Anyone else connect to XBox Live the Cheap Ass way?

electronicthroat

CAGiversary!
I just bought a 360 a couple of weeks ago and I really don't have the money for the overpriced wireless adapter and don't plan on buying it. Even before I bought the 360, I was already researching cheaper ways to connect to LIVE.

I connect like this: 360-->PowerbookG4))) Airport Router. It works most of the time. I think the main problem is that I'm using the Airport router. It's not officially compatible with the 360.

Does anyone else connect like this? I do have a Linksys WRT54G router that I can try.

I've got the same Linksys router and it works fine. I think you might be having more of a problem going through your PowerBook. AirPort is just an Apple branded wireless router that fully supports 802.11b/g (and n, if you have a new one).

Keep an eye out for wireless adapter sales. I just got one at a regional store (Fred Meyer's) for $76, after it was on sale for $94.99 and a 20% off all video game accessories coupon. A good price, considering my Linksys WiFi card for my PC was $70. I would suggest, however, that you pick it up locally unless you're OK with exchanging it via mail. The first adapter I bought today didn't work. Microsoft informed me that there was a bad batch of product that was shipped out recently. The second one works like a charm, though.

[quote name='deadgopher']I've got the same Linksys router and it works fine. I think you might be having more of a problem going through your PowerBook. AirPort is just an Apple branded wireless router that fully supports 802.11b/g (and n, if you have a new one).

Keep an eye out for wireless adapter sales. I just got one at a regional store (Fred Meyer's) for $76, after it was on sale for $94.99 and a 20% off all video game accessories coupon. A good price, considering my Linksys WiFi card for my PC was $70. I would suggest, however, that you pick it up locally unless you're OK with exchanging it via mail. The first adapter I bought today didn't work. Microsoft informed me that there was a bad batch of product that was shipped out recently. The second one works like a charm, though.[/quote]

I'll keep my eye out for one of those. I also know the old XBox wireless adapter works, but doesn't support WPA encryption, which I need with me being in a row of townhomes where I can see everybody's network and they can see mine.

I got one of these :
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=377018
I guess im not that cheap at all :whistle2:(

That looks awesome. I'd love to get one of those if I had the money. :)

Linksys WRT54GS wired connection for me, though I have also used a Network Bridge with the two ethernet ports on my PC (before I had my router).

[quote name='lbradeen']Cheapest way possible, cat5.[/quote]
Yep, I got mine from monoprice.com. 50 ft cable for less than $10 shipped. Works without any problems. :cool:

I'd love to wire it but the 360 and router are on different floors.

WTF? I just thought of something while typing this. There is no computer that the router is wired to upstairs. I should just bring the router downstairs and hardwire it that way. I'm a retard. Easiest and cheapest way.

[quote name='electronicthroat']I'd love to wire it but the 360 and router are on different floors.

WTF? I just thought of something while typing this. There is no computer that the router is wired to upstairs. I should just bring the router downstairs and hardwire it that way. I'm a retard. Easiest and cheapest way.[/quote]

lol what type of router is it?

[quote name='electronicthroat']I'd love to wire it but the 360 and router are on different floors.

WTF? I just thought of something while typing this. There is no computer that the router is wired to upstairs. I should just bring the router downstairs and hardwire it that way. I'm a retard. Easiest and cheapest way.[/quote]

Dont get too hard on yourself i caught myself doing something similarly stupid.

Original Setup:

Firewall + Cablemodem in basement with a 802.11n bridge to the first floor media center. From that I discretely ran cat5 up to my office.

The 802.11n kept dropping out and I couldnt figure out what to do. after a month I realized i should just bring the modem + firewall up to my office. I'm a network administrator professionally so it was pretty ridiculous how long that took me to figure out.

I just realized that my printer IS connected to it. That's the only thing I would lose. But my wife and I both have laptops, so if we need to print something, we can just walk upstairs and connect to it.

I used to use the real cheap way which was unhooking my cable modem from my PC and hooking it up to my Xbox, no charge, not even a CAT5 cable. Now I use one of the most expensive ways which is the $100 adapter and a Dlink Xtreme N router, no complaints though.

I've got a Linksys WRT54GS router. I used to have my 360 ethernet port connected to a Linksys WET11 802.11b wireless bridge until a few weeks ago. It worked flawlessly and I only changed to the MS wireless adapter to clean up the entertainment center.

bread's done
Back