Anyone else with a GP2X?

I just got mine on Wednesday. Pretty cool. I'm a little confused on getting Amiga going on it but really like it so far.

I got the F-200 btw.

RC

I've been contemplating getting one for a while. How well do those things run? Also, is there a MAME port for it?

I actually found one the other day at Microcenter and it was on clearance, but still $160. It was the F100. I know the F200's are only $10 more so I resisted. I was looking yesterday into PSP emulation a little bit more and it seems like it would work out better for what I'm looking for, but I'm still really interested in the GP2X. I'm fairly sure I'll break down and buy one, but for the time being I guess I'll just have to play stuff at the house, haha.

I bought one, hahaha. I picked it up today. I woke up this morning and could no longer fight the temptation. Drove to Microcenter and scooped it up along with a 1gb SD card and a cheap ass card reader. This thing is RADICAL. This thing is pretty damn solid and the screen is amazing. I spent most of the day loading it up with some goodies, and playing around with it. The community is pretty damn large too, much larger than I had first imagined. I'm 100% satisfied so far with my investment, now if only the SNES emulation was a tad bit better. Genesis emulation is 100% too. Doom also. It's so radical.

I can't help but post again and rave about this little beast. Last night before going to bed I got the Neo Geo emulator to work as well as the PC Engine and Sega CD. I played Snatcher until the batteries died! The only qualm with the thing is that the emulators haven't been fully realized yet, as the sound in most emulators is holding it back. Once that gets ironed out (even if it doesn't) it'll be super amazing.

Groovy man. Is there a central spot to pick up emulators and the like? I am too damn old and busy to be hobbling crap together, and have it constantly breaking on me (a'la PSP emulation). If there was a central spot for downloading all the goodies, then that's huge. I assume you transfer everything over a usb cable? There's no wireless or internet connectivity on these beasts? Does it charge batteries over USB? Or does it just use straight up AA/AAA ? What's the difference in the models?

I'm almost certainly going to pick one up in the next few months. My Nomad screen is seeing a couple dead pixels, and it's only going to get worse; might as well get a versatile beast like the GP2x to handle some other emulation.

To answer your questions fuerstma:

1) There is a wiki for the GP2x @ http://wiki.gp2x.org which has basically everything you ever needed to know about the GP2X. I also hit up www.gp32x.com for their forums, which is a great place to hang around. From the wiki, they link you to a central downloading site which I think is like gp2x.de or something. Eiher way, every application for the GP2X is there.

2) It uses SD cards for storage, so you have to use a card reader. I read that you could use the GP2X as a card reader, but I didn't have any luck. You basically just put stuff on a SD card and it works. I got this really cool front-end for it that offers up a new menu system that's really slick.

3) It uses 2 AA batteries. Battery life on the thing is WAY worse than the Nomad, but then again it doesn't have a bazillion AA's in it. I got probably about 4 hours of total play time on two brand new Energizers. You can get a AC cord for it, but I don't have one.

The emulation on the GP2x isn't perfect, but the Genesis emulation is pretty much dead on. SNES works with some slow down, but if you knock out the sound and bump up the clock speed, it works like a champ.

Right now there are two models available for the GP2X, the F100 and the F200. The F-100 is what I have, and it's the black one with a joystick. The F-200 offers a touch screen and a d-pad instead of the joystick. The joystick is kinda goofy, but I got used to it. I think the F-200 may offer up a little more in the processing power, but I don't know. If you're on the fence about getting one, jump that fence my friend. I am super happy with my purchase.

bread's done
Back