HDMI, don't need 60 gigs for game saves, don't care too much about memory stick support or storing music or video. Of course, if it doesn't recognize an Ipod like the 360, that would be hella lame.

I really think the $600 one is a waste of money, but I guess people who own TVs with HDMI disagree.

but w/e I won't buy one until I can swing a great deal on it.

still on the fence about which one myself . I was hoping they would leave the wi fi in the "cheaper" version which would technically make it the same price as the 360 premuim version with a purchase of msofts wifi adaptor. But I guess thats wishful thinking just go for the 500 version since you wont be using hdmi.
Also I think the harddrive is for ps1 and ps2 game downloads well just a pretty big guess you know.

Some people have brought up that 1080p output should be possible through the typical AV multi out port, that both $500 and $600 versions have. But then you would need an $75-$100 adapter to plug it into the HDMI on your TV.

I don't know enough about electronics to comment on that, though.

bread's done
Back