Anyone cut (buzz) their own hair?

KongaKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I'm thinking of picking a clipper and just giving myself a buzz cut. Anyone else cut their own hair? For the cost of just a few hair cuts I can just buy my own kit and save the money and do it myself. I'd just give myself a #2 buzz. Any advice? I don't think you could really mess up since it has a guard

I have the missus do it, as I inevitably miss small sections on the back. Good investment though, as all I ever got was a buzz cut, and spending upwards of ten bucks every time was ridiculous. $50 clippers have given me about a dozen haircuts now.

i do it myself... just go around my whole head with a #2 or #3 depending on my mood

i bought a pair at walmart for like 20... and its lasted me 2 years so far

yeah i do it too, you can use the mirror or just feel your head to tell if any parts of your hair are still longer than the rest. been doing it for about 4 months now, and seeing as how it is hot as balls, makes as much sense as it does dollars cutting my own hair

I do my own... I bought a set of Remington Precision clippers at the beginning of my freshman year of college at a Meijer for about 20 bucks. I usually cut my hair about every 2-3 weeks and the clippers are great since they don't require oiling or anything. I am now entering my senior year, so do the math and they have more than met the cost.

I used to cut my own hair all the time never had any troubles or shed any blood. I always went with a bald look using clippers since I figured I'd split myself open with a razor. Now I keep a different style and it pains me to pay $12 + tip.

Sometimes I cut my own hair with clippers (not real short though, like 5/8 or 3/4). The only thing I hate is the itchy hair that they somehow avoid when I get it cut at a salon. Always have to take a shower afterward. I look decent enough in the buzz/military type cuts though and they do save some cash, especially if your hair grows really fast like mine. I like to spike it but it grows so fast I'm only able to do that a few weeks at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest I've come is shaving my head a few times. It seems to have a rejuvenatory effect, with the new growth being much nicer than the length it replaces. It's good for shock value to go overnight from hair down to the shoulders to none at all.

It's not as hard as it seems, I've been doing my own hair for a few years now, saved me $20+ per haircut. I don't just buzz it either, I spike my hair so I use scissors on top and clippers on the sides and back. After time I've learned a few tricks, using multiple mirrors allows you to do the back of your head as well, that method takes time to get used to it...I got it pretty much down now :D

I'm thinking of picking a clipper and just giving myself a buzz
signature_Sign.jpg
:)

[quote name='Allnatural']I've been doing mine for years now. I was going bald anyway; figured I'd finish the job.[/QUOTE]

Same thing here. I do a #2 every few weeks. Eventually I'll do a 1 then a zero. I have this really cool buzzer my mom gave me that has a fan that sucks up the hair as it is being cut. It makes clean up way easier.

When I do it I make sure to shake out all the cut hairs half way and run a comb through it. It seems to bring up those random hairs you miss while doing it.

I had a friend do it for me years ago, but after we lost touch I started buzzing my own about two years ago. It's easy, and the easy way to check for missed hair is just ask someone to look over your head. I have very thick hair but I go over without a guard on once a month or so.

Nothing beats that freshly buzzed hair feel.

Ive been doing it for 15 years....keep it short. I have occasionally went to get a cut at a baber shop but thats only when Im away from home and cant get my clippers.

I buzz mine but I am letting it grow for the first time in my life. I imagine I will go grey in the next 5 years so I might as well make some memories with long brown hair. After that, back to the grey buzz. Get my Anderson Cooper Cut going.

Once as a freshman in college ('94), I had my cousin cut my hair and it didnt look right so I told him to just cut it all off Michael Jordan style. I found out that I looked good bald so I just kept it that way. The next year, I decided that instead of paying someone to cut all my hair off, I could just do it myself. I've gone thru a few pairs of clippers as after about 18 months, I just dont feel they cut as well. But I only pay about 20-30 bucks for a set of Osters or Wahls.

I actually just cut my hair 2 days ago.

[quote name='dkreegz515']i do it myself... just go around my whole head with a #2 or #3 depending on my mood

i bought a pair at walmart for like 20... and its lasted me 2 years so far[/QUOTE]

Ditto....however, if you find a set of clippers you like, buy a second set to have as backup...theres no worse feeling than going somewhere with a half shaved f'd up hairdo looking to buy another set because the old set broke down half way through....you get looked at like some meth head psycho. lol

I use a #1 and it's pretty easy. Sometimes I miss small spots on the back of my head, but I just have my gf clean it up.

I did cut my ear slightly once. I was using just the clippers to trim the hair behind my ear and I got a small scratch.

I did it myself for the first time last week and it went well. The $20 clippers have already paid for themselves between cuts for my son and I.

I've used clippers to buzz my hair for close to 7 years now. I've considered letting it grow out and just pay someone to cut it but I'm spoiled on not having to pay. Besides, my hair grew fast before I started and so now I'm sure it'd be so fast I'd have to get it cut way more than I'd want.

[quote name='KingDox']Same thing here. I do a #2 every few weeks. Eventually I'll do a 1 then a zero. I have this really cool buzzer my mom gave me that has a fan that sucks up the hair as it is being cut. It makes clean up way easier.

When I do it I make sure to shake out all the cut hairs half way and run a comb through it. It seems to bring up those random hairs you miss while doing it.[/QUOTE]

I think I have the same one. I got it at walmart about a year or so ago. It is really nice only bad thing is the first one only came with half of the guards it should have and the one I use was one that it didn't come with. The second one came with only half of them again so the customer service rep at walmart and I just took the ones that the new one didn't have from the other one and I was able to get 3/4ths of the ones it was to have. I only wanted the 1 and I think 4. One for summer and the 4 for winter and I'm fine. Also it didn't come with the oil but I have some from other ones left that I would forget to oil. I might have to check out the Remington Precision mvp said that way I don't have to remember to oil them.

I have been doing this since I was in the 6th grade.

I'm 30 now. I have no idea how much money I have saved due to this. Anybody who pays money for a buzzcut is a fucking moron, IMO.

i've been cutting my own hair for about 3 or 4 years now. it takes some practice, but you'll eventually get the hang of it :) Just be patient and you'll get it!

I buzzed my hair for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've been pretty much bald on top for several years now so I finally decided to even everything out. From here on out I will continue to use no guard or the 1.

i'm more shocked by how many people here get buzz cuts than i am by how many do it themselves

imo buzz cuts are too short for most people.. only looks good on a select few.. i did it once back in junior high, never again

i cut Frosty's hair (corrosivefrost) all the time. when i don't have time to do it, he'll do the majority of it then i'll clean up along his neck/ears and check for missed spots which can be hard to see/feel if you buzz every 2 weeks or so. we got a ghetto cheap pair of clippers at Family Dollar for around $12. They've lasted for 3 years but you can tell they don't have the balls that better clippers have. they're about ready to bite the dust, and when they do we'll get a good pair since it's obviously worth it.

nope barber for me! 10$ for a shape-up and 20$ for a complete cut! but ive been growing my hair for over a year so only shape-ups for now!

Justin looks a lot better than he did back in the Nsync days. Remember the curly fro? I'd take a buzz over that any day.

bread's done
Back