Anyone else a little disappointed by the lack of speed and physics in Mario Kart DS?

Sk

CAGiversary!
What gives with the total lack of speed. I'm a tad bit saddened by this. Even at 150ccs the game still seems like its on the slower side (I wasn't expecting F-zero style speed, rather I wanted something with more kick than what the game has).

Other than that Mario Kart DS is totally amazing. The level and character designs are sick. Also the graphics and effects are some of the best I've seen on the DS. In addition to all of that the game has no slowdown.

My only problems are how slow this game runs and the wacky physics. The carts just seem to stick to the track, rather than slide around like in other Mario Kart games.

Is anyone else troubled by these "Problems"? Even with these let downs (in my eyes at least) I still love the game.

Mmm, no. 150 is plenty fast for the series and the physics are spot on for a game such as this. Just enjoy it. :)

I didn't think that the higher cc's in Mariokart DS made you go any faster, I thought it made the computer harder? I never noticed a speed increase but I really don't play it all that much to begin with, so thats just my opinion.

It does seem a little slow but its not that bad. The only thing I hate about the game is that damned blue shell. I was playing last weekend and I was in first and was literally shot down by the blue shell on the finish line. Needless to say I came in 3rd and thus lost the whole circuit.

[quote name='ramprider0']I didn't think that the higher cc's in Mariokart DS made you go any faster, I thought it made the computer harder? I never noticed a speed increase but I really don't play it all that much to begin with, so thats just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Play 150 for a bit and go play 50 again. 50 plods along. I didn't notice the increase either, but going back I did.

I think the problem is that 150 is faster than 50, but its relative to the you the driver and the other racers. I mean you would notice it if you were goin at 50 speed and everyone else is at 150, but you would never win.

Still even at 150cc's the game still seems slower than past games. Then again I have been playing an overclocked version mario kart 64 thats been emulated on an x-box for sometime now. I guess I've gotten use to it. Still I wish 150cc's was blazing fast and made the karts slip around from the speed. No matter at what speed your at the karts handle the same. Its kind of annoying. I totally dominate against the CPUs because of this. I guess its time I play online.

[quote name='ramprider0']I didn't think that the higher cc's in Mariokart DS made you go any faster, I thought it made the computer harder? I never noticed a speed increase but I really don't play it all that much to begin with, so thats just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
No the difficulty setting makes the CPU's harder or easier to beat. The higher cc's make the karts accelerate faster and gain higher speeds, this also increases the difficulty because the karts are harder to control (but thats not the case in this game).

The levels, well, some of them at least, feel sort of lifeless and dull to me. The background music is too loud, they should have had better in-game sound effects instead of cranking up the BG music. I would have liked to here the kart's engine more when I acellerate, some better skid sounds, player taunts, ect to make the game more engrossing.

Also, I find that 150cc is too hard, 50cc is too slow. Plus some of the classic levels have been reduced, such as the one of GCN levels (forget the name), but in the GCN version you could risk failing by driving up either side of a bridge's archs to get a speed boost from hidden... uhh.. speed boosters, but in the DS version theres a wall there. It's little things like that which make me feel that the game is a little more lifeless than others have been in the past.

Still it's a fantastic game, and I love the missions and boss battles, but it has some unusal flaws.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']After playing Burnout 3 for so long, ANY other racer feels slower. That being said, i dont find it too slow, especially at 150cc[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, but still the game plays fine and is very enjoyable in its current state, though I must agree with the OP that the game seems a bit slower than other iterations of the franchise. The physics don't bother me though.

[quote name='Requiem']I havent noticed any issues at all. Maybe you need more practice. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Why would I need any more practice if I'm owning the CPUs with ease (I'm not bragging that their the best competition, but the game does seem slow). Once I get wireless internet I'll play online and see if the game gets more challenging.

CPU versus online is like day and night. Online people are insanely good and fast. CPU is like grandma speed

Wow! You can beat the CPUs?! Amazing!!! Now that you're done with kiddy school, go find some real people to play against. :)

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Also, I find that 150cc is too hard, 50cc is too slow. Plus some of the classic levels have been reduced, such as the one of GCN levels (forget the name), but in the GCN version you could risk failing by driving up either side of a bridge's archs to get a speed boost from hidden... uhh.. speed boosters, but in the DS version theres a wall there. It's little things like that which make me feel that the game is a little more lifeless than others have been in the past.[/QUOTE]

I noticed the speed boost from the bridge's archs missing also even the first time I played that level, can't remember the name of it ATM either. I'm also pretty sure that they got rid of the short cut near the finish line where you would come out of the pipe on Double Dash. Anyone who hasen't played Luigi Circiut on Double Dash in awhile give it a try same track yet alot different!

bread's done
Back