Anyone Else Here Ever Played Or Still Play DDR?

Ski Hawk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
145 (100%)
I've been playing for about seven years now, although sadly it seems its popularity has waned since I started. DDRFreak.com is now down, after years of activity. It was my first forum ever. So sad to see it go.

Anyways, I grew up on Extreme, and still play on it regularly at the local arcade (on the way home from college) for fun and to stay in shape. I'm pretty good at it, too:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfa1aDWyv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTnwCvD_xY&feature=channel_video_title

Anyone else have stories to share?

Had to go on vacation to find a dance machine and instead of DDR I found Pump it Up. Not too much different, 5 pads versus 4 and a slightly better variety of music I'd say. Been a while since I went someplace that had these games though. I'd love a home version if I had space for it.

I always enjoyed the home console versions up to this generation. The first three 360 games were actually quite good in my opinion (in terms of the music, the layout of the games were not as good as the PS2 versions) but it seems they would rather appeal to a trendy pop audience with their newer releases.

Yea i do. Funny yesturday I actually stopped into toys r us in times square in ny to take a piss and at the bottom floor by the ps3 area there was a DDR supernova machine . I played a match.

Played it on a weekly basis in the heyday. The decline of popularity of the game and the arcade as a whole makes it hard to find a machine nowadays. Shame because the home pad is not a good substitute for the arcade stage. I think the last time I played it was a year ago. The 5+ year layoff was not kind to me...

When I was in high school, my friends and I also used to play it weekly at this one arcade where you could get a pass to play all night if you wanted. When the first at-home version came out, this was about the time we stopped and the novelty wore off. So played give or take for almost a year between late 1999 and 2000.

I've been playing since 2003, and I still play pretty often. I use it mostly for exercise these days, but I'll still play if I see a non-Extreme arcade unit.

Going to the mall to play DDR is actually how I met my current crop of friends, whom I've known for over nine years now.

I started out with 3rd Mix, which our mall had forever until they finally upgraded to Max2. I haven't set foot on a DDR pad for close to 3-4 years now, but I'm glad I got into it when I did.

I used to be really into DDR, I got the first US game for Playstation when it was released in 2001 and then started playing 3rd Mix Korean version 2 in the arcades (I really miss that game since so many songs were never released on a console version). It had it's difficulty set to 8 so a few missed steps and you were done but was still great.

Around 2002, when it was still new to most people in the US (at least on the east coast), it was a lot of fun to play DDR on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk since you could have a crowd of 20+ people watching you even playing on Basic.

After I found out about how awesome the Japanese DDR games were, like how Max was a perfect arcade port with every song (I was very disappointed when I saw the track list for the US version of Max and none of my favorite songs from the arcade version were there), I got a Japanese PS2 with 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, Extreme and Party Collection along with a Cobalt Flux pad.

Sometime around 2005 after no new arcade releases, I kind of lost interest. I have some of the newer PS2 games but rarely play them. When I go to my local Six Flags or other amusement park, I stop to play DDR or ITG 2 but it's not like it used to be where playing DDR was more of a big deal to me than the coasters, which is kind of funny to me now because my main interest has become being a coaster enthusiast and riding coasters as often as I can and ignoring the DDR machines sometimes when I am at Six Flags.

DDR also introduced me to a lot of new music that I listed to outside of the game like the Dancemania CD's, smile.dk, Captain Jack, Bambee. I even was listening to BeForU, even though I had no idea what they were singing. For a while, DDR music was the only type of music I was listening too.

I posted on DDRFreak and IGN's DDR Board a lot and miss both boards. DDRFreak was so inactive at the end and although IGN's DDR board is still around and I check it once in a while, all the regulars from the early 2000's are no longer there.

I played DDR from 2000 till around my PS2 died on me with the disk read error (2006) after that I've slowly stopped playing till I consider myself retired in 2008 to which I didn't play DDR at all. In 2010 I tried to get back into it but my body isn't as good as it was when I was 15. I right now only play once in a while I was hoping that the ps3 mix would be good enough to warrant me to purchase ddr and try to go at a 2nd comeback but who knows for now. I was really good one of two guys in town who can AA and pass many of the max songs and such. Me and my friend were well know since many of our classmates went to pizza joints and arcades and they would see a crowd watching us play. Good times DDR good times step 1,2 step. My favorite mix was 4th mix

bread's done
Back