Anyone else have eye pain from using a DS Lite?

pigeon12

CAGiversary!
Hello,

I noticed a problem as I was playing through DQ 9. My right eye started to bother me some during and then after playing the game. My maximum playing time per sitting might have been too much at certain points (upwards of 2-3 hours) and that maybe cutting down each session could help. I also thought maybe the screen is just too small for my slowly getting older eyes (32). I don't want to trade it away, but I also don't want to be in pain from my favorite hobby. Have a great day!

It's eyestrain. It could be a combination of things you already mentioned. Screen size, your eyes, length of gaming sessions. Do you play in the dark? I do that sometimes before going to sleep but I keep it under an hour and turn the screen brightness down. If there is glare on the screen that can cause eyestrain too. This is gonna sound like a Nintendo manual, but take a break to rest your eyes once in a while.

Slidecage's grammatically-educated older brother, is that you?

2-3 hours doesn't sound like too long unless you were tired/strained to begin with. Taking a 5 minute break every 30 minutes may help, going to the eye doctor to have your eyes checked may also be beneficial. Low-strength generic reading glasses might be all you need for now.

Thanks, guys. I will try to keep my gaming sessions down. I do wear glasses for long distance, so I think I might have to try wearing them when I play. Take care!

werid thing is im getting the same problem from the DSI XL though i dont play it as long..

If i play it at an hour at a time and then look at something on the other side of the room , my far vision is sort of blurred..... So im taking my time down to 30 mins and resting 30 mins

i never had a problem with the DS lite or the GBA or any of the other smaller handheld systems ..

though when i play some imagne rock band on the DS lite my left eye hurt (then again it might of knew how bad that game was and was trying to rip itself out to escape from the game :)

Seems to be a toss up on what is a better systems on the eyes the DSI or DSI XL i called up a few eye doctors and its mostly split 50 / 50

Some say the DSI XL would be better cause of the bigger print while others have said having a bigger screen near your face could damage your near vision and go with the DSI

the more i think about it i dont think holding a bigger screen nearer to your face can really hurt your eyes cause look at your PC monitor its just a tiny bit farer away then you would hold the Game systems and a lot of people stare at these 8 hours a day

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']Seems to be a toss up on what is a better systems on the eyes the DSI or DSI XL i called up a few eye doctors and its mostly split 50 / 50[/QUOTE]

I would have thought a 50% even split between eye doctors would be 20/20.

[quote name='Kerig']I would have thought a 50% even split between eye doctors would be 20/20. [/QUOTE]
Zing!

I do not, but I have a friend that says he does after an hour or so of playing.

The longest I may play the DS in a row is two hours and I have never experienced any issues, whether it is hand cramping or eye straining.

bread's done
Back