Anyone else keep getting BS phone calls?

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
For the past couple of months I have been receiving bullshit phone calls over and over again. These are scam type calls saying my car warranty has expired, I have won a sweepstakes, etc. They try to gather personal information and if you question them, they hang up on you. For example they said my car warranty was expiring so I said "ok tell me what type of car I drive" and they immediately hung up. I was previously only getting 1-2 a week but today I received 10 different calls from the following numbers..

888-330-4182
866-394-9194
813-315-9754

It seems to be a dialer that it just randomly calling people. A google search of these numbers will show many complaints from other people who have been called. This has nothing to do with being on the DO-NOT-CALL list because the activity the people are engaging in is illegal anyway. Anything I can do to stop these phone calls? 10 in one day is just ridiculous.

[quote name='Staind204']For the past couple of months I have been receiving bullshit phone calls over and over again. These are scam type calls saying my car warranty has expired, I have won a sweepstakes, etc. They try to gather personal information and if you question them, they hang up on you. For example they said my car warranty was expiring so I said "ok tell me what type of car I drive" and they immediately hung up. I was previously only getting 1-2 a week but today I received 10 different calls from the following numbers..

888-330-4182
866-394-9194
813-315-9754

It seems to be a dialer that it just randomly calling people. A google search of these numbers will show many complaints from other people who have been called. This has nothing to do with being on the DO-NOT-CALL list because the activity the people are engaging in is illegal anyway. Anything I can do to stop these phone calls? 10 in one day is just ridiculous.[/quote]

I get these more and more. I have a theory: Are you per chance a member of mypoints.com?

We used to get those at my work place, but we just gave the numbers to the techies and they blocked them immediately because our phones are VoIP.

I used to get calls from a credit card company even through I have never had a credit card. They would call about 10 times a day on average.

So I called them back 5-6 one hour playing this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPIy0Et75F4

They then called again and I played that for them, then called them 2-3 more times playing that song. Then they called a few hours later and I played it again. Haven't gotten a call from them since.

I played this song a few times, but it's not quite as good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bwjZXv5wl0&NR=1

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I get these more and more. I have a theory: Are you per chance a member of mypoints.com?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to crash your theory.. I am not a member of that site.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I get these more and more. I have a theory: Are you per chance a member of mypoints.com?[/quote]
Ugh, i am. That must be where they're getting my number. I keep getting that car warranty call.

[quote name='Staind204']Sorry to crash your theory.. I am not a member of that site.[/quote]
Damn it. I got the car warranty one, and thought they sold my survey info.

I asked to speak to that caller's supervisor re: the DNC list and they hung-up on me. I called them back and no-one would answer.

Some people have made quite a bit of money by taking companies to small claims court over being called while on the do not call list.

[quote name='JolietJake']Some people have made quite a bit of money by taking companies to small claims court over being called while on the do not call list.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is, no one really knows who this company is. The Do Not Call list is for real legit companies who break the law by calling people on the Do Not Call list. They can be sued since they did not obey to law. These people are a scam in the first place (trying to gather people's personal info). The people who run the company need to be put in jail.

Consumerist did a story about those car warranty calls a few days ago. I'm too lazy to search for the article, but essentially they said that it's some company spoofing numbers.

I've gotten 4-6 of them myself on my cell phone, which pisses me off.

I get those car warranty calls at work and at home. Funny thing is, I don't have a car. This is a serious problem in our society; Obama needs to look into this shit.

[quote name='Xevious']This is a serious problem in our society; Obama needs to look into this shit.[/quote]
:rofl:
Right after he pays my bills and mortgage.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']:rofl:
Right after he pays my bills and mortgage.[/quote]

I know...I wrote that in jest. Its just another one for the crap pile really..:lol:

slick why do you want those just to screw with them?
Also, I got a call from a similar number they had all of my info!!!
They said my name address birthdate etc. They were confirming I filled out a cc application which I had not done in years. Even though I told them it was probably ID theft. They were like do you still want the card?
I got a little angry at that point.

I get these calls all the time - specifically the car warranty has expired (it hasn't) and the credit card debt (I don't have one). They are always automated though and say "Press 1 now to speak blah blah blah" or Press 2/9/0 to remove your name from the call list. Of course the latter option always ends with a dial tone.

YES! Oh my God, I've been getting these calls for months and it seems like there's nothing I can do to stop it. One time I was able to tell the person that I wanted to be removed from their list and they took my number and said it was done. Within a few days, I got called by them again and any time since if I say I want to be removed they just hang up on me. A little digging turned this up as the company behind it all... http://www.royaladmin.com/

If I don't have a # programmed in my phone and the ID just shows a # and no name I never answer it. If it's someone I know calling from a different # then they'll leave a message and I'll call back. NEVER answer a call from an unknown number. I guarantee you they'll stop calling. This was happening to me a lot late last year. I never answered and it stopped.

[quote name='neocisco']If I don't have a # programmed in my phone and the ID just shows a # and no name I never answer it. If it's someone I know calling from a different # then they'll leave a message and I'll call back. NEVER answer a call from an unknown number. I guarantee you they'll stop calling. This was happening to me a lot late last year. I never answered and it stopped.[/quote]

On occasion I pick up the phone without looking at the ID (shame on me), but when I do look and don't recognize the caller ID, I will not answer.

The problem is I went out of town for a weekend and came back to six voicemails - all the same automated system asking me to call them back about credit card debt. It's ridiculous.

I'm glad it worked out for you though.

[quote name='Staind204']For the past couple of months I have been receiving bullshit phone calls over and over again. These are scam type calls saying my car warranty has expired, I have won a sweepstakes, etc. They try to gather personal information and if you question them, they hang up on you. For example they said my car warranty was expiring so I said "ok tell me what type of car I drive" and they immediately hung up. I was previously only getting 1-2 a week but today I received 10 different calls from the following numbers..

888-330-4182
866-394-9194
813-315-9754

It seems to be a dialer that it just randomly calling people. A google search of these numbers will show many complaints from other people who have been called. This has nothing to do with being on the DO-NOT-CALL list because the activity the people are engaging in is illegal anyway. Anything I can do to stop these phone calls? 10 in one day is just ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

youre not alone...

I get the same phone calls over and over again, especially the 866-394-9194. :bomb:
Finally I picked up the phone and it was a voice record message saying my car warranty expired. I was like wtf? and hung up

These calls aren't legit anyway, so putting your number on the donotcall.gov list won't really help at the moment.

If you ask to be removed and you continue to keep getting calls, you can also add a silent ringtone to the fake address book name so at least you won't be disturbed when/if they call again. You might also be able to contact your phone provider and see if they can block the number for you internally.

In addition, I found this site yesterday after I had received a call this past week: http://lisaoflongbourn.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/fight-back-against-auto-warranty-telemarketers/. Thankfully for me, it was only the second call I've received in a couple of months and I'm hoping its because I never talk to anyone and just hang up.

Is your vehicle running? You better go catch it!

I've got a couple from 8663940113 that I've never caught, but they seem to be similar.

I have a problem with Memorial Blood Centers calling me constantly. =\ I gave them blood a few times and then I moved and now they wont leave me alone.

I get the car warranty one often and its always an automated message. I hang up right away, but I'm always pissed afterward :bomb: I can definitely see older people fooled by these calls though.

[quote name='Josef']I get the car warranty one often and its always an automated message. I hang up right away, but I'm always pissed afterward :bomb: I can definitely see older people fooled by these calls though.[/QUOTE]

Just one more reason why old people shouldn't be allowed to drive/own vehicles.

Been getting calls on my cellphone from collections agencies since around October of last year. I don't have any debt. My conspiracy theory is that Verizon sold the numbers of Alltel customers when it purchased Alltel last year. Anyone else here have Alltel service?

I've set all the caller IDs to have a silent ringtone, but they can still leave voicemail and my phone beeps when they leave one. It's great how these modern cellphones have artificial limitations to prevent users from blocking these calls completely.

What I really need to do is answer these calls with a prank soundboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk60OcQENRI

I actually got a spam text message the other day asking me to register for a dating website, anybody else ever gotten these?

I receive calls about a BS car warranty thing a few times a week. It's always from a different number, too.

So far this month:
817-722-7979
909-650-9170
310-599-9159
702-520-9149
408-651-8164

I wonder if there's some pattern to the numbers chosen so someone could accurately predict whether it's a BS call or not. So far, none of them are in any of the area codes that I know people in, so that helps, but I'm wondering how long it'll last.

[quote name='Cracka']I actually got a spam text message the other day asking me to register for a dating website, anybody else ever gotten these?[/quote]

I can't tell you how much this pisses me off. I have a prepaid plan, so texts cost me more. And for reasons they won't tell me, TMobile doesn't let me text 98% of the people I want to anyway. Yet spammers are WELCOME to eat up my last few dollars of call time.

Both TMobile and the spammers can fuck off.

[quote name='neocisco']If I don't have a # programmed in my phone and the ID just shows a # and no name I never answer it. If it's someone I know calling from a different # then they'll leave a message and I'll call back. NEVER answer a call from an unknown number. I guarantee you they'll stop calling. This was happening to me a lot late last year. I never answered and it stopped.[/QUOTE]

THIS. If you answer they know it's a legit number.

bread's done
Back