Anyone ever legally change their name?

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I was thinking about changing my last name. Half joking, half serious. I've briefly looked into it (meaning I googled it one afternoon), and it seems like quite the process.

I was just wondering if any CAGs have done it or thought about it. How was the experience, was it worth it, do you regret it, etc etc.

My best friend did it when he turned 18. He waited because his birth name was from his father he never knew and apparently they would have had to get his father's permission to change his name as well. Its strange though because he went through the school system, got a couple jobs, etc using a name that wasn't legally his until he turned 18.

Seemed like a process though. They had to put an announcement in the paper and do something in court IIRC. Funny thing is he also tacked in a middle name. Nothing crazy but he just added it for sake of adding it.

One of my roommates in college was going to school to be a teacher, the only problem is, his last name was Dick. He grew up getting called every cock-related comment you can think of and did not want that to continue during his teaching career.

He didn't pick anything cool, it was actually really lame. I would have gone with McThundercrotch.

Ah, I also had a point. It was a real bitch to change his credit card forms, student loan information, social security card, driver's license, library card, Busch Gardens annual pass, and every other document that has your name on it. He also had to justify to every single person he knew before his name change as to why he had to change his name in the first place.

I guess it's worth it if people don't call you Mr. Cockface anymore.

I know a chick that made her future husband change his last name (wetz) cause she didnt like it. they went with a step fathers name or something. lol. no clue if it was a bitch to do.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']I know a chick that made her future husband change his last name (wetz) cause she didnt like it. they went with a step fathers name or something. lol. no clue if it was a bitch to do.[/QUOTE]
He definitely was a bitch to do it.

[quote name='Brak']He definitely was a bitch to do it.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'd be like, BITCH, fuck you; make me a sandwich and iron my shirts.

McLovin-Driver-License.jpg

My parents procrastinated after I was born and I ended up only having my last name on my birth certificate. I don't mean they couldn't decide for the first few weeks. They knew what my name was within a few days, but they didn't turn the paperwork in within the FIVE YEAR DEADLINE they were given.

The time finally came to enroll in college and I didn't want my state ID to just have a surname so we went through the process. It was fairly easy to start. Filled out some paperwork, submitted it with a copy of my original birth certificate, paid some cash, and went in front of a judge [the following is not an embellishment or exaggeration]:

Judge: As a formality I have to ask, are you requesting this change of name to escape prosecution in any city, state or country?
Me: I did shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Judge: [pause] I'm going to give you an opportunity to answer that question seriously, and I hope you take it this time. Are you requesting this change of name to escape prosecution in any city, state or country?
Me: [pause] No sir.

Luckily he had a sense of humor, even though his sense of duty dictated he mask it. Anyhow, my parents didn't turn in the finalized paper work within the ONE YEAR DEADLINE (told you they were procrastinators), so there are still agencies out there that have my incomplete name and won't change it due to several catch 22s in the system. I occasionally get no-hits on my credit when applying for loans (Transunion is a motherfucker to get a hold of, and even worse to correct things with), and getting a passport is proving to be a job and a half.

So take it from me---take it very seriously, do it all yourself, and turn in your goddamn paperwork within the VERY GENEROUS DEADLINE they will give you.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Change your name to Obi Wan![/QUOTE]

EDIT: I live in Tucson, AZ and there's a guy who lives here that did that to win tickets to a screening of Episode I back in the day. Kept it that way too. I think he works for one of the radio stations now.

I also know a guy whose real name is "Max Paradise". Most awesome name ever.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']One of my roommates in college was going to school to be a teacher, the only problem is, his last name was Dick. He grew up getting called every cock-related comment you can think of and did not want that to continue during his teaching career.

He didn't pick anything cool, it was actually really lame. I would have gone with McThundercrotch.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Reminds me of my study hall teacher in high school. Not sure if it was really his first name or just a nickname, but his name was Chip Dickey.

My folks changed mine when I was sixteen to a more traditional east indian name(Robert->Robinder). it was kind of a bitch, not gonna lie, having to explain it to the countless people who ask, because believe me, they will ask. Gettin new licences, credit cards, etc. is a pain in the ass and you are given a certificate of name change(at leastup north in Canada) and it was just another government issued piece of paper I had to take care of and take with me when I applied for passports and whatnot. That being said, I'd put up with that to make my name Obi-Wan.

Go to whitepages.com and try searching for some unusual names. I actually found a few Max Paynes in the area.

I knew a girl from HS whose name was Anita Ho. If there ever was someone in need of a name change... but then again, I guess for girls it's "easier" to just get married. Hope she doesn't marry a Mr. Blojob.

I've never liked any part of my name, as far back as I can remember. I'd happily change it but I've come too far on this old horse. People would ask me, "I see here on your CV you refer to a Mr. Dothog," and I'd be like, "Oh, *that* guy."

The paperwork is to be expected, so I'm not surprised it's a pain with banks and such. But I when I think about the most daunting part about it would be explaining it to people. Not so much my close friends and immediate (I'm sure they wouldn't bust my balls much one way or the other) but the acquaintances and coworkers and such asking why could get frustrating quick.

But hey, it's just an idea floating around my head so who knows. Theres nothing wring with my name, I just think it'd be neat to pick my own.

I knew a guy in HS named Ho Wang............

My old sup from the census initials were KKK. That's fucked up...but I guess she's been teased about it for years that she finally embraced it.

Around half a year before we got married, my wife and I seriously were considering both changing our last names when we got married. She didn't really like my last name (Moyer), didn't want to do the hyphen thing, and thinks it's pretty sexist for the woman to almost always take the man's name. I agree on all points, especially the sexist part. It's pretty ridiculous, actually.

Anyways, we just wanted to come up with a completely different last name, and we would both take it and start our family that way. Well, needless to say, it didn't happen. When I casually mentioned it to my parents, they started freaking out. Both of them were crying, sobbing really.. after a week or two we told them it was OK, we wouldn't change it, we would just both be Moyer. That's what we ended up doing, for their sake. I honestly thought my dad was going to have a stroke. He wasn't mad or anything. Just really upset that I was his only son, so the "Moyer" name would not live on past me. I don't really see it that way, it's just a name... but I caved to appease him.

It doesn't really bother me anymore that we just went with Moyer. I don't care for the name, really.. because honestly, there's a TON of them where I live (first in Schuylkill County, PA now in Dauphin County.. not as many here, I guess).

[quote name='Biglesworth23']Around half a year before we got married, my wife and I seriously were considering both changing our last names when we got married.[/QUOTE]

actually, this is somewhat close to how the whole thing started. my gf and i have been dating a longtime, long enough that marriage is basically inevitable. she doesnt really want to take my name and suggested i take her name, which i dont really want to do. so i jokingly said that id change my name (I said Rahl at the time, so yeah...). since then ive warmed up to the idea of doing it (not to Rahl though...), regardless of whether or not we get end up walking down the aisle.

im not too worried about my parents, they are divorced and have different last names as it is. my dad is quite apathetic about things and already has other sons and a grandson that can carry on the family name, so no big deal there.

Not a huge deal besides some paperwork at the county and state and federal. Most of which is a short form and it will start with a legal document such as a wedding certificate. if not that then you'd have to fill out a different form and go in front of a Judge.

SS was easy, you're out for two weeks without a card. Drivers was easy, show proof, SS and it's done. Smile!

Hardest parts were Credit cards since you need to fax them a bunch of crap... copies upon copies.

It's not difficult at all.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']actually, this is somewhat close to how the whole thing started. my gf and i have been dating a longtime, long enough that marriage is basically inevitable. she doesnt really want to take my name and suggested i take her name, which i dont really want to do. so i jokingly said that id change my name (I said Rahl at the time, so yeah...). since then ive warmed up to the idea of doing it (not to Rahl though...), regardless of whether or not we get end up walking down the aisle.

im not too worried about my parents, they are divorced and have different last names as it is. my dad is quite apathetic about things and already has other sons and a grandson that can carry on the family name, so no big deal there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, her parents had absolutely no problem with it. Mine... ugh. :p

Why is your gf/wife seeing her changing her last name to your last name considered sexist? It's tradition. The hyphen thing is strange and just makes it harder for people to pronounce/write (some people are too lazy to even try to pounce that. For teachers it can be an PITA if it's a long one :( )

However the wife of a good friend of mine from college kept her last name (never knew why) when they got married.

It's weird I know.

I knew a guy in elementary named Jacques Hoff. Of course we were too young to turn it into a tease...he moved....but then came back in high school...he was a nice guy so we didn't give him such a hard time ;)

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']actually, this is somewhat close to how the whole thing started. my gf and i have been dating a longtime, long enough that marriage is basically inevitable. she doesnt really want to take my name and suggested i take her name, which i dont really want to do. so i jokingly said that id change my name (I said Rahl at the time, so yeah...). since then ive warmed up to the idea of doing it (not to Rahl though...), regardless of whether or not we get end up walking down the aisle.

im not too worried about my parents, they are divorced and have different last names as it is. my dad is quite apathetic about things and already has other sons and a grandson that can carry on the family name, so no big deal there.[/QUOTE]

If you are just changing the last name as part of a marriage, then it's no big deal at all as far as I know. The marraige license asks for the last after the marriage for both the man and women. You can just list the new last name. No additional paperwork needed. That is how women "change their name" all the time as result of marriage and the same method applies to the man as well if desired (at least in MA where I was married). Go to your town hall and ask for a marriage "application" and see if that is an option in your state.

bread's done
Back