Anyone ever donate hair?

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Just wondering if anyone here has. I was thinking of doing it this weekend, I think my hair is long enough (8-10 inch minimum from what I've read).

Just wondering if you did it yourself or if you went to a salon to have them cut it? Also, was your hair rejected for some reason, I read online that it's possible for hair to be rejected if it's too damaged, bleached, gray, etc. Were you notified of the rejection? I don't think my hair is damaged but reading things online made me paranoid about that.

I was just going to get a regular cut this weekend (a few inches),but thought about donating it instead. But I'd hate to lop off all my hair for it to be rejected or to have a stylist screw up the cut and drop it or the pony tail comes out and what not.

Look up "Locks of Love" to see the rules and stuff for donating. My girlfriend is about to do it and we couldn't find a salon who would take the donation around here, but apparently thats normal and most people end up mailing it into Locks of Love. Before I think a handful of salons did it all for you but now you just tell them you're donating it, and they should know how to cut it off for you. Also you should look into getting a free haircut since some places will offer free service if they know you're donating it. I only know so much because my girlfriend asked me to research it then she chickened out after she realized how long would be cut (10 inches min.) and decided to wait another month or so.

Aside from donating (which is very nice), if you're a money person I heard you can get upwards of thousands of dollars for a full head of hair. Not sure if its true though.

My wife has done it a few times. Around here they usually advertise certain days they do Locks of Love. Usually the cut is free, but they charge if you want your hair styled. And don't forget to tip also.

I was going to donate my hair a few years back, until I found out about their shady practices. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love#Criticisms

They take hair, and not only do they sell the wigs to people needing them, they sell what they deem as unusable hair to wig makers. And on top of that, the hair you donate is not tax deductible.

The better option would be to sell your hair, and donate the proceeds to cancer research or something yourself.

And yes, you can get $2k+ for hair, but you won't get anywhere near that for 8-10". Maybe a couple hundred, if even, if it's in great condition. The people who get $2k+ had a few feet of hair. Mine's probably about 2.5'~3' and I wouldn't expect it to be worth more than $1500 at the upper limit.

[quote name='elessar123']I was going to donate my hair a few years back, until I found out about their shady practices. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love#Criticisms

They take hair, and not only do they sell the wigs to people needing them, they sell what they deem as unusable hair to wig makers. And on top of that, the hair you donate is not tax deductible.

The better option would be to sell your hair, and donate the proceeds to cancer research or something yourself.

And yes, you can get $2k+ for hair, but you won't get anywhere near that for 8-10". Maybe a couple hundred, if even, if it's in great condition. The people who get $2k+ had a few feet of hair. Mine's probably about 2.5'~3' and I wouldn't expect it to be worth more than $1500 at the upper limit.[/QUOTE]

Some people's hair can't even grow to be multiple feet I believe, but man that would take years to grow it out that much. Would be nice to get that much money from hair though.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Some people's hair can't even grow to be multiple feet I believe, but man that would take years to grow it out that much. Would be nice to get that much money from hair though.[/QUOTE]

Mine's been growing for about 5 years, so yea, you won't make a living off of it =P

[quote name='elessar123']I was going to donate my hair a few years back, until I found out about their shady practices. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love#Criticisms

The better option would be to sell your hair, and donate the proceeds to cancer research or something yourself.[/QUOTE]

Or donate to an alternative charity like Wigs For Kids.

http://www.wigsforkids.org/

[quote name='elessar123']Mine's been growing for about 5 years, so yea, you won't make a living off of it =P[/QUOTE]
It must take forever take forever to wash all that hair in the shower.?

[quote name='CouRageouS']Look up "Locks of Love" to see the rules and stuff for donating. My girlfriend is about to do it and we couldn't find a salon who would take the donation around here, but apparently thats normal and most people end up mailing it into Locks of Love. Before I think a handful of salons did it all for you but now you just tell them you're donating it, and they should know how to cut it off for you. Also you should look into getting a free haircut since some places will offer free service if they know you're donating it. I only know so much because my girlfriend asked me to research it then she chickened out after she realized how long would be cut (10 inches min.) and decided to wait another month or so.[/QUOTE]

yeah ive looked at a couple charities and their rules. seems pretty straight forward and from what i've read it look like i'll be mailing it myself.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']My wife has done it a few times. Around here they usually advertise certain days they do Locks of Love. Usually the cut is free, but they charge if you want your hair styled. And don't forget to tip also.[/QUOTE]

definitely something to look into, i wouldnt need to style it after, just even it out.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']Or donate to an alternative charity like Wigs For Kids.

http://www.wigsforkids.org/[/QUOTE]

havent decided on a specific charity. but i'll be sure to find out as much as i can about them first.

I came to the same conclusion about Locks of Love when my wife cut her hair. You're better off selling it and donating the money to a worthwhile cause.

My daughter donated her hair from her very first haircut two years ago when she was 4, and just did again over the summer. The local salon that my wife takes her to does it. The cut is free, but the style, wash and tip is extra.

[quote name='HarryManback']Do they take body hair? :booty:[/QUOTE]

Sadly the first thing I thought about was the "taint" hair. :whistle2:#

[quote name='cochesecochese']How often do you get it cut?[/QUOTE]

I actually haven't had a haircut in 3 years... I need one to take off a few inches, cause while it used to be great, the bottom has split ends now.

bread's done
Back