Anyone else having bad luck with UPS recently?

megashock5

CAGiversary!
A week or two ago I placed anorder with Lego.com (Christmas presents for my son and nephew). According to UPS, it was delivered last friday and left on the front porch. We were home within an hour of the supposed delivery and never saw a single box. I spent two days on the phone with them this week and there answer is, "he said he delivered it"

Now, it's possible that they delivered it and someone took it. But the neighborhood I live in is pretty much all families with young children and some older couples. The kids are really too young to be running around without their parents.

Luckily the people at Lego.com were very nice and helpful and they're resending the order.

Today my brother in law finds out that a package he was expecting for his wife's birthday is "lost" according to UPS. So he's been going around and around with them and finally got the shipper to resend the package.

Now I just got an email from my wife at work who sent some artwork to a publication via UPS 2-day air. It took 5 days to get there (not 2) and was damaged. The envelope was torn, the CD is missing and the remaining
contents are dirty and torn.

That's a decent amount in one week. Anyone else having any trouble with them recently? Just seems odd. I haven't had any trouble in the past.

They seem to like drop kicking people's packages. I ordered a guitar a few months ago and I'm lucky it came in a hardshell case. The cardboard it was shipping in was about 20% torn away/beaten. One of my college textbooks arrived via UPS ever so bent.

fucking hate them.

This is why I've been sticking with USPS lately. It might be expensive compared to UPS & Fedex sometimes, but at least I don't get shit damage cause UPS employees like to play kickball with packages.

Last time I used UPS was to swap a PS2 and the refurbished came back with a cracked motherboard and casing. Needless to say, Sony shipped another one and the CS rep sounded like it happens a lot with UPS.

I've never had a single problem with damage via UPS but GETTING my packages has been difficult at times. I swear, having to pick shit up at their pickup locations is like pulling teeth, even when you follow their rules by the book.

Although, I can't say I am impressed with USPS either. I'm still waiting on my 360 and PS2 to arrive from D.C. I sent them last friday and haven't seen them yet. :( Of course, I sent them parcel post but I've never had anything take longer than a week unless I was sending to Canada.

They've left all of my recent packages on the front porch -- despite a prominently displayed sign asking that all packages be left at the back door. (We had at least five packages stolen from the front porch in the first year we lived here.) I also got a package last week that was very clearly slashed open with a boxcutter to reveal its contents. Luckily, whoever did it apparently wasn't interested in Lego Star Wars II.

A couple of weeks ago, the UPS man stole my step brother's cell phone (which was in the box). I'm almost sure it was him because I was home when he delivered it, so no one else had the chance to steal it. He just left the box, empty and with a huge rip on the bottom of the package.

[quote name='MidnightRain']They've left all of my recent packages on the front porch -- despite a prominently displayed sign asking that all packages be left at the back door. (We had at least five packages stolen from the front porch in the first year we lived here.) I also got a package last week that was very clearly slashed open with a boxcutter to reveal its contents. Luckily, whoever did it apparently wasn't interested in Lego Star Wars II.[/QUOTE]

They do this with me too... they just throw the package at the door and leave. I once saw them literally THROW the package onto the porch and speed off... luckily it wasn't anything fragile.

One difference between UPS and FedEx is that the drivers for UPS are union, and the drivers for FedEx are private contractors. The people who work for FedEx own their trucks, own their route, and can be reprimanded by the company for bad deliveries. UPS drivers are pretty much untouchable though.

my company just recently switched to fedex because ups lost 4 of our packages. the main office sends out medical charts to its traveling medical assistants (i live 3 hours away from the main office and we have people living up to 10 hours away from the main office so we can't just have everyone come everyday and pick up the charts) and...it's not good to lose a package full of social security numbers and medical records.

Update:

The first missing shipment (the Lego one) finally showed up. UPS delivered it to the wrong house - a house that is owned by a lady to took a job in Texas and has already moved, so her house here is for sale.

She just happened to come back this weekend to take care of some things and found the packages inside, apparently the realtor had taken them in. Who knows how long they would have been there if she hadn't come back to town.

Well, UPS did say they left it on 'the porch' - not specifically 'my porch'

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']If you've ever worked for UPS you know why all the packages are damaged and/or get lost. They don't care about anything but speed.[/quote]I can sort of vouch for this, considering safety is supposedly the priority, but speed is really number one. Safety is two.

I started working there a few weeks ago. It's not a bad job, really. I can personally say that we handle the packages fairly, but not carefully. Being an unloader, my job is to basically get the packages off the truck and onto a belt, and that's it. I personally have not seen packages getting damaged or ripped by fellow employees and also have not done so myself. However, I have handled packages that were in very poor condition. It seems that whoever is loading the trucks is at fault, not the people in my facility. Of course, I really can only vouch for my facility, but we do a decent job of taking care of shipments.

I stopped using UPS. I had bought a card on ebay that was a little over 200.00. The day it was scheduled to be delivered, it never showed. I checked the online tracking and it showed that day that the driver "forgot it" on the truck cause it was a small package. So the next evening the driver shows up and he sits there and told me he got lost the day before and couldnt find the house so he decided to go home for the night.

bread's done
Back