Anyone else a bit let down by the 2007 (and now 2008) DS game lineup?

dmaul1114

Banned
Seemed I couldn't keep up last year, but this year all I've bought so far is Planet Puzzle League.

Looking at the Release Dates on IGN, only Zelda jumps out as a must buy for me. There's a lot coming, just not much that interests me. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This year has been extremely light (not counting all the stuff I've sold off)

Tetris
NSMB
Rocket Slime
Clubhouse Games
Contact
FFIII
EBA (bought in 2007)

Phoenix Wright: JFA
Etrian Odyssey
Zelda (preordered)

Not counting the imports in there since I'm not sure of their release and don't really count with the topic at hand.

There are games on the way the last few months that interest me, but I don't know if I'll bite. Only things that look like buys for this year are Flash Focus, PW3, Contra 4, FFXII, and Professor Layton. Few others are somewhat interesting.

In conclusion, the year is going to finish out a hell of a lot better than it started, but doesn't hold a candle to last year.

I still haven't beaten all the games I got last year. So I'm not too worried if there's only a dozen games I want to get oppposed to two dozen.

What I bought so far in '07

Phoenix Wright 2
Hotel Dusk
Lunar Knights
FF: Chocobo Tales
Pokemon
Planet Puzzle League
and those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

[quote name='Kaijufan']OP you need to buy Hotel Dusk. It's easily my favorite DS game.[/QUOTE]

I hate text adventure games. Phoenix Wright bored me to tears. If I wanted to read that much and have that little control I'd just read a book.

Aren't you always saying you don't have time to play much these days? Seems like Nintendo smiled upon you this year.

[quote name='spiwak']Aren't you always saying you don't have time to play much these days? Seems like Nintendo smiled upon you this year.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be doing a good bit of coast to coast travel the next several months for work, so that will open up some DS time on flights etc.

This year hasn't had as many AAA titles as last years for the DS. I am still very satisfied with the games I have played this year. And there is the holiday releases still coming.

Yes and no. Still have a 5 game backlog on my DS and 10 game backlog on my PSP. Nothing new was bought for my DS from this year's releases. Zelda will probably be my first for '07.

I've bought

Pokemon Diamond, Picross, Rune Factory, Puzzle Quest, Hotel Dusk, Ouendan 2, Custom Robo, Lunar Knights, Phoenix Wright 2 and some others I've forgotten. It's been a pretty good year, I'm still working my way through the collection.

Games I've pre-ordered:

Need for Speed
Juiced 2
The Simpsons DS
Zelda: PH
Lifesigns
Phoenix Wright: JFA

Still Want:

My Word coach
My Spanish Coach
Geometry Wars
Race Driver: Create and Race
Mario Party
Dementium: The Ward
Mario & Sonic at the olympics
Proffeser Layton & the Mysterious village

My 2008 Game list has seven games on it. This year for me has been great. Sold a bunch of games, bought some, have these to look forward too.

Few things I might buy:

Panzer Tactics (pre-ordered) [lots of pre-order discounts online on this title]
Zelda (pre-ordered)
Geometry Wars
Race Driver
Dementium
Undercover: Dual Motives
Sinking Island

Jayayess1190: Juiced 2? Have you checked out Race Driver yet?

Planet Puzzle League = Best DS game until Ninja Gaiden comes out :D

This has been another great year for the DS, it's just that the good games were spread out better this year. I can't say a year which gave Ouendan 2 and Pokemon D/P was bad, considering those are the two best DS games available IMO. It is looking a little light over the next few months, but it's not like I'm going to have a lot of time anyway considering I still have games from last year waiting to be played.

I honestly think that the only DS game I've bought this year has been Picross. There have been others that I'd like, but my 360 and Wii have been keeping me busy.

On that note: Go Buy Picross! :D

So far this year I've gotten Diddy Kong Racing, Planet Puzzle League, Brothers in Arms, Picross, Brain Age 2, Hotel Dusk, and Phoenix Wright 2. Maybe I'm forgetting one or two.

Right now I'm looking forward to Zelda (duh), Sonic Rush Adventure, maybe Chibi Robo, and Phoenix Wright 3. Not too bad, not too great. I still want to get puzzle quest and I'm sure there are some new releases that I can't think of.

Hmm... Thus far this year for me:

Etrian Odyssey
Hotel Dusk
Justice for All
Pokemon

And forthcoming:

Front Mission
Contra 4
Trials and Tribulations

No complaints here.

I'm still catching up from 2006, so the lighter 2007 lineup hasn't bothered me.

So far this year, I've bought:
  • FF Fables: Chocobo Tales
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Picross
  • Pokemon
  • Puzzle Quest

I've been playing Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Puzzle Quest, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Pokemon, and Picross; I haven't had time for any more games.

Of the games released this year, I still want to get:
  • Glory Days 2
  • Heroes of Mana
  • New York Times Crosswords
  • Rune Factory

That list doesn't count games coming out this fall or games released in 2005 or 2006 I still haven't picked up, so I have plenty of DS games to keep me busy. I can see though where there's a lack of big titles this year, especially compared to last year.

How come no one has said Worms 2 yet?

I mean, its worms, with every weapon from all the worms games, and WiFi.

Im so gonna be getting this next week when it comes out (9/4 for those that dont know)

To be clear, I didn't mean to imply there were no good games....there just haven't been games that interest me.

I don't like Pokemon, have had my fill of puzzle games on the DS--so no interest in Picross right now, don't like text adventure games so no Hotel Dusk or PW3 for me, like platformers but never cared for Sonic games so that one's out, hated EBA so no interest in inmporting Quendan 2 etc. etc.

It's just been a poor year for my tastes, after last year where we had NSMB, Rocket Slime, Clubhouse Games, Mario Kart still going strong etc. etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']To be clear, I didn't mean to imply there were no good games....there just haven't been games that interest me.

I don't like Pokemon, have had my fill of puzzle games on the DS--so no interest in Picross right now, don't like text adventure games so no Hotel Dusk or PW3 for me, like platformers but never cared for Sonic games so that one's out, hated EBA so no interest in inmporting Quendan 2 etc. etc.

It's just been a poor year for my tastes, after last year where we had NSMB, Rocket Slime, Clubhouse Games, Mario Kart still going strong etc. etc.[/quote]

Have you played Picross? It's a lot different from the other puzzle games. I know you know that, but I mean it makes you think differently so playing it is more enjoyable (to me) and very different from the dropping-block-type puzzle games. If you're just completely burnt out on any kind of puzzle game (or at least blatantly a puzzle, since all games are essentially puzzles) you won't want it, but if there's a way for you to demo it then you should.

I very disappointed by both the DS and the Wii line-up. There are only two games for me... Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and Mario Galaxy. I'm sick of all the brain game/mini games nonsense. One or two are fine, but do we need one or two every week? No. Nintendo needs to go back to making real games.

I don't think 2007 has been bad for the ds at all. here's my purchases:

Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Hotel Dusk Room 215
Puzzle Quest
SNK vs Capcom Card fiighters

And here's my waitlist of games till coming out this year for the ds:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Geometry Wars Galaxies
N+
Contra 4
Ultimate Mortal Kombat III
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Bleach: Blade of Fate
Sonic Rush Adventure
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Worms 2 Open Warfare
Drawn to Life
Jam Sessions

oh the ds has been good to me this year.

Yeah it was a bit of a slow year but not too bad really. Could be worst, could be launch all over again.

This year

- Planet Puzzle League (Didn't buy it, prolly will down the road)
- Pokemon Pearl/Diamond (Amazon DOTD $20 FTW)
- Puzzle Quest (Waiting for XBL or Wii version)
- Lunar Knights (Gota grab this someday)
- Hotel Dusk (Own it and It's great.)
- Phoenix Wright 2+3 (Beat 2, first was better but looking forward to Part 3 a lot more then I did with 2)

Everything else... eh.

We still have the following out before the year ends though
- Ninja Garden: Ryu's Sunny Sunflowers of Doom (if it doesn't get delayed)
- My Sims Wi-Fi (EA will probably screw this up though)
- Sonic Rush Adventure (Isn't this the Bioware project game?)
- Megaman ZX Advent
- Contra 4
- Dragon Quest Monsters
- Zelda

Few others titles that I forget...

I wish the FF4 remake was this year. That's the next DS game I'm really hyped about. Even more than Phantom Hourglass.

Games that I think look good in 07:

Already Out:

Brain Age 2
Hotel Dusk
Picross
Puzzle Quest
Planet Puzzle League
Phoenix Wright 2

Future Releases:

Front Mission
Chibi Robo
Layton
Contra 4 (with NES Contra and Super C)
Phoenix Wright 3
Zelda

Games I have no interest in, but you might:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Rune Factory
Mario Party DS
Sonic Rush Adventure
Heroes of Mana
Mega Man ZX Advent
Touch Detective 2 1/2
Jam Sessions
Geometry Wars
DK Jungle Climber
Ninja Gaiden
FFXII: Revenant Wings
Ultimate Mortal Kombat

I just named 26 games (not counting alternate versions or imports like Ouendan 2) without writing a game that is truly questionable and not likely to purchased by at least a few CAGs. At the very worst, there has to be at least 12 games that interest you in that list (given the right price). That's 1 game per month.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Seemed I couldn't keep up last year, but this year all I've bought so far is Planet Puzzle League.

Looking at the Release Dates on IGN, only Zelda jumps out as a must buy for me. There's a lot coming, just not much that interests me. :([/QUOTE]

Maybe you burned yourself out last year and need some break from games. Before this year I haven't owned any console for 5 years.

[quote name='Strell']Import.

And no. You are wrong.[/quote]I wish you would not object to my uninformed opinion. It's quite rude.

[quote name='botticus']I wish you would not object to my uninformed opinion. It's quite rude.[/QUOTE]

A detective with an uninformed opinion!

What a Dick!

Ho ho ho!

[quote name='Strell']A detective with an uninformed opinion!

What a Dick!

Ho ho ho![/quote]
67njqyf.jpg

Releases from this year that I've bought already: Pokemon, Picross, Puzzle League, Brain Age. I'm looking forward to Zelda, FFXII: Revenant Wings, and Prof. Layton. All in all, I'd say this year is good enough.

[quote name='laaj']Maybe you burned yourself out last year and need some break from games. Before this year I haven't owned any console for 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I've played more games this year than last probably...just less on the DS.

There just haven't been many/any triple A games in the genre's I like, where as there were a handful last year.

[quote name='botticus']Sorry, bloke, but that's Europe. And terrible. :hot:[/QUOTE]

Agreed, don't think I've ever seen a game I've ever wanted to play LESS than that gay piece of shit. A whole game on quite possibly the worst character in video game history? No thanks.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed, don't think I've ever seen a game I've ever wanted to play LESS than that gay piece of shit. A whole game on quite possibly the worst character in video game history? No thanks.[/QUOTE]

Man you people are narrow.

That's the whole goddamn point. You get to control him, so you get to kill him over and over and over.

That's the BEST possible thing to do with him.

Cripes people are short.

[quote name='Strell']Man you people are narrow.

That's the whole goddamn point. You get to control him, so you get to kill him over and over and over.

That's the BEST possible thing to do with him.

Cripes people are short.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'd rather avoid it. Now if they make Manhunt 3, and the whole game is ripping his nuts off with pliers I may reconsider....

Just killing him isn't enough to tolerate looking at him. Has to be sheer unadalterated mutilation.

Not to mention buying the game just support the character and gives Nintendo more incentive to keep him around, lessen Zelda games with his presence etc.

September

DK Jungle Climber
Sonic Rush Adventure

October
Zelda: The phantom hourglass
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Chibi Robo: Park Patrol
Bleach: The Blade of Fate
Mega Man ZX Advent
Panzer Tactics
Front Mission
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 3

November
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Contra 4
Ontamarama
Mario Party
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Nintendo Magic

Like I said, a lot coming, but just nothing but Zelda that's a must buy for me. But to be fair I do have relatively narrow interests--really just platformers, action-RPGs (i.e. Zelda), sports games (suck on DS), FPS games (suck on portables), the occasional puzzler and RPGs (though less now that I have a hard time finding time to get through 40 hour games).

DQ: Joker and DK Jungle Climber are the only ones that interest me other than Zelda, which I already preordered from FV.

bread's done
Back