Anyone ever use this monitor? CHIMEI 221D Silver/Black 22"

You sure? 22 inches @ 1680 x 1050 scaled to 1366 x 768?

Is it possible to have it set where there is a black boarder all around the screen so it looks like 1366 x 768 as opposed to being stretched due to the difference?

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']You sure? 22 inches @ 1680 x 1050 scaled to 1366 x 768?

Is it possible to have it set where there is a black boarder all around the screen so it looks like 1366 x 768 as opposed to being stretched due to the difference?[/quote]

I have a 1680 x 1050 monitor. It's set to 1366x768. Looks incredible. Doesn't look stretched at all.

Chi Mei (CMO) Makes LCD Panels for a whole lot of other Brands. As for thier own Monitor quality, who knows.

22" is a bit too small for my tastes though as far as consoles go.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']You sure? 22 inches @ 1680 x 1050 scaled to 1366 x 768?

Is it possible to have it set where there is a black boarder all around the screen so it looks like 1366 x 768 as opposed to being stretched due to the difference?[/quote]

The main problem with image quality would come from choosing a resolution that isn't native to the monitor. Quality will depend on the scaler built into the monitor. It looks like it make a good gaming monitor withstanding that. Good contrast and refresh. They aren't awesome like 1000:1 and 2ms, but 800:1 and 5ms is still very good.

[quote name='Kayden']The main problem with image quality would come from choosing a resolution that isn't native to the monitor. Quality will depend on the scaler built into the monitor. It looks like it make a good gaming monitor withstanding that. Good contrast and refresh. They aren't awesome like 1000:1 and 2ms, but 800:1 and 5ms is still very good.[/QUOTE]

Typically the only time where Scaler matters is when you're dealing with Interlaced signals like 480i (Standard Def TV). However with the xbox 360, there's no issue. Since this monitor is 16:10 you will have very small black bars on top and bottom unless it decides to stretch it. Either way it's no big deal.

I just came back from my friends house who has his 360 hooked to a lcd monitor that is 1280x1024, looked pretty damn good. GoW was full screen and Rainbow Six was widescreen (black bars). I'm still confused on what to get.

[quote name='Kayden']The main problem with image quality would come from choosing a resolution that isn't native to the monitor. Quality will depend on the scaler built into the monitor. It looks like it make a good gaming monitor withstanding that. Good contrast and refresh. They aren't awesome like 1000:1 and 2ms, but 800:1 and 5ms is still very good.[/quote]
So you think it will look ok?

Unless it has 1:1 pixel mapping, it will look stretched.

For $300 I'd go with something else, unless of course Microsoft finally releases a patch with WXGA resolution support.

I don't know what else to get... I just noticed this review on newegg.

"
Pros: This monitor is GREAT. its huge, i went from a 17" lcd to this and the difference is amazing!! The picture is crisp and clear. I hooked up a XBOX 360 to this using the vga adapter and it really shows what the 360 can to. Bottom line is Buy This!!!
Cons: None!!!!
Other Thoughts: For the price you cant find a better monitor. Shipping was extremly fast, had 3 day ground and got it in 1."

[quote name='PyroGamer']Unless it has 1:1 pixel mapping, it will look stretched.

For $300 I'd go with something else, unless of course Microsoft finally releases a patch with WXGA resolution support.[/quote]

There is no stretching, and if there is it's not noticeable. I'm telling you, you'll love it.

I used to play on a 1440x900 monitor and noticed no stretching, just how much better my games looked.

Well I guess the other topic got closed... so here it is. The monitor posted first went up 38 bucks and I really didn't want to spend over 200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254005

Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

I'm thinking about getting this monitor, mostly due to the face that I don't have enough plugs in my dorm (one outlet) and I already have a my cellphone charger, laptop, light, and fridge hooked up. I read some reviews saying it looks good with a 360. What do you guys think?

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254009

Hanns·G JC-199DPB Black 19" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

This one has 1280 x 1024 so it is a native resolution. Both prices are the same....

Circuit City has a 19 inch Gateway and a 19 inch Samsung that have DVI, VGA, both support HDCP, and the Samsung has a 5 MS response time.
Both are $220 and with the $40 coupon come right around $200, plus no shipping, just pick up in store. Also, both brand names...

If you won't be using it for PC, then the DVI port would be great for an HD cable box.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Do both of those monitors have speakers built in though? That is pretty critical for me right now.[/quote]

Buying a monitor based on its speakers is like buying your car based on what the ashtray looks like.

ok... I already know that they are good quality, and I need speakers with the monitor still.

[quote name='Kayden']Buying a monitor based on its speakers is like buying your car based on what the ashtray looks like.[/quote]

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']ok... I already know that they are good quality, and I need speakers with the monitor still.[/quote]

I don't think they make monitors with speakers in them that don't sound like shit. If you're that hard up for sound, just get some decent headphones.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']Do both of those monitors have speakers built in though? That is pretty critical for me right now.[/QUOTE]

No, but I can assure you, you are better off with external speakers [PC type] or a small receiver set up.

Is there a particular reason the speakers are critical?

I'm thinking about getting this monitor, mostly due to the face that I don't have enough plugs in my dorm (one outlet) and I already have a my cellphone charger, laptop, light, and fridge hooked up. I read some reviews saying it looks good with a 360. What do you guys think?

I don't have enough outlets.

[quote name='sarausagi']No, but I can assure you, you are better off with external speakers [PC type] or a small receiver set up.

Is there a particular reason the speakers are critical?[/quote]

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']I'm thinking about getting this monitor, mostly due to the face that I don't have enough plugs in my dorm (one outlet) and I already have a my cellphone charger, laptop, light, and fridge hooked up. I read some reviews saying it looks good with a 360. What do you guys think?

I don't have enough outlets.[/QUOTE]

Umm, then perhaps what you need is a good SURGE PROTECTOR. 8 outlets and good protection shouldn't cost you more than $30.

I already do, but some of them are AC adapters and take up 2. And to get to the bottom of it. I don't want to blow money on a sound system. I live in a dorm with a room mate and when he is studying sleeping I won't be able to use it. Plus our RA's are dicks and always writes us up for loud noise.

[quote name='sarausagi']Umm, then perhaps what you need is a good SURGE PROTECTOR. 8 outlets and good protection shouldn't cost you more than $30.[/quote]

bread's done
Back