Anyone else looking foward to Tony Hawk's Sk8land?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I'm digging the short video and screens that can be found on IGN.

Pics and Vids Link

I'm really happy that its 3D....I just couldn't get into the 2.5D on the GBA games. I'm also digging the cartoony cell shaded look of the new DS version. Not a lot of facial detail but as long as it plays like Tony Hawk I'm probably picking this one up.

I stopped at THPS4 but I just ordered THUG2 for $5 so maybe that will rekindle my love for the series... I don't have a DS though so I'm not so sure about this game...

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but no on has mentioned the online component yet. It's going to be the first 3rd party game to utilize the wi-fi capabilities of the DS. That along with the graphical style of the DS incarnation and the high quality of the GBA incarnations of the Tony Hawk series has me excited about this game.

[quote name='javeryh']I stopped at THPS4 but I just ordered THUG2 for $5 so maybe that will rekindle my love for the series... I don't have a DS though so I'm not so sure about this game...[/QUOTE]

ha, not with THUG2 you won't. Easily the worst Tony Hawk game. It's basically Jackass f/ Tony Hawk. But I dunno, you might like racing a guy in a wheelchair and riding around as Steve-O on a bull simulator.

[quote name='Scorch']ha, not with THUG2 you won't. Easily the worst Tony Hawk game. It's basically Jackass f/ Tony Hawk. But I dunno, you might like racing a guy in a wheelchair and riding around as Steve-O on a bull simulator.[/QUOTE]

ick. ummmm, no. For $5 though I'm willing to give it a try...

I've been interested in this game ever since I heard that they were trying to go in a different direction for the DS version. To me this indicated a genuine interest in the DS and dedication on the part of the development team to make this game stand out. The GBA incarnations were always of the highest quality, so I had no reason to expect less from the DS incarnation. The new art style, smooth frame rate and full 3-D engine had me pretty much sold, and then they came along and threw in Wi-Fi support to absolutely seal the deal.

In my eyes the online features of this game may easily top Mario Kart. Customizable boards, uploadable replays, "skate crews", custom icons, and perhaps the coolest feature of all downloadable content such as new level objectives and missions that Vicarious Visions claims will be released regularly and free of charge. All of this in addition to standard 2 player online competition and an already lush variety of options in the offline game (skate park editor on a handheld? Sweet...). Looks like a great game and it definately deserves to get more hype around here.

Just watch the presentation they gave at the Gamer's Summit a few days ago (I know IGN has it), it'll show you just how under promoted this game really is.

The game is great. I was liking it moreso than Mario Kart to be honest... and I've never played the Tony Hawk games.

Highly addictive and fun!

Just don't pay full price like a good CAGer. ;p

It is very irresponsible for them to release skateboarding games where the characters don't wear helmets.

Oh well, my position is that if someone is too stupid to protect their head it probably isn't worth protecting enyway.

[quote name='joeposh']In my eyes the online features of this game may easily top Mario Kart. Customizable boards, uploadable replays, "skate crews", custom icons, and perhaps the coolest feature of all downloadable content such as new level objectives and missions that Vicarious Visions claims will be released regularly and free of charge. All of this in addition to standard 2 player online competition and an already lush variety of options in the offline game (skate park editor on a handheld? Sweet...). Looks like a great game and it definately deserves to get more hype around here.[/QUOTE]

After reading about the online options of both, THSL does top Mario Kart DS as far as online features by a big margin. This game seems to be way more community focused than MK DS is. I'm still going to get MK DS before this game, but seeing the options and the videos of it in action, I think I will pick this game up.

Once I get money, yes, this will be mine.

Looks great, I love the Tony Hawk series, but couldn't stand the GBa games. Just not the same feel. This one looks great, and with online play!

Sounds awesome.

I loved Tony Hawk 1-4

When it turned to THUG, that's when they became desperate and lost their focus. I dont want to spend hours driving cars and walking on foot, or riding wheelchairs. It was getting stupid

But Sk8teland is a return to the original Tony Hawk styles. So it will throw out a lot of the THUG garbage and just focus on good old skating.

THPS 1, 2, and 4 I loved. The other games I felt weren't up to par on the level design, especially the THUG games. I am looking forward to this, and I hope it's not gonna suck.

...I should probably switch my Animal Crossing pre-order over to this and then try and find a deal for that next month. I didnt know about all those features before. Thanks guys.

I'm leaning more towards this game than Mario Kart DS (if I can't get both next week). I love the cel shaded look, and the fact you can ride bmx in it also, kind of like a merger of the Tony Tawk, and Mat Hoffman games.

I heard it is only straight-up skating, and there is no BMX. I thoguth I saw that in the IGN preview video

I heard it is only straight-up skating, and there is no BMX. I thoguth I saw that in the IGN preview video.

It looks like you heard right on the no bmx, guess that's what I get for going on EB's, and other retailer's descriptions. Oh well, kind of a bummer, but not enough to sway me from getting it, still looks great, and to be a fun game.

[quote name='Requiem']I heard it is only straight-up skating, and there is no BMX. I thoguth I saw that in the IGN preview video[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're right on the no BMX. Kind of a bummer, but oh well, guess that's what I get for believing the game description on EB's, and some other retailer's sites. it still looks like a fun game.

I really wasn't interested in this at all until I saw that it had more online features than MKDS. If they can deliver on everything I might have to pick this one up.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']The game looks crappy compared to THUG2 for PSP.[/QUOTE]

But considering how Glitchy and un-fun THUG2 was, i'll take a downgrade on graphics to get a good portable Hawk

The last fun TH game I played was THPS 3, which is one of my favorite games of all time. I beat the game with all of the charecters, so that I could unlock all of the hidden charecters. I then played THUG. Garbage. Who wants stealth missions in a skateboarding game? I hope this game is more in the lines of the first 3 or 4 Hawk games.

[quote name='Follandboy']The last fun TH game I played was THPS 3, which is one of my favorite games of all time. I beat the game with all of the charecters, so that I could unlock all of the hidden charecters. I then played THUG. Garbage. Who wants stealth missions in a skateboarding game? I hope this game is more in the lines of the first 3 or 4 Hawk games.[/QUOTE]

After watching a video demonstration of the game, I am under the impression that this game will indeed focus on the roots of the series. I don't think that you can leave your board in the DS version, and with the feature set on the DS game it seems that the DS game is a shift away from the underground games. Designing board art and creating parks are things that the DS seems capable of doing better than a console given its unique features. I really liked Vicarious Visions' work on the gba and I have no reason to doubt that they will produce a quality tony hawk product for the DS.

I didnt know Vicarious Visions also did Jet Set Grind Radio (which would explain the visual parallels)

I'd rather take straight skating than THUG's ridiculous stealth missions.

I'm definitely interested in it. I've played and loved all of the THPS games (except THUG2, bleh). Even American Wasteland was pretty fun. So I'll check this out if the reviews are good enough. I'm sort of worried about the controls though.

[quote name='Requiem']I loved Tony Hawk 1-4

When it turned to THUG, that's when they became desperate and lost their focus. I dont want to spend hours driving cars and walking on foot, or riding wheelchairs. It was getting stupid

But Sk8teland is a return to the original Tony Hawk styles. So it will throw out a lot of the THUG garbage and just focus on good old skating.[/QUOTE]

Check out American Wasteland on the 'Cube. It's become my (very close) second favorite Tony Hawk game behind Pro Skater 4. Yes, it's got a story mode, but it shuns most all of the Bam Margera nonsense from the THUG series and represents a big return to form for Neversoft.

Also, ya gotta love any game with the DK's "California Uber Alles" playing over the intro. :)

As for Sk8land on the DS, I'm a little chilly on it. I got burned by a couple of the THPS/THUG games on the GBA. Unlike some previous posters, I thought they did a pretty rotten job of translating the Tony Hawk experience to a portable. The feel just wasn't there for me.

Some of Sk8land's features are appealing, but I'll probably stay away.

Don't...Sk8land is awesome. Pure Tony Hawk fun. And you have the traditional behind the skater view.

And it kicks the crap out of the PSP version of THUG2. Not having to deal with load times alone makes the game better. Looks exactly like Jet Grind Radio. Since it has its own unique style, you don't really notice the downgrade in visuals (except that not much is going on in the levels). Runs at 60fps--smoove. It has a ton of options and even about 12 real songs to listen to.

The only negative is the wonky camera is a bit more jarring on the small screen.

I picked this up yesterday, and I am hating on it. The game hurts my eyes, and has a wonky camera. I haven't felt dizzy when playing a game since the first time I played a FPS back in 1994. When you go off a ramp, and land a trick the camera occasionally wigs out, usually resulting in you going in some direction that you hadn't intended. The small screens of the DS were not meant for this type of game, IMO. You really can't get a good look at your surroundings, and the environment. The game's not very challenging either. I think the developers realized the game had problems, and that's why the goals in the game are extremely easy.

It's not a bad game persay, not at all, but it just has some problems. Pick it up when you can get it for $25 or less. I'd give it a 7.5/10 still, even with it's flaws.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Usickenme, would you say it's worth a full price purchase ,wait till you find it on sale, or wait till it's bargain bin?[/QUOTE]

depends on how much you like Tony Hawk. I personally love the series and picked it up at full price w/o regrets. I'm sure Mario Kart could have kept me busying a bit longer but I've been waiting a while for this game.

Officially, wait for a sale because one will probably come before x-mas.

I started playing this. I'm digging it. I like the graphical look. The controls and feel are just like any other Tony Hawk game. I only played a little bit of the story which seemed a bit boring\easy. I definitely dig the classic gameplay on all versions of TH as opposed to the story modes. I didn't notice any camera issues.

To those who have the game, how is it?

I absolutely love THPS 1&2, I can remember pouring endless hours into them. THe more I look at the game, the more I want to pick it up. How is the multiplayer? Also, is it difficult playing with the buttons being so close to eachother?

I stil want this game

I'm waiting for the special Toys R Us deal to kick in this week, where I can buy 2 DS games (going to buy 2 copies of Animal Crossing) and get TH Skateand for free

[quote name='Requiem']I stil want this game

I'm waiting for the special Toys R Us deal to kick in this week, where I can buy 2 DS games (going to buy 2 copies of Animal Crossing) and get TH Skateand for free[/QUOTE]

What's this TRU deal?

[quote name='The VGM']I'll pick this one up when it's $10.[/quote]

lol its been over a YEAR and game price has yet to drop. it actually has increased because of the popular demand and limited supply. amazon cheapest price is like $38. i ordered it on ebay for $20 though :) got lucky nd won a nice bid :lol:

Im tired of the Tony Hawk series sadly, i just dont see why they need to come out with a new game every year. I used to get excited when a new tony hawk came out, but the last one i bought near launch was THUG. THUG was fun, but i lost touch with the series because of the yearly release thing.

[quote name='moonsoo']lol its been over a YEAR and game price has yet to drop. it actually has increased because of the popular demand and limited supply. amazon cheapest price is like $38. i ordered it on ebay for $20 though :) got lucky nd won a nice bid :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes it has been over a year, thanks for bumping this topic.

It's been $20 at Best Buy since May as an FYI for anyone still looking.

Also Tony Hawk looks like he has Downs Syndrome in this game.

bread's done
Back