Anyone else think Magnetica is the funnest DS puzzle game?

espy605

CAGiversary!
Feedback
165 (100%)
I own Meteos and Tetris, and find Magnetica is easily the funnest of the three. Although, I hate this trend on DS games where you can't put in your initials for your high scores. And Tetris doesn't even keep a top three, just a top one.

Anyway, Magnetica doesn't technically have a marathon mode but I still find it fun and challenging and the stylus control is remarkable intuitive and accurate. Meteos' control is good but for some reason it doesn't feel as accurate to me.

I find it odd that a lot of people are seriously complaining about the price. No one complained about the pricing of Meteos when it came out, although I did complain about the pricing for Tetris.

$20 DS games have spoiled us!

sorry to do a little hijack here but

well lets put it this way if anyone wants magnetica (mint complete, adult owned) in exchange for any decent NON sport NON racecar PSP game (i'd love daxter or lemmings and would kick in a little extra cash on one of those 2) feel free to PM me if you have significantly higher feed back than me i'll ship first.

now note i do like magnetica but w/ zuma on my 360 what's the real point now that i've beat it (after several hours), and I do like tetris more personally :)

My biggest problem is they are charging $30+ for a free web based game.

Then I guess you can take your laptop around with you, or if they have it for pocketpc.

Even so, a lot of people have no problems putting down $30-50 for a GBA copy of Bookworm.

now note i do like magnetica but w/ zuma on my 360 what's the real point now that i've beat it (after several hours), and I do like tetris more personally

Portability. I like Tetris too, but I actually prefer the original NES or GameBoy version to the DS one.

unnest = most fun.

That was the worstest.

[quote name='espy605']I own Meteos and Tetris, and find Magnetica is easily the funnest of the three. Although, I hate this trend on DS games where you can't put in your initials for your high scores. And Tetris doesn't even keep a top three, just a top one.

Anyway, Magnetica doesn't technically have a marathon mode but I still find it fun and challenging and the stylus control is remarkable intuitive and accurate. Meteos' control is good but for some reason it doesn't feel as accurate to me.[/QUOTE]

I really like Magnetica as well, but it is really difficult. Have you been able to get past the Normal round on Challenge mode? The highest level I've been able to get to is around 75.

I still like Meteos better, but Magnetica is definitely a fun game.

I don't own any of the 3, only Bust-A-Move DS which I've thoroughly enjoyed so far. Magnetica's supposed to be on the new DS Download Station, isn't it? I thought I saw it, Big Brain Academy, and another game on the one at the Gamestop here but it wasn't working so I couldn't try it.

I just got Meteos over the weekend, and it is taking over my brain. I plan to grab the Magnetica demo soon, but it's going to have to be SUPER AWESOME to beat Meteos, which I love in an unnatural manner.

I think I'm going to enjoy Meteos more than Tetris DS, overall.

[quote name='AshesofWake']isn't it the same thing as zuma?[/QUOTE]

You suck! As it happens, Zuma is a clone of puzzloop, which you know as magnetica. So are other PC titles such as Atlantis, Luxor, Beetle Bump, and Pirate Poppers.

I just got meteos, and I don't normally care for puzzle games, but this game is pretty damn good so far.

[quote name='godhatesjustyou']Tetris DS > Any Puzzle Game.[/quote]

I hope that was a typo... Tetris DX > Any Puzzle Game. :D

I really like Magnetica as well, but it is really difficult. Have you been able to get past the Normal round on Challenge mode? The highest level I've been able to get to is around 75.

I still like Meteos better, but Magnetica is definitely a fun game.

It IS hard. I kind of like that, though. Unlike most puzzle games, I actually feel there's a heavy element of strategy and skill involved where as a lot of puzzle games I feel rely heavily on chance. That being said, I thoroughly suck at it.

I've had Meteos for over a year and play it sometimes, but to be honest I just don't understand the game design very well which saps the enjoyment for me. I could read up on it but it doesn't seem intuitive. It's a shame though, because the same company made Lumines, my favorite puzzler of all time.

I don't own any of the 3, only Bust-A-Move DS which I've thoroughly enjoyed so far. Magnetica's supposed to be on the new DS Download Station, isn't it? I thought I saw it, Big Brain Academy, and another game on the one at the Gamestop here but it wasn't working so I couldn't try it.

I would pick up BAM DS if it was less than $10. I like BAM 1 for multiplayer, but single player is very uninteresting to me. On SNK Puzzlers I prefer Magical Drop to this if I'm playing by myself. Magnetica is on the new DS Download Station. I downloaded it highly skeptical (because I read it was similar to BAM) but it's much more enjoyable, to me anyway. The demo got me hooked and I bought it the next day.

I think I'm going to enjoy Meteos more than Tetris DS, overall.

I don't think Tetris DS is very fun at all. Multiplayer is probably very fun, but it isn't as good as classic Tetris in single player mode.

isn't it the same thing as zuma?

PopCap games has a notorious history of ripping off other ideas (some better known than others), changing them slightly and making money from them. That being said, Zuma isn't portable, and flicking the marbles is not only highly accurate and much faster, it's also really really fun. Unlike other puzzle games with many worthless gameplay modes, I actually enjoy Challenge and Quest mode.

[quote name='js1']I just got meteos, and I don't normally care for puzzle games, but this game is pretty damn good so far.[/quote]

I think I'm one of the few people that thought Meteos was meh. I bought it on release day, played it for a couple hours and just recently traded it in. Playing a puzzle game that lasts 5 minutes a pop (for me anyway) is not my idea of fun.

[quote name='espy605']Then I guess you can take your laptop around with you, or if they have it for pocketpc. [/QUOTE]

No, I won't be taking my laptop with me just to play this game, I simply won't support developers trying to rip people off, when this game drops to 10$, then I'll consider it.

[quote name='espy605']
Even so, a lot of people have no problems putting down $30-50 for a GBA copy of Bookworm.[/QUOTE]

"a lot of people" is pretty inaccurate, that game didn't sell well. Most all those expensive copies are being bought by collectors on ebay. I bought my copy for dirt cheap during one of the K-Mart clearances and I imagine in a year or so that's where I'll find this game, clearanced out somewhere for under $10.

i could give a rats ass if pop cap did what or whatever, my point was the gameplay is the same, hence I would have to disagree on the "funnest" puzzle game ever comment...

I think I'm one of the few people that thought Meteos was meh. I bought it on release day, played it for a couple hours and just recently traded it in. Playing a puzzle game that lasts 5 minutes a pop (for me anyway) is not my idea of fun.
I also wasn't a big fan.

No, I won't be taking my laptop with me just to play this game, I simply won't support developers trying to rip people off, when this game drops to 10$, then I'll consider it.
I felt the same way about Tetris DS.

My biggest problem is they are charging $30+ for a free web based game.
Like Tetris.

"a lot of people" is pretty inaccurate, that game didn't sell well. Most all those expensive copies are being bought by collectors on ebay. I bought my copy for dirt cheap during one of the K-Mart clearances and I imagine in a year or so that's where I'll find this game, clearanced out somewhere for under $10.
You're right it didn't sell well which is why it was clearanced out. But it's also very hard to find so I doubt you'll find it somewhere in a year clearanced out for under $10. Oddly enough, it's one of the few games GameCrazy won't special order. I don't think "all those expensive copies" were bought by collectors although some definitely were as it is a hard to find game, but a lot of them were bought by fans that actually liked playing it on the go.

i could give a rats ass if pop cap did what or whatever, my point was the gameplay is the same, hence I would have to disagree on the "funnest" puzzle game ever comment...

The gameplay isn't the same unless you're playing Zuma on a TabletPC.

Anyone who buys New Super Mario Brothers or Tetris DS is paying to play almost the same exact gameplay from older versions.

I didn't say it was the best puzzle game ever. I said in my opinion it was the funnest one to play on the DS. A game like Meteos might be more innovative, but for me it just wasn't as fun.

meteos rocked.. i loved how it had more of a fighting game style pace. And the Smash Bros inspired interface and music helped too. Really good one to play with friends.

[quote name='espy605']It IS hard. I kind of like that, though. Unlike most puzzle games, I actually feel there's a heavy element of strategy and skill involved where as a lot of puzzle games I feel rely heavily on chance. That being said, I thoroughly suck at it.

I've had Meteos for over a year and play it sometimes, but to be honest I just don't understand the game design very well which saps the enjoyment for me. I could read up on it but it doesn't seem intuitive. It's a shame though, because the same company made Lumines, my favorite puzzler of all time.[/QUOTE]

A game can be hard, but can ramp up the difficulty just right. Other than the training mode, Magnetica is difficult right away. I think it could have eased into it a bit better. (Again, I'm just talking about the Challenge mode.)

I do love Lumines as well, but one thing about Meteos that I like better is that the games are shorter, which I think is better suited for a handheld. Lumines can go on forever! I think Lumines II is supposed to address this issue. Can't wait for that game!

Yeah I don't think Magnetica increases difficulty gradually. It took me a lot of tries to even beat Training.

I liked how a game of Lumines could take an hour or two. And I liked how easy it was to understand how the game worked and played, and it felt like random chance played less of a role. Meteos felt really random and imprecise to me. I just didn't like the design as much.

I downloaded the demo for Magnetica at Gamestop yesterday. I really like it, definitely a fun puzzle game. Not going to spend $30 on it, but should it drop in price and I could get it cheap I'd definitely pick it up.

I downloaded the demo of Magnetica at Best Buy a couple days ago and I really liked it. Don't really want to buy another puzzle game right now, but if it ever drops to $20 I'd definitely consider picking it up.

[quote name='rlse9']I downloaded the demo for Magnetica at Gamestop yesterday. I really like it, definitely a fun puzzle game. Not going to spend $30 on it, but should it drop in price and I could get it cheap I'd definitely pick it up.[/quote]

[quote name='rlse9']I downloaded the demo of Magnetica at Best Buy a couple days ago and I really liked it. Don't really want to buy another puzzle game right now, but if it ever drops to $20 I'd definitely consider picking it up.[/quote]

WTF???

Haha, good question, I had completely forgotten that I had posted something about it. I thought that I had meant to and didn't, then earlier didn't even notice that I had posted something. My bad.

Anyway, now I gotta get back to Best Buy to download the Meteos demo before they update to the new download station.

While Magnetica is definitely better another fun puzzle type game is Break em All. It's very similar to Arkanoid or Breakout but that's not a bad thing.

Also it's only $20.00.

I downloaded the Magnetica demo from one of those download stations. I wasn't impressed. I guess if I never got into Zuma, this game wouldn't be really different.

[quote name='espy605']Yeah I don't think Magnetica increases difficulty gradually. It took me a lot of tries to even beat Training.

I liked how a game of Lumines could take an hour or two. And I liked how easy it was to understand how the game worked and played, and it felt like random chance played less of a role. Meteos felt really random and imprecise to me. I just didn't like the design as much.[/quote]

Meteos is and it isn't random. Yes its random to a "point" but the flexibility of how your able to line up three by dragging them up the screen past solid blocks. Lining up vertically and horizontally adds a lot more options to continue a run than I found with my time with Lumines. Meteos is easier for me than Lumines is though mind you I like Lumines a LOT better than Meteos. Just something about the way it switches backgrounds on you as you play music changes but stays a nice familar techno trance groove that just keeps you in the stride to play just makes it a pure joy to pick up and play when you don't wnat something that has a major plotline. Both are excelent games and will suck your life way though...not a good "lunch break" game >_> *cough*.

bread's done
Back