Anyone else feel this way when shopping in Best Buy or is it just me?

[quote name='The Punisher']LOL. They probably did it because they were thinking that maybe u were trying to shoplift.[/QUOTE]

"Does this Blu-Ray player stuffed down my pants make my butt look big?" :razz:

[quote name='neocisco']On the flip side, if you want some help and you're not getting any, just start typing on the computers/registers in the department. Trust me, you'll get some attention real quick. It's worked for me in the past.[/QUOTE]

LOL I did that same exact thing once (to print out a reward cert), I had no less then 5-7 employess ask if I needed help within a 5 minute time frame.

[quote name='parKer']That stinks. Kind of like how the TRU cashiers have to ask if you want to buy batteries.[/QUOTE]

I bought a play and charge kit for my wireless Xbox controller at TRU and the cashier asked me if I wanted to buy batteries for it.

[quote name='confoosious']The only time I get annoyed is when the dude at Gamestop asks me about preordering 10 different items. I actually will go to a GS where I know the guy is cool and will simply ask "You want to preorder anything today?" They have to do it because it's their job. But they don't need to be obnoxious about it.[/QUOTE]

Back when Gamecrazy still existed, I spent more time declining the cashier's continuous pitches than my total time there. No I don't want to buy an MVP membership, no I really don't want to buy an MVP membership, no I really really really do not want to buy an MVP membership, no I don't want game guard, no I'm sure don't want game guard, no I don't want to buy it used, if I wanted to buy it used I would've asked for the used copy. I almost just turned around and left without buying the game I wanted.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']I bought a play and charge kit for my wireless Xbox controller at TRU and the cashier asked me if I wanted to buy batteries for it.[/QUOTE]

oh that's nothing...I was once asked if I wanted the protection plan for an on clearance game a few years back that rang up 4.xx #-o

[quote name='Poor2More']LOL I did that same exact thing once (to print out a reward cert), I had no less then 5-7 employess ask if I needed help within a 5 minute time frame.[/QUOTE]

Lol this happens all the freaking time...might as well waste their printer ink then mine......

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I don't mean to sound like an ass, but all I'm seeing here is "HUMAN INTERACTION!!! NOOOOO!!!". [/QUOTE]

Wish best buy/walmart/microcenter had a button to press like Target where someone will be with you in 30 seconds! when you need help.

[quote name='lilytrabbit']Wait till the day where you need help and you have to walk across the entire store to track someone down for help, then we'll see a new post complaining about how you can never find help when you need it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my local Kmarts. :lol:

I just consider it part of Obama's America. I just say, "I'm just looking around, thanks". It flows from my mouth easy as a nod of the head these days. I like when people at the grocery store ask me if I need help out. I'm in my 30's (for a little while longer), and everyone tells me I look younger. I've heard people ahead of me get annoyed at that question, but it just makes me laugh. I'm just waiting for the day a hot bagger chick asks me. Yeah, that'll happen. Like they even exist.

While I find it incredibly obnoxious, not being around to give me service is far more likely to make me refuse to buy something at a store than asking if I want help. I can ignore the employee. I can't ignore trying to check out and having ZERO people at the registers, which has happened to me way too many times.

I don't get annoyed because:
1. They are just doing their job. There are mystery shoppers who will give them a bad review if they don't greet and ask about helping.
2. There are probably a lot of people who come in and have no clue where anything is or what they're looking for.
3. The average consumer is clueless to what a store even sells. I work in a 2,000 sq. foot pharmacy and cannot believe the things people ask for and expect to find there. I can only imagine what people ask about in a giant electronics store.

How hard is it to say no just looking. I'm mean it only takes 3 seconds. Dosent bother me enough to go home and post on a forum about it.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']How hard is it to say no just looking. I'm mean it only takes 3 seconds. Dosent bother me enough to go home and post on a forum about it.[/QUOTE]

Well I tell them that, but it gets annoying when they look at the stuff your holding and start jabbering about the extended warranties and as soon as you ask about how much , they put their damn sticker on the product wither you want the warranty or not. (microcenter I am looking at you)

Today I went to BB to get a copy of True Grit for my dad. Of course I pick fathers day to get a gift for my dad that everyone is getting for their dad. There was NOBODY in the dvd/blu-ray aisle, nor any in the area. I dragged one from the phone section to look in the back for an extra copy and he got one. I told the manager how awesome the employee was and left(ANGRY because True Grit went back up to 29.99 after it being 14.99 two days ago).

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Depends on the location I guess. I walked into a Wal-mart and purchased a fishing license and a 40lb bag of dog food (didn't use a cart). Paid at the cashier and pocketed the receipt.

As I'm walking out, an employee stops me at the door to check the receipt. So I'm holding the damn heavy bag of dog food on one shoulder and trying to pull the receipt out of my pocket with my other hand. I get a little annoyed, but whatever, I hand the employee the receipt and say, "Do you want to see my license too?"

That's when the employee gives me a dirty look for giving her a "sarcastic" remark and tells me, "I'm just trying to do my job."[/QUOTE]

Say "No thanks" and just walk away. They have no legal right to check your receipt. The only place that you have to let check your receipt are those warehouse stores like BJ's and Costco since the contract you sign says you'll allow them to check your receipt every time. I show my receipt if it's convenient, but if I pocketed it or put it in my wallet, I'm not taking it out again.

[quote name='GreenSpark']Wal-mart doesn't stop you at the door to check bags. [/QUOTE]

Mine has before. Depending on your state, they might not be allowed to :D I told them that if they plan on illegal search that I would call the police on them the second they touched my possessions or my person. I also said if they intend on detaining me I will charge them with kidnapping. Seriously, look into your state laws, some states *do* let places search you/your stuff, but a lot don't. Know your rights, if a store goes too far, stop them. Just know if your state allows them to do things and you resist, well, yea. Bad idea.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Say "No thanks" and just walk away. They have no legal right to check your receipt. The only place that you have to let check your receipt are those warehouse stores like BJ's and Costco since the contract you sign says you'll allow them to check your receipt every time. I show my receipt if it's convenient, but if I pocketed it or put it in my wallet, I'm not taking it out again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='georox']Mine has before. Depending on your state, they might not be allowed to :D I told them that if they plan on illegal search that I would call the police on them the second they touched my possessions or my person. I also said if they intend on detaining me I will charge them with kidnapping. Seriously, look into your state laws, some states *do* let places search you/your stuff, but a lot don't. Know your rights, if a store goes too far, stop them. Just know if your state allows them to do things and you resist, well, yea. Bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Uh, not quite. You guys should read up on shopkeeper's privilege. That's an age old legal right. They can definitely step in your way and ask to see your receipt. And if you refuse, they can take reasonable measures to detain you as well because when someone refuses to show their receipt in a situation like that, you definitely have reasonable belief that shoplifting has occurred. States may limit the extent of the shopkeeper's privilege by statute but I'd be absolutely shocked if any state outright eliminated the privilege because then there would be zero incentive to open any kind of store.

Don't give people shitty incorrect information. Just show the person a receipt, and if that's too much hassle for you, shop somewhere else.

[quote name='kodave']Uh, not quite. You guys should read up on shopkeeper's privilege. That's an age old legal right. They can definitely step in your way and ask to see your receipt. And if you refuse, they can take reasonable measures to detain you as well because when someone refuses to show their receipt in a situation like that, you definitely have reasonable belief that shoplifting has occurred. States may limit the extent of the shopkeeper's privilege by statute but I'd be absolutely shocked if any state outright eliminated the privilege because then there would be zero incentive to open any kind of store.

Don't give people shitty incorrect information. Just show the person a receipt, and if that's too much hassle for you, shop somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no. How about you don't give people shitty incorrect information? Unless the store has reasonable proof other than "You're not showing your receipt" to think you're shop lifting, then they can't do shit. Shopkeeper's privilege can be used in other scenarios, but by no means can they be used for not showing your receipt.

Here are some basic rules that stores have to go by to protect themselves from false arrest civil suits for holding customers hostage.

• You must see the shoplifter approach the merchandise
  • You must see the shoplifter select the merchandise
  • You must see the shoplifter conceal or convert the merchandise
  • You must maintain continuous observation of the shoplifter
  • You must observe the shoplifter fail to pay for the merchandise

They can't hold you under arrest or as a hostage just for not showing a receipt. You are not obligated, under any circumstances, to show a receipt once you have paid for your items. Edit - Unless you signed a contract.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Uh, no. How about you don't give people shitty incorrect information? Unless the store has reasonable proof other than "You're not showing your receipt" to think you're shop lifting, then they can't do shit. Shopkeeper's privilege can be used in other scenarios, but by no means can they be used for not showing your receipt.

Here are some basic rules that stores have to go by to protect themselves from false arrest civil suits for holding customers hostage.

• You must see the shoplifter approach the merchandise
  • You must see the shoplifter select the merchandise
  • You must see the shoplifter conceal or convert the merchandise
  • You must maintain continuous observation of the shoplifter
  • You must observe the shoplifter fail to pay for the merchandise

They can't hold you under arrest or as a hostage just for not showing a receipt. You are not obligated, under any circumstances, to show a receipt once you have paid for your items. Edit - Unless you signed a contract.[/QUOTE]

At common law, for shopkeeper's privilege to apply:
1. There must be a reasonable belief as to the fact of theft
2. The detention must be conducted in a reasonable manner and only nondeadly force can be used; and
3. The detention must be only for a reasonable period of time and for the purpose of making an investigation

While every state's statutes will vary, here's the relevant portion of California's codification of common law:

(1) A merchant may detain a person for a reasonable time for the purpose of conducting an investigation in a reasonable manner whenever the merchant has probable cause to believe the person to be detained is attempting to unlawfully take or has unlawfully taken merchandise from the merchant's premises.

(2) In making the detention a merchant, theater owner, or a person employed by a library facility may use a reasonable amount of nondeadly force necessary to protect himself or herself and to prevent escape of the person detained or the loss of tangible or intangible property.

(3) During the period of detention any items which a merchant or theater owner, or any items which a person employed by a library facility has probable cause to believe are unlawfully taken from the premises of the merchant or library facility, or recorded on theater premises, and which are in plain view may be examined by the merchant, theater owner, or person employed by a library facility for the purposes of ascertaining the ownership thereof.

(4) A merchant, theater owner, a person employed by a library facility, or an agent thereof, having probable cause to believe the person detained was attempting to unlawfully take or has taken any item from the premises, or was attempting to operate a video recording device within the premises of a motion picture theater without the authority of the owner of the theater, may request the person detained to voluntarily surrender the item or recording. Should the person detained refuse to surrender the recording or item of which there is probable cause to believe has been recorded on or unlawfully taken from the premises, or attempted to be recorded or unlawfully taken from the premises, a limited and reasonable search may be conducted by those authorized to make the detention in order to recover the item. Only packages, shopping bags, handbags or other property in the immediate possession of the person detained, but not including any clothing worn by the person, may be searched pursuant to this subdivision. Upon surrender or discovery of the item, the person detained may also be requested, but may not be required, to provide adequate proof of his or her true identity.

(7) In any civil action brought by any person resulting from a detention or arrest by a merchant, it shall be a defense to such action that the merchant detaining or arresting such person had probable cause to believe that the person had stolen or attempted to steal merchandise and that the merchant acted reasonably under all the circumstances.
Probable cause is the factual and practical considerations of everyday life on which reasonable and prudent men act. - The reasonable belief described at the common law.

If you purchase a giant bag of dog food at the back register of a Wal Mart then walk to the front, you refuse to show your receipt, and you keep making a bee line toward the door, the employee certainly has reasonable belief / probable cause to believe that you're attempting to steal the bag of food.

Same shit at Target if you buy a video game in the electronics section then walk to the front and out the door with it. A Target rent a cop could ask you to see your receipt and if you don't show it, he'd definitely have reasonable belief / probable cause to detain you further.

The detention is not an arrest. Its supposed to be reasonable to determine whether or not you've stolen the shit. Its completely reasonable to step in front of you, say "Excuse me sir, may I see your receipt for that item?" and expect it to be shown to you.

If the above isn't enough proof for you, have you ever step foot inside a Fry's Electronics? You make a purchase, they check your receipt and your bag before you walk out the door to make sure you didn't swipe anything extra and to make sure you have the correct items in your bag. No one ever signed a contract to have your receipt checked with them.

Same thing at Best Buy. Certain purchases will trigger the dude in the yellow shirt at the door to check your bag and receipt, especially if you're making the purchase at POS other than those front registers. You don't sign a contract to have your receipt checked there either.

Failure to show your receipt is definitely probable cause to detain you to further investigate whether or not you've stolen something. The next step would be to then do something like ask what cashier you purchased from and they would then confirm with that cashier that you did indeed purchase the items you're holding.

That's a reasonable investigation and the detention for such an investigation would not last very long.

Those "basic rules" you posted are not the law, they're a CYA to minimize lawsuits. But in any event a stop to check to receipt or to confirm with a certain employee that the purchase was made is completely reasonable under the circumstances, ESPECIALLY when you refuse to show your receipt.

So don't be a dick and make it harder on yourself or on the store. Just show the damn receipt because they have every right to ask to see it. You may not HAVE to show it, but should you make that decision you're just setting yourself up to be lawfully detained for a reasonable investigation.

If an employee cowers at your threat of legal action, that doesn't mean you actually know the law correctly. They likely don't know the law or they may just be gambling that the stolen goods are worth less than a potential lawsuit even if they have every right to detain you and ask for your receipt and would win in said lawsuit because of their privilege.

[quote name='kodave']
If you purchase a giant bag of dog food at the back register of a Wal Mart then walk to the front, you refuse to show your receipt, and you keep making a bee line toward the door, the employee certainly has probable cause to believe that you're attempting to steal the bag of food.
[/QUOTE]

No, that is not probable cause. If the employees saw you grab the bag of food and walk out with it without paying, then it's probable cause. I know this is shit when it comes to protecting your store from thieves, but those are the rules you have to follow unless you want a civil suit for false arrest to happen.

I'll gladly let any Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart detain me when they have absolutely no proof that I stole something. You can bet your ass I will be contacting a lawyer as soon as that happens and sue them. To have probable cause that I am stealing something they have to see me grab the item, not pay for it and walk out with it. That's how it works.

You assume that not showing a receipt is probable cause to believe someone is stealing something. It is not and it has been proven time and time again by ordinary citizens suing these big box retailers and winning. If you don't believe me, read the Consumerist every once in a while. There are stories like this at least two or three times a month with the customer being detained always winning the law suit.

One story that comes to mind was one about 4 months ago. A guy was detained for not showing his receipt. His reasoning was that he was buying something that he didn't want the person at the front door to see. It was a privacy issue. I have no idea what the hell he was buying, but he was detained by the store. They wouldn't let him leave. He called the cops and told them he was being detained by the store. The cops arrived and gave the store shit for illegally holding someone hostage. Not showing a receipt isn't probable cause. Get that through your thick skull, please.

Edit - I cannot type probable cause at all... Ends up coming out as Probably all the time.

And to try put an end to this conversation, because I know you won't admit your wrong (Google it all you want, not showing a receipt isn't probable cause), I almost always show my receipt. Like I said before, if it is in an inconvenient place, such as my pocket and I'm walking out with something that weighs 40 lbs, then I'm not going to stop. Same thing goes if there's a line of customers waiting to get their receipts checked. I will walk around the line. I'm not wasting my time for something I'm not obligated to do.

[quote name='DarkRider23']No, that is not probable cause. If the employees saw you grab the bag of food and walk out with it without paying, then it's probable cause. I know this is shit when it comes to protecting your store from thieves, but those are the rules you have to follow unless you want a civil suit for false arrest to happen.

I'll gladly let any Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart detain me when they have absolutely no proof that I stole something. You can bet your ass I will be contacting a lawyer as soon as that happens and sue them. To have probable cause that I am stealing something they have to see me grab the item, not pay for it and walk out with it. That's how it works.

You assume that not showing a receipt is probable cause to believe someone is stealing something. It is not and it has been proven time and time again by ordinary citizens suing these big box retailers and winning. If you don't believe me, read the Consumerist every once in a while. There are stories like this at least two or three times a month with the customer being detained always winning the law suit.

One story that comes to mind was one about 4 months ago. A guy was detained for not showing his receipt. His reasoning was that he was buying something that he didn't want the person at the front door to see. It was a privacy issue. I have no idea what the hell he was buying, but he was detained by the store. They wouldn't let him leave. He called the cops and told them he was being detained by the store. The cops arrived and gave the store shit for illegally holding someone hostage. Not showing a receipt isn't probable cause. Get that through your thick skull, please.

Edit - I cannot type probable cause at all... Ends up coming out as Probably all the time.[/QUOTE]

Do you realize how impossible it would be to ever nail ANYONE for shoplifting if any part of your chain is broken?

You're a fool and yeah, go ahead and sue them and waste your money and time. You'd lose in an instant.

Also, don't assume the cops even understand the law correctly. The Consumerist isn't a source of law. The stores probably had the right to stop and detain, but their detention was probably unreasonable at a certain point.

For instance:

They admitted they had no probable cause. They lost. Duh. Say you buy a video game at Target. You pay at the front check out. Security sees you waiting in line, stopping at the register, etc. Security then asks for your receipt for the game. NO PROBABLE CAUSE.

You come speed walking from the back of the store with a video game in hand, no bag, and you're darting for the front door. You refuse to show your receipt. PROBABLE CAUSE TO STOP YOU TO DETERMINE THAT YOU DID INDEED PAY FOR IT.

Here the cops were idiots and detained someone to force them to comply with a store policy. That's not what public police are supposed to do. Here, the cops lose.

I don't even need to read more than three sentences. The reasonable investigation would have been checking the receipt offered by the customer and moving on. But I did read more and Macy's shoplifting detectives totally went beyond what was reasonable in detaining her.

The reason the stores failed ISN'T because they asked to show the receipt. The reason is because they went and did something totally unreasonable and unjustifiable under the circumstances.

Probable cause or a reasonable belief is going to vary under EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE. There is no and can be no blanket rule.

WalMart had every right to detain the poster who purchased the dog food since he did it in the back of the store, wasn't walking out with any WalMart bag that indicated he perhaps purchased other merchandise, etc. If he refused to show his receipt they had every right to detain him for literally a couple of minutes to have someone check with the cashier that he did purchase the dog food.

Like I said, you don't HAVE to show your receipt but then you open yourself up for detention should other facts give them a reasonable basis to think you are trying to steal it. To repeat myself - again, purchasing the video game at Target at the front register where its obvious you went through the chopping block isn't probable cause. You speed walking to the front of the store, walking through the entrance area, and darting for the door IS REASONABLE BELIEF even if you did pay for it at the electronics register.

Get that through your thick skull. It's not failure to show the receipt alone. It's your actions that lead them to say "Show me your receipt" and if you refuse, they can detain you further than the 10 seconds it takes to flash the receipt.

But please please please please sue a store for false imprisonment after you refuse to show your receipt and they momentarily detain you to check with a cashier then let you go two minutes later, and let us all know when you do. That way I'll have time to prepare myself for the epic lulz as you waste thousands of dollars on an attorney just to get the suit tossed out immediately. Fool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love how your argument right now encompasses stupid scenarios that would most likely never happen to try and persuade me. We started off with "Showing a receipt isn't a legal obligation" and "They can't detain you for just not showing a receipt." Now, it's becoming a "let's make up weird scenarios where someone is trying to run out of the door with a dog of bag food." That's not the same as what we started with. That's not the same as "not showing your receipt."

WalMart had every right to detain the poster who purchased the dog food since he did it in the back of the store, wasn't walking out with any WalMart bag that indicated he perhaps purchased other merchandise, etc. If he refused to show his receipt they had every right to detain him for literally a couple of minutes to have someone check with the cashier that he did purchase the dog food.
No, that is not probable cause. An employee has to see you pick it up, not pay for it and walk out with it. There is no gray area here. You can't be detained for just not showing a receipt. If an employee watched you grab the food and walk out, they have every legal right to detain you. It's not my problem that Wal-Mart has registers in the back and front and they have to be on the lookout for people that might be trying to pull off this theft. I'm not going to waste my time and wait in a damn line or inconvenience myself when I don't have to.

Like I said, you don't HAVE to show your receipt but then you open yourself up for detention should other facts give them a reasonable basis to think you are trying to steal it. To repeat myself - again, purchasing the video game at Target at the front register where its obvious you went through the chopping block isn't probable cause. You speed walking to the front of the store, walking through the entrance area, and darting for the door IS REASONABLE BELIEF even if you did pay for it at the electronics register.
And again. You are trying to throw "other facts that give them a reasonable basis" into this "debate." This was not what we started with. We started with "Not showing your receipt isn't probable cause." Stop trying to change what we're talking about -_-.

It's your actions that lead them to say "Show me your receipt" and if you refuse, they can detain you further than the 10 seconds it takes to flash the receipt.
I'll make sure to PM you next time they detain me then, bro.

Generally speaking, at Best Buy, I am a bit annoyed when I'm shopping and reps come up to ask me if I need help, but that's nothing compared to the gross incompetence of their reps in general when I decide to take them up on their offer. Want Best Buy reps to stop bugging you on your trip, just take them up on their offer for help the very first time they ask. They'll be on their smoke break as soon as they tap a few keys on a computer and report back to say an item is out of stock (and no...it's never out of stock).

Best Buy offers Scratch Protection for DS and 3DS games.

With that policy in place, they're either really eager for an upsell, or there are some customers that need all the help they can get.

At retail stores like Best Buy, employees are hounded by district managers to constantly be communicating with their customers. They're given hell if they don't comply. It doesn't matter at all if they're commissioned or not.

Another thing is thing is that there are LOTS customers who are extremely uptight and expect employees of any store to suck their dicks the moment they walk through the door. Just a few days ago I was in GameStop, browsing through their used games, when a man next to me, who had been in the store all of 2 minutes with his kids started mouthing off. He started saying, "wow, not a single employee has assisted me yet." His kids replied, "they're busy at the counter." He then said, "I don't care if their busy. If I'm spending money here, they better come and take care of me."

I found that extremely obnoxious, as the employees were busy at the counter, and this man for some reason thinks he deserves the royal treatment for just walking through the door.

Honestly, I don't want to be bothered either when I'm browsing in retail stores. But there are a lot of customers who consider it an insult not to be approached. I used to work in retail, and it was hard for me to approach customers, because I myself felt like I would be bothering them, but I was CONSTANTLY threatened with being fired if I did not.

My point is, you may find it slightly annoying, but I encourage you just to offer a simple, "no thanks." Because I promise you, the employees have it a lot worse than you. Such is the world of retail. Employees mean nothing to their store if they're not doing every single thing they possibly can to extract one extra cent from your wallet, including kissing the ground you walk on.

I would much rather have 10 people offer me help when I don't need it, then for it to be like Walmart when I can't find something, or need something in a locked cabinet, and there isn't anyone anywhere to be found to help me...

It annoys me sometimes, but it's better than the alternative. Whenever I used to go into CompUSA, they'd avoid me like I was the plague. Half the time I actually did need help in that store, and the employees were standing around like a middle school dance. I never went in there unless I knew what I was getting and left (although I got an old PC game there once that was no longer in their system for .01 lol).

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']I would much rather have 10 people offer me help when I don't need it, then for it to be like Walmart when I can't find something, or need something in a locked cabinet, and there isn't anyone anywhere to be found to help me...[/QUOTE]

This is true, if there's one thing I can't stand it's when you go to a store like Wal-Mart which keeps items locked up behind a glass case, and the person at the counter doesn't have the key, so they have to call someone who has to call someone else who has to call the supervisor who has to call the guy who closed the night before only to find out he took the key home with him by mistake. Sure, they might have a spare, but it's in a different office and the manager doesn't want to go look for it, and would rather just tell you that they can't sell you what you want right now.

I don't mind when store employees approach me and ask me if I need help. I do, however, get annoyed when they continue to bother me after I say "No thanks, I'm just browsing". It gets especially bad when they bug you about joining their rewards programs and pre-ordering games that you have no intention of purchasing. Gamestop is obviously the worst with this, but it happened to me at Best Buy the other day.

"I'm just browsing, thank you" usually sends them off. I'd prefer they not bother, but while I might not have needed assistance, a shopper next to me actually did.

The clueless guy ended up asking a bunch of questions, and the patient BB employee took him around to pick up various items. There's a taker eventually when you ask enough times.

[quote name='kingtut313']just say 'no thanks' and keep it moving

whats the problem[/QUOTE]

CAGs have delicate sensibilities.

Always happens no matter where you are for electronics. They are like vultures. Sad thing is, when you actually do need help they are never around. I really don't shop there anymore as their service is horrible.

You could always do what George Carlin did, when they ask if you need anything, just go

"ARE YOU OPEN ON THURSDAY??!#%$#%^&"

Then when they answer, just run away. Let them figure it out.

I actually like being approached at my Best Buy, unless you can obviously tell the employee is being forced to talk to you. I mean, I got the special employee who after I paused to think about it was special/challenged.

I ask the guy about a particular sale and he looks at me like I just called his mama fat or something. I felt like apologizing just for even asking about the sale. I just left instead of buying anything that day.

Overall, I don't mind as long as the employee wants to burn time. I mean, just go stand and socialize/gossip like my local Sears employees used to do a long time ago. If I need you, I'll get you to help me.

Interesting.

My approach is to just be friendly, and I will usually chat up the employees in Gamestop or Best Buy (Gaming Dept) in my neighborhood (both 5 mins away from home) and now they all know me as a regular in those stores, so they will either:

1) Point me out to the new/good unadvertised deals,
2) Hook me up with swag, bonus content, freebies by keeping it on the side.

FYI I live in NYC where most ppl will respond like a/s/sholes, so if you are nice to ppl, ppl will respond nicely. I think nowadays, we're so used to shopping/banking online, and don't need to interact as much with ppl as we did maybe 30 years ago, we're much more sensitive about personal space or don't want to be bothered.

Op, instead of thinking of them as annoyances, just look at it from their perspective. Better for them to err on side of "overly-available" than to get complaints of "can't find help on floor".

Another example to being friendly with these BB employees in Gaming-

They will scan the @Gamers coupon for me w/o me buying the mag.

bread's done
Back